What are reasonable RVU expectations for the year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroKlitch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Entering a new job, outpatient , mix of addiction and adult psych, high functioning , supposedly about 10-15% no show rate . What are reasonable expectations for total RVU for the year. Are there special RVU codes for addiction or do dual diagnosis make it easier to bill for a 92214 ? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I mean pretty much all your patients are going to be 99214 in addiction/dual diagnosis if they’re seeing psychiatry. First of all like 50% of them are nicotine use disorder + whatever their main substance use disorder. Then everyone is going to get billed for whatever psychiatric disorder + substance use disorder. I mean maybe you’ll get the rare opioid use disorder only on suboxone patient with no other problems but I’m guessing those are gonna be few and far between.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any two diagnosis plus prescribing any medication = 99214. Spend 40 minutes or more on f/u = 99215. That's basically modern psychiatric billing, very much enjoying the simplified process. There is a little complexity if you want to do add-on psychotherapy but that's pretty easy as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Any two diagnosis plus prescribing any medication = 99214. Spend 40 minutes or more on f/u = 99215. That's basically modern psychiatric billing, very much enjoying the simplified process. There is a little complexity if you want to do add-on psychotherapy but that's pretty easy as well.

Is this rx a new med or do refills count as well? How does one learn about the psychotherapy add on?

Is this rx a new med or do refills count as well? How does one learn about the psychotherapy add on?
99214 includes news, refills, continuing, stopping, deciding not to start, etc. It's based on a medical decision regarding an Rx, not the act of writing an Rx.

I suggest you Google the codes and find their definitions. Plenty of posts on this forum discuss them ad nauseam.

This is pretty dependent on your setup. How good are the ancillary staff? How effective is the EMR? Those things really speed up/slow-down your rate of seeing patients. No-show management is important, of course.

Most generic hospital-employed outpatient gigs I have seen in my area ask for 4200-4800 RVU per year for a typical 32-36 hours of patient contact. Academics seems lower, but I don’t have direct experience there.

I've seen it written on the forum that $60/wRVU, but that's what I am seeing mostly in the Midwest. I've read that is not good and not even "average" anymore. Anyone else have different experience?