What are residency interviews like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Beard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My search-fu is weak, or this hasn't been discussed much:

What are residency interviews like? What are PDs interested in finding out?

I imagine they are somewhat different form medical school interviews, and doubt they would be much like a regular job interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on specialty. In Anesthesiology, they shower you with gift baskets, steak dinners, free rental cars, bottles of gold slick vodka, hospital ID badges titled "Dr.McLovin", and numbers for every attractive member of the opposite sex within 2 miles of the main hospital and off-campus pain clinics.

For Surgery, you show up at 3am, pay $5 when you need to use the bathroom, and the interview consists of licking the bathroom floor of the attendings' OR lounge.

In other words, be yourself!

My search-fu is weak, or this hasn't been discussed much:

What are residency interviews like? What are PDs interested in finding out?

I imagine they are somewhat different form medical school interviews, and doubt they would be much like a regular job interview.

Some interviews are group sessions where they invite 15-20 people on one day, they spend some time talking to you about the program and why you should come there and how you are all great candidates, and then they interview you all individually (occasionally in groups).

Others are more individualized, either you are the only person there that day or there are a couple of you and they keep you pretty much separated. You may interview with the PD, chairman, selected faculty, usually there will also be time with other current residents (usually over lunch) where you can ask questions of them and see the program itself and the facilities.

Which of these two types of day you have often depends on your specialty. Large specialties with large residency programs often are more like the former, and they will have maybe one interview day a week or one every two weeks or even one a month. Smaller specialties (like pathology, the one I am familiar with) is more likely to be like the latter, and you are the only candidate. Certain programs in certain specialties pay for your hotel and/or travel.

Interviews (one on one) can vary widely. Many of them will simply be "tell me about yourself and why you are interested in our program" followed by them talking about the program to you or asking you what questions you have (the most common interview questions are "tell me about yourself" and "what questions do you have").

The standard schedule for my interviews was to show up at 8 or 9, meet with the program director for an overview, then meet with a couple of faculty members individually, then it's lunchtime where you have lunch and a tour with residents, then maybe a couple more interviews, then a wrapup with the PD.

Usually they only interview people who they would be happy to accept at their program, and the interview is to see them in person, do a little more evaluating, and gauge other skills. They will want to know why you want to be at their program, what your career goals are (you might be unsure for some specifics, which is not a bad thing), what your talents are, etc. The application itself has a lot of information that they don't need to rehash again.

I interview for surgery, FWIW:

Almost every place I interviewed had some sore of social-esque gathering the evening before. Usually it was at a local restaurant but some were held at the hospital or an attending's home and one was actually at a bar. Most involved alcohol in varying amounts. They all included residents, as this was the time to talk to them about the program, but a few had attendings present as well. Be forewarned that your interview starts here, for better or for worst.

Interview days started early, usually between 6:30-8. The format varied little: registration where you got a bunch of materials about the program, continental breakfast, introductions of the chair and PD and an assortment of attendings, followed by some sort of presentation (usually PPT) about the program and the numbers the residents recorded in recent years. Then we usually did 2-3 30-40 minute interviews. Most places gave you a chance to meet with the chairman, either in group sessions or brief (i.e. 5-10 min) one-on-one sessions. A few places had the chair preferentially interview certain candidates only. At some point they will serve you lunch, and this is usually when the residents trickle in so you have the chance to meet with them again. The afternoon had a tour of the hospital. The day would usually end anywhere between 1-4pm. A few places mixed it up a little, but those elements were usually there.

As far as the interviews themselves, I was surprised at how easygoing they were overall. Remember that at this point they have seen your grades and scores, and (should) have read your CV and personal statement. They might pick up something in there to talk about, but it was usually more out of genuine interest rather than to grill you. I was asked about my triathlon hobby far more than I was asked about my research. I did not have good Step 1 scores, but this was only mentioned once to my recollection, and more as a joking aside rather than as a confrontation. I believe it really is true that if you get an interview, they think you are academically qualified enough to go there; the interview is their way of gauging what type of person you are. True to that, most of the interviewer spent some time "selling" their program to me. Overall, I did not find the personal interviews at all intimidating. Just relax, and be yourself. And as someone else said, BE VERY prepared for the "what can I tell you about our program" or "what questions do you have for me"....I heard that in every single interview.

Reactions: 1 user
As others have noted, and as you may suspect, they ARE different than medical school interviews.

I can recall only one (for surgery) at which I was pimped (Christiana...where I was asked by the former Chair what Ringer's Lactate contained) and only one place that questioned me about being a little older than the other candidates.

The goal is to really see whether or not you would fit in. Each program tends to have a "mind-set", a feel if you will. Residents who don't fit that mold tend not to be happy. My program, for example, tended toward down to earth types. Those who couldn't relax or seemed stiff were felt not to be good fits (too bad I guess if you were just nervous that day). Other places wouldn't want jokesters or are more interested in training researchers rather than clinicians.

They really are much more relaxing but do beware, all "social" events, tours, etc. can be fodder for evaluating you...you are always being interviewed, no matter how informally.:scared:

Wonderfully informative responses-->thank you!

As others have noted, and as you may suspect, they ARE different than medical school interviews.

I can recall only one (for surgery) at which I was pimped (Christiana...where I was asked by the former Chair what Ringer's Lactate contained) and only one place that questioned me about being a little older than the other candidates.

The goal is to really see whether or not you would fit in. Each program tends to have a "mind-set", a feel if you will. Residents who don't fit that mold tend not to be happy. My program, for example, tended toward down to earth types. Those who couldn't relax or seemed stiff were felt not to be good fits (too bad I guess if you were just nervous that day). Other places wouldn't want jokesters or are more interested in training researchers rather than clinicians.

They really are much more relaxing but do beware, all "social" events, tours, etc. can be fodder for evaluating you...you are always being interviewed, no matter how informally.:scared:

"...Ringer's Lactate contained..."

So, did you know? I would have chuckled and either said some other stuff that NS doesnt have in it... or Mrs Ringers milk.

"...Ringer's Lactate contained..."

So, did you know? I would have chuckled and either said some other stuff that NS doesnt have in it... or Mrs Ringers milk.

Nah...I pretty much stumbled and then he started saying, "why don't you know? You order it everyday don't you?" To which I wanted to reply, "no I don't because medical students aren't allowed to put in orders in my hospital."

Unpleasant times, unpleasant times.:laugh:

You know, I've kind of wondered how much your ability to answer the pimp questions that some interviewers ask determine how they rank you.

You know, I've kind of wondered how much your ability to answer the pimp questions that some interviewers ask determine how they rank you.

Hard to say. I know at my program very few of the faculty pimped during interviews (or at least admitted it) and when they did, the others tended to roll their eyes. Its usually the same people every year and you sort of develop a rep - we knew who was too harsh and who liked every one, etc.

Do programs usually pay for the pre-interview dinner, or does the applicant pay for his own meal? Just curious.

Do programs usually pay for the pre-interview dinner, or does the applicant pay for his own meal? Just curious.

You do not pay.

If a program invites you for a pre-interview dinner as part of the formal interview process, they pay. If they do not, I would seriously wonder about this program.

If some students or residents casually invite you out, then I would expect to pay.

You do not pay.

If a program invites you for a pre-interview dinner as part of the formal interview process, they pay. If they do not, I would seriously wonder about this program.

If some students or residents casually invite you out, then I would expect to pay.

for some of the places i'm planning to stay an extra day or come in early the day before, and i'd thought about inviting a resident or two out to dinner to informally (but yes, i know it counts) dine and chat. do you think this would be considered weird, or would it show genuine interest in the program and the community you're considering?

Interesting question. I am not sure. I do think it may be perceived as weird, but honestly--I'm not sure.

I would say that if you are planning on doing this, do it because you genuinely want to hear what they have to say and that you want the extra time to "feel out" the city. If you are doing so primarily to show interest, then skip it. Either way, be prepared for the strong possibility that no one will want to hang with you. No offense, but as a resident I barely see my family/SO as is, and I honestly don't want to spend the few free nights that I do have chatting up some strangers.

Perhaps try to arrange a visit over the weekend and mention (frequently) to the residents that you will be in town and fish for an invite out. Alternatively, if there are any alumni in town, touch base with them and see if they will help you out with arranging an evening.

sounds like a good thought. i agree it may sound weird, and i certainly don't want that. i think the idea about letting people know i'll be around an extra night on interview day is good, and if people are going out for a post-work drink i would like to tag along to check out the kinda stuff young adults do in that city.

Interesting question. I am not sure. I do think it may be perceived as weird, but honestly--I'm not sure.

I would say that if you are planning on doing this, do it because you genuinely want to hear what they have to say and that you want the extra time to "feel out" the city. If you are doing so primarily to show interest, then skip it. Either way, be prepared for the strong possibility that no one will want to hang with you. No offense, but as a resident I barely see my family/SO as is, and I honestly don't want to spend the few free nights that I do have chatting up some strangers.

Perhaps try to arrange a visit over the weekend and mention (frequently) to the residents that you will be in town and fish for an invite out. Alternatively, if there are any alumni in town, touch base with them and see if they will help you out with arranging an evening.

i think if you say you'll be in town for the weekend and want to know if there's anything going on, at least one or two of the more social residents will invite you out.

try to avoid getting trashed and making out with anyone though... (true story about a girl in our class who applied to urology last year).

i think if you say you'll be in town for the weekend and want to know if there's anything going on, at least one or two of the more social residents will invite you out.

I think saying that you'll be in town and asking if there is anything you should see (ie, sights of the city) you should mention that, but I would avoid inviting residents to join you. Let them take the bait. As noted above, they have so little time to spend with their families and doing things on their own, that even if you were the most friendly, best looking and interesting candidate they had ever met, having to take you out to dinner seems like another job.

try to avoid getting trashed and making out with anyone though... (true story about a girl in our class who applied to urology last year).

We have had our share of candidates who drink too much at the social event the night before, but my favorite was the guy who got drunk and asked out one of our female attendings. One who is gay. One who is pretty much clearly gay.:laugh:

We have had our share of candidates who drink too much at the social event the night before, but my favorite was the guy who got drunk and asked out one of our female attendings. One who is gay. One who is pretty much clearly gay.:laugh:

Did he get in???

(I meant into the program, you pervert.)

:p

Yeah, our senior resident was giving some of the students a talk about residency interviews and mentioned to be relaxed, but watch your behavior during those dinner interviews because people talk. He pointed out an intern who brought his wife and he got along with them so well he put a word in with the program director. And then there was another guy who was so obnoxious the whole night that several people made sure to mention not to rank him.

Of course not. You can't let someone that dimwitted anywhere near the operating room (and apparently lots of alcohol). I always wondered if he matched elsewhere.:laugh:

i thought programs get to see where all the candidates they rank ultimately match. in any case, you'd think you wouldn't need to advise someone who's about to graduate from med school that getting hammered in front of prospective colleagues is a poor choice. but clearly it happens from these kinds of stories. personally, i'm planning on no more than 1 EtOH equivalent every 2 hours.

i thought programs get to see where all the candidates they rank ultimately match.

You usually do find out from the PD; I just wasn't interested enough to follow up on that guy.

in any case, you'd think you wouldn't need to advise someone who's about to graduate from med school that getting hammered in front of prospective colleagues is a poor choice. but clearly it happens from these kinds of stories. personally, i'm planning on no more than 1 EtOH equivalent every 2 hours.

You'd think wouldn't you...but I guess some people either have poor impulse control or use ETOH to calm their nerves.:rolleyes:

As far as dress code, is not wearing a standard black suit ok? Like could I wear a grey suit with a blue shirt? How far can we push the envelope? I really would like to change it up.

for plastic i had

4 visual-spatial exams...graded then placed in file for the interviewers
2 required drawings that they placed in file..one was just face, other
was front/side view
1 carve a bar of soap into a nose
about 3/4 of the programs pimped...either questions, pictures, and where i matched...a CT scan
a couple med school like questions...if you were x in the year 2015 and this happened what would you do....

needless to say after spending like 10k to planes/trains/ and autos...and to put up with all that...dont miss those days

As far as dress code, is not wearing a standard black suit ok? Like could I wear a grey suit with a blue shirt? How far can we push the envelope? I really would like to change it up.

I don't see that as "pushing the envelope".

As long as you aren't turning up in one of those purple, knee length jacketed suits like Steve Harvey used to wear, you should be fine.

i certainly plan to wear such attire. i happen to look better in blue shirts than white. as long as your clothing isn't going to get you noticed either way, i'm sure it's fine.