What are some alternative career options for people with low gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile8888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to post this here because I don't know where else to ask and what to do. My SO is graduating from college next spring with a biochem degree. She is a pre-med, but her GPA is definitely not competitive enough to get in (~2.7cGPA and ~2.1sGPA) from respectable UC in SoCal. I'd really appreciate if I can get some advice on what someone can do with a low gpa in biochem degree. With a 2.1 sGPA, I suspect postbacc programs are not an option. What are some alternative careers she should look into pursuing if med school is no longer an option?

It's been a very stressful and depressing issue I am currently dealing with, especially how much I want to help her achieve her dream of getting into med school, but knowing that it's almost impossible at this point. So, any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Grade replacement and DO?

SMP or other programs might be perfect unless she misses their cutoff
Or some type of hands-on clinical job (EMT,Paramedic, Tech)>PA
Or nursing > NP
Does she really want to do healthcare? Do you think she's a good fit for a healthcare job?
Shoot, it doesn't have to be direct patient care. It could be administrative.

Part of the answer will depend on why the GPA is so low - ability or poor priorities?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to post this here because I don't know where else to ask and what to do. My SO is graduating from college next spring with a biochem degree. She is a pre-med, but her GPA is definitely not competitive enough to get in (~2.7cGPA and ~2.1sGPA) from respectable UC in SoCal. I'd really appreciate if I can get some advice on what someone can do with a low gpa in biochem degree. With a 2.1 sGPA, I suspect postbacc programs are not an option. What are some alternative careers she should look into pursuing if med school is no longer an option?

It's been a very stressful and depressing issue I am currently dealing with, especially how much I want to help her achieve her dream of getting into med school, but knowing that it's almost impossible at this point. So, any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Post-bacc isn't impossible, but quite nearly impossible if she doesn't have a stellar resume outside of her gpa. Any chance of that?

Otherwise, grade replacement and DO is a good path

Plenty of non medical fields available. Didn't LizzyM have a sig at some point playing off the ncaa:

90% of premeds go pro in something other than medicine

Reactions: 1 users
Plenty of non medical fields available. Didn't LizzyM have a sig at some point playing off the ncaa:

90% of premeds go pro in something other than medicine
This. Unless she's set on MD/DO. Can be done in that case- really won't be easy though

Grade replacement and DO?
Post-bacc isn't impossible, but quite nearly impossible if she doesn't have a stellar resume outside of her gpa. Any chance of that?

Otherwise, grade replacement and DO is a good path

With grade replacement, her sGPA still only stands at 2.45, which is not competitive enough for DO schools. And even if she does take the MCAT, I think it'll be hard for her to break a 20.

What other options do you really have at this point? Alternative career options?

SMP or other programs might be perfect unless she misses their cutoff
Or some type of hands-on clinical job (EMT,Paramedic, Tech)>PA
Or nursing > NP
Does she really want to do healthcare? Do you think she's a good fit for a healthcare job?
Shoot, it doesn't have to be direct patient care. It could be administrative.

Part of the answer will depend on why the GPA is so low - ability or poor priorities?

As hard as it is for me to say, I think it's due to her ability rather than poor priorities. I do believe that science is just not her area of strength. I feel like her GPA might not even be competitive enough for PA, Pharm, Opto, etc.

Will nursing be an option? I don't know. I've been telling her she could look into social work. And how do you go about getting into administrative aspects of healthcare?

I second DO w/ grade replacement assuming she actually knows enough material to conquer the mcat

I second DO w/ grade replacement assuming she actually knows enough material to conquer the mcat

Yeah, i'd recommend her to do that if I think she'd be able to conquer the mcat. I guess I am kind of looking more into other career options that I can get her to start thinking (that's plausible with her gpa), and how to get there.

Yeah, i'd recommend her to do that if I think she'd be able to conquer the mcat. I guess I am kind of looking more into other career options that I can get her to start thinking (that's plausible with her gpa), and how to get there.
What are her strengths?

She could get her MRS degree.

I don't know any premeds who ended up in med school and they all do some sort of lab job. One works with at a food safety lab, another at a pharm lab, etc. Sorry I can't say where or how they got these jobs but they are all in pretty standard lab jobs. A few science majors I know also ended up in physical therapy tech like jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do believe that science is just not her area of strength. I feel like her GPA might not even be competitive enough for PA, Pharm, Opto, etc.

Will nursing be an option? I don't know. I've been telling her she could look into social work. And how do you go about getting into administrative aspects of healthcare?
If she's more hands-on rather than intellectual, she could become a paramedic, work for some years, then maybe go to PA school. The grades would matter less with the experience. Of course going back to school later on would depend on your busyness and relationship.
Social work might not be a bad idea. Medical social workers work in hospitals. She could focus on counseling and do more mental health as well (MSW, LMFT, PhD, PsyD).
She could do healthcare admin with a MHS/MPH/MPA/MBA.
Policy with a MPP/MPH.
Public health might be another good field - health education, marketing, etc - http://www.whatispublichealth.org/

I don't know any premeds who ended up in med school and they all do some sort of lab job. One works with at a food safety lab, another at a pharm lab, etc. Sorry I can't say where or how they got these jobs but they are all in pretty standard lab jobs. A few science majors I know also ended up in physical therapy tech like jobs.
Yeah, PT might be another good option.

Or some sort of technician - ultrasound tech, cardiac tech, radiation tech, etc.

There are literally tons of health/science related jobs out there besides medicine.

Have her go through this site - http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/home

She could get her MRS degree.
haha. we are both in our early twenties. too early for that right now. maybe some day down the road if things work out.

Or some sort of technician - ultrasound tech, cardiac tech, radiation tech, etc.

There are literally tons of health/science related jobs out there besides medicine.

If she's more hands-on rather than intellectual, she could become a paramedic, work for some years, then maybe go to PA school. The grades would matter less with the experience. Of course going back to school later on would depend on your busyness and relationship.
Social work might not be a bad idea. Medical social workers work in hospitals. She could focus on counseling and do more mental health as well (MSW, LMFT, PhD, PsyD).
She could do healthcare admin with a MHS/MPH/MPA/MBA.
Policy with a MPP/MPH.
Public health might be another good field - health education, marketing, etc - http://www.whatispublichealth.org/

wow this is awesome! thank you so much guys! this is very helpful. but the thing with getting more degrees like MPP/MPH/MHS/MPA/MBA is, will it be hard to get into those programs with a low gpa (~2.7cGPA/2.1sGPA)?

Yes it may be hard for any graduate program with a lower gpa. I went the graduate school route initially and even though it's a whole different animal than medical school gpa is still of prime importance. I would argue gpa is more important than anything else in grad school. That's the main reason I suggest some type of lab job over grad school. The people I know with some form of bio and chem degree seem fairly happy with their jobs. They make enough money to afford a small house with their spouse, work 9-5 only, have every weekend off etc that a normal job entails. Most of them seem pretty happy they are done with school forever, are making money, and don't have to think about work after they're off. It might be a let down at first but there's certainly an up side to it. Best of luck to you two!

MBA at an institution that would be worth the degree isn't obtainable without substantial work experience. Unlike medicine, it's one of those degree where the school name and the connections you make have more importance than the initials themselves. Most people are not competitive coming from undergrad.

I think PT would be a pretty cool career, especially if your SO is interested in athletics at all. If not, the physical rehab part of recovery is an incredibly important part of medicine. I know a lot of people that went the DPT route over med school and seem to be enjoying it.

Yes it may be hard for any graduate program with a lower gpa. I went the graduate school route initially and even though it's a whole different animal than medical school gpa is still of prime importance. I would argue gpa is more important than anything else in grad school. That's the main reason I suggest some type of lab job over grad school. The people I know with some form of bio and chem degree seem fairly happy with their jobs. They make enough money to afford a small house with their spouse, work 9-5 only, have every weekend off etc that a normal job entails. Most of them seem pretty happy they are done with school forever, are making money, and don't have to think about work after they're off. It might be a let down at first but there's certainly an up side to it. Best of luck to you two!

thanks QuantumJ!

MBA at an institution that would be worth the degree isn't obtainable without substantial work experience. Unlike medicine, it's one of those degree where the school name and the connections you make have more importance than the initials themselves. Most people are not competitive coming from undergrad.

I think PT would be a pretty cool career, especially if your SO is interested in athletics at all. If not, the physical rehab part of recovery is an incredibly important part of medicine. I know a lot of people that went the DPT route over med school and seem to be enjoying it.

yeah I agree. do you know how important undergrad gpa is to get into PT or DPT? or are experiences (i.e. EMT, paramedics, or other related experiences) much more of a deciding factor?

Is she interested at all in nursing? It's still in the medical field and has solid job prospects always. Some nursing schools have one year RN programs for people that have graduated with a 4 year degree in some other major. She'd have to take some other classes as pre-reqs like anatomy and early child develop before applying.

I think she would have an extremely difficult time getting into a PT program. With her GPAs she will have a hard time getting into any grad program and from what you said an even harder time being successful if she does somehow gain acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user

She will have no chance at physical therapy with those grades if thats what PT is referring to. Average for most programs is 3.6+ and there is no grade replacement

haha. we are both in our early twenties. too early for that right now. maybe some day down the road if things work out.

wow this is awesome! thank you so much guys! this is very helpful. but the thing with getting more degrees like MPP/MPH/MHS/MPA/MBA is, will it be hard to get into those programs with a low gpa (~2.7cGPA/2.1sGPA)?

MPH & MBA are pretty competitive fields. My gf is getting her MPH right now from a cal state and she barely got in with a 3.3

Plus, MPH and MBA programs often require or prefer applicants to have at least 2 years of work experience before theyd consider your application.

Also to add to what I wrote above, if she decided to do MBA, where she gets her MBA matters a lot.

You have a variety of options.

I think LizzyM said that individuals who are not cut out for medicine go for Pharma rep/Medical device rep, but I would not like those jobs. Just look at CafePharma forums to see what people say about their jobs (obviously biased).

You could always work those jobs and get a second bachelor's, to be competitive for graduate school. However you get that bachelor's degree is up to you. I am enrolled at courses online at Arizona State University - Online next semester (I am transferring out due to an extenuating circumstance that is causing me to be unsuccessful in a traditional setting) and they have been phenomenal. The tuition is a flat rate for in-state and out-of-state students. There is no designation at ASU between in-person and online courses, so there is no designation on my transcript or diploma. Other reputable schools offering online degrees include Washington State University, Oregon State University, University of Florida, and Penn State. You just need to get in contact with the admissions counselors to find out if there is any sort of designation on your transcript or diploma that you took online courses.

Also, check out the Guaranteed 4.0 Plan. There are lots of students who have previously not done well who are now successful, but this plan requires a lot of work.

Thanks guys for ideas and advice.

So from what I gather, the following are viable options:
-PA rout (maybe a few years of EMT/paramedic experiences first before going into PA)
-Medical Social Work (MSW, LMFT, PhD, PsyD)
-Lab positions
-Some sort of technician
-Pharm rep/Medical device rep.
-Go for a second bachelor's sometime down the road

Correct me if any of these options are not possible or if there's anything else to add.

n=1 but I know someone who had a ~2-ish GPA who got into RN school (granted, this was awhile ago, things may be more competitive now) and hopes to become an NP.
I currently work in allied health and although you are in the medical field, IMHO, the work is completely different from practicing medicine. Because we aren't MDs, we have fairly strict limits on what we can and can't do, and this limited scope of practice tends to encourage tunnel vision rather than intellectual curiosity and critical thinking. It was so bad that I started the med school application process before I was even done with my training.