What are some formal, gpa enhancing post-bac programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msasnmonki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduated this past summer with a GPA of 2.9 in molecular cell biology, and science of 3.0, havnt taken mcat yet, but been getting below 30. I'm considering doing formal, gpa enhancing post-bac. did some research on my own, and know that Finch, Drexel, Georgetown, Upenn have some great MS programs. Are there anymore schools out there that have simliar programs?

Thanks a bunch~ ;)

Members don't see this ad.

msasnmonki said:
I'm graduated this past summer with a GPA of 2.9 in molecular cell biology, and science of 3.0, havnt taken mcat yet, but been getting below 30. I'm considering doing formal, gpa enhancing post-bac.
Just so you know, on AMCAS (allopathic, MD application) your graduate and undergraduate courses are grouped separately. (I don't know about the AACOMAS, osteopathic, DO app) So doing a special masters program may not provide the gpa-enhancement you seek. Just wanted to clear that up.

If I were in your shoes, I would at least raise my undergrad cumulative gpa above 3.0. You're just about there anyway. Some schools screen and for some that screen/cut-off may in fact be an undergrad 3.0.

You mentioned Drexel...

Drexel's IMS program is only a master's program if you stay for an additional year. (Master of Medical Science, MMS). But that first year you DO get to take med classes.

Drexel's MSP program is one year mixed grad/undergrad classes (I believe). If you stay for a 2nd year then you get the Master of Biomedical Science, MBS, degree.

Also look at this website:
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

You can do a search there and call up / email the ones you're interested in. You mentioned UPenn Special Science...another one is at Duquesne. Duquesne has a formal, enhancement-track, undergrad postbac program.
http://www.duq.edu/postbac/

From that same AAMC site above you can also see some of the other "special masters programs"

Oh and this is helpful too:
http://hpap.syr.edu/LISTPB.HTM

did some research on my own, and know that Finch, Drexel, Georgetown, Upenn have some great MS programs. Are there anymore schools out there that have simliar programs?
The UPenn you're referring to (I'm assuming special science) is not a master's program.

If you are specifically looking for one year master's programs similar to Finch/Georgetown/Drexel (sort of), here's some others:

*UMDNJ-Newark MS Biomedical Sciences (take some med classes here too--typically more than one year though)
*EVMS (similar to G-town, Finch)
*VCU (premed-certificate, but you're taking classes with med students)
Edit for VCU: you take classes with masters and PhD students
*Tulane MS in (cell bio/genetics I believe)
*Northwestern (neuro something or other)
*Colorado State Plan B Master of Biomedical Science (not w/ med students)
*Barry Master of Biomedical Sciences (w/ pod students)
*Loyola MA Medical Sciences
*Boston U MA Medical Sciences

All of these have been mentioned at some point in the postbac forum--so search for any that you think sound interesting

Hope that helps!

Phil

PS Also, some of these programs require the MCAT. The earliest you can take it is April, so you may be cutting it close. Some of these programs will take the GRE though. Something to consider...
PPS If you're not in any special hurry there are MANY traditional masters programs that are basically FREE (often you're required to do research, do a teaching assistantship, etc.). Most of them take two years though. But if money's an issue...I think that's definitely an option to look into.

You do not take classes with the med students at VCU - you take classes with masters and PhD students.

Members don't see this ad :)
phil,
thanks for the info. the links are extremely helpful. Are u enrolled, attended, or planning to apply for any post bac yourself?

VPDcurt said:
You do not take classes with the med students at VCU - you take classes with masters and PhD students.
I stand corrected! :oops:
msasnmonki said:
phil,
thanks for the info. the links are extremely helpful. Are u enrolled, attended, or planning to apply for any post bac yourself?
I'm in the process of a do-it-yourself postbac before applying to special masters for the fall of 2005. I plan to apply to 5-10 masters programs for next fall, many of which I named in my previous post. I will probably apply osteopathic and allopathic next summer and hopefully enter the special masters during the app cycle.

Phil Anthropist said:
*UMDNJ-Newark MS Biomedical Sciences (take some med classes here too--typically more than one year though)
*EVMS (similar to G-town, Finch)
*VCU (premed-certificate, but you're taking classes with med students)
Edit for VCU: you take classes with masters and PhD students
*Tulane MS in (cell bio/genetics I believe)
*Northwestern (neuro something or other)
*Colorado State Plan B Master of Biomedical Science (not w/ med students)
*Barry Master of Biomedical Sciences (w/ pod students)
*Loyola MA Medical Sciences
*Boston U MA Medical Sciences

Great post, Phil - this list should be part of the post-bacc sticky.

My advice to you is that you should ask yourself whether you want a straight Master's, a medical Master's that's with first year med students, or simply more undergrad work. The answer to that question will carry you far.

Penn does have a 'design-your-own' post-bacc master's program here, but I think there are better options. Penn's SSP is completely different from this; if I were you, I would consider the SSP.

If you're considering Penn's SSP, you might as well think about Harvard. Their undergrad post-bacc is open enrollment and CHEAP, a combo that's tough to beat. They have 'grad classes,' in the sense that they're the same as the undergrad classes, and they just charge you more money for them. Harvard also has a regular master's program, but it's not free.