Backwoods Boy

Veritas vos liberabit
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Southern Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
I know about South and LECOM. I know they are both pretty small. I was just wondering what some others were.

The main reason I am asking is because I am from a very rural area. I know everyone around and they all know me. My H.S. class had 105. I just seem to feel more comfortable around that kind of enviroment with smaller class sizes and every knows everyone.

I am not saying that I am looking for just rural schools, I just mean smaller schools.

Note: When I apply, I will more than likely have a wide spectrum of school types. I just want to see if there are some good, small schools out there that I may take interest in.

Last edited:

cinnamoroll12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
UCSD takes in 60 students each year, and it's fairly a new school.

ajh88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
Creighton's campus class is 110, so about the size of your H.S. class. Omaha isn't really all that urban either (IMHO) and being the biggest city in Nebraska doesn't count - it's a small'ish city.

Are you at a small college for your pre-reqs too? Or are you looking for 0-6 schools?

I had never thought about it but my H.S. graduating class was 54 kids, and I'm in Creighton's distance class with 55 students...hmmm, weird.

About the Ads

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
NYC, Baby!
Status
Medical Student

Backwoods Boy

Veritas vos liberabit
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Southern Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
ajh, actually my pre-req school is fairly large. Southern Illinois - Carbondale, over 20,000 students.

cinnimoroll, ok thanks.

medicalcpa, Thanks a lot. I was trying to find a place to search for them.

drugdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
And actually there's 54 of us now.....even odder!

Creighton's campus class is 110, so about the size of your H.S. class. Omaha isn't really all that urban either (IMHO) and being the biggest city in Nebraska doesn't count - it's a small'ish city.

Are you at a small college for your pre-reqs too? Or are you looking for 0-6 schools?

I had never thought about it but my H.S. graduating class was 54 kids, and I'm in Creighton's distance class with 55 students...hmmm, weird.

evilolive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Our class size at Michigan ranges from 70-80, one of the smallest pharmacy schools out there as a part of one of the biggest schools in the nation. It's quite a unique experience in a quaint affluent town.

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Yeah, Creighton is small-ish...

Look at Univ of Wyoming or Univ of Montana or North Dakota St or South Dakota State. When it comes to small, look towards the rocky mt/midwest states...

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Overall in size USP is small (~2800 students). However, you will be coming in with close to 300some classmates. However, don't worry, it will drop to the low 200s before you can blink an eye. :laugh:

ajh88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
And actually there's 54 of us now.....even odder!
Oh yeah - I forgot about that! My brain is really toast...:sleep:

And Backwoods Boy, I didn't even notice you're in Southern Illinois - I'm in St. Louis. I'd check out SIU-Edwardsville - I think their entering class is in the 80-82 range and in-state tuition would be nice too.

drugdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Oh yeah - I forgot about that! My brain is really toast...:sleep:

And Backwoods Boy, I didn't even notice you're in Southern Illinois - I'm in St. Louis. I'd check out SIU-Edwardsville - I think their entering class is in the 80-82 range and in-state tuition would be nice too.
I'm getting pretty fried too now. It doesn't seem like I'm getting thru things quickly. I have NOTHING to do but study until finals, but it still seems like it's not enough time!! :(

Backwoods Boy

Veritas vos liberabit
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Southern Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
I've looked into SIUE before. SIUE is basically a guaranteed application unless something happens. Edwardsville is roughly an hour and a half from my house.

About the Ads

JeremyE30

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Univ. of Appalachia is a small rural school, and they have a very positive mission for rural pharmacists.

Kirbypuff

Worldling
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
St. John Fisher in Rochester, NY. 75 per class. A part of their philosophy includes learning in a small community.

AngelaCL

10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'd say most pharmacy schools have pharmacy classes of around 110 +/ 30. However, the size of the overall campus population is going to vary quite a bit.

monsterbrain

Drinking for sanity.
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
corn country
Status
Pharmacy Student
I've looked into SIUE before. SIUE is basically a guaranteed application unless something happens. Edwardsville is roughly an hour and a half from my house.
Huh? They had over 600 applicants last year and only selected 82. How is that guaranteed? I guess it could be if you already attend SIUE undergrad and have a 4.0 GPA and a 90+ PCAT.

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
Midwestern -IL Is a small school. The class size for pharmd is 200....but the total number of students in school is just under 2000.

Moxxie

Rained out
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Temperate Rainforest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Idaho State currently only accepts 60 each year, but they are working towards increasing this eventually to 80 per year. My class started with 60, but we only have 56 now.

Sarapary

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
University of Charleston. 75 -80 students per class. Wonderful school, I absolutely love every minute of it.

MistaJeffasinnn

10+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2009
Omaha, NE
Status
Pharmacy Student

How is Omaha a "smallish city"? It has a population of about 420,000 and is the 42nd largest city in the United States. Anyway to stay on topic of the thread UNMC(Nebraska Medical Center) has a class size of 65 for each incoming class.

About the Ads