What are the benefits of a school with a stronger commitment to research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know what I’ve heard from a few folks, but I’d like to pose this to people on SDN?

If you intend to work in Primary Care, what are the benefits of attending a school with a stronger opportunities in research?

Besides the fact that research can help the world, is completing research in medical school critical for getting into certain programs, certain specialties? Does it make a significant difference in getting matched?

Members don't see this ad.

You are more competitive for residencies. Including primary care.

Reactions: 3 users
You are more competitive for residencies. Including primary care.
This. If you want to go to a competitive residency, even in a PC field, you’d need research. Going to a school with research opportunities will give you a leg up. Otherwise, you’d have to go find these yourselves and that’s not easy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The name will open doors or at least allow you the opportunity to approach doors already slightly ajar.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, it's all a matter of perspective. If you truly want to go into primary care and want to go into a residency that's super big on primary care and less so on research, I'd say that research matters less. But if you want to go to a so-called "top" program (the top programs are typically top research programs) then you definitely will need research.

Regarding specialties, it again depends on perspective. If you want to go into primary care, you're going to have less competition to begin with so research matters less than if you want to go into, say, derm. But it'll also depend on the program. If you want a top primary care program (and top programs are typically research heavy programs), then research would benefit you.

Reactions: 1 users