What are the best OMFS programs in terms of Comprehensiveness?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GenGts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for OMFS programs? I'm trying to collect a list of top schools in the US. Those that have a good mix of orthogrnathic, malignancy, plastics, implants, trauma, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

The best program is the one you get into and are willing to commit yourself to working hard once you get there.

OHSU, Alabama, Houston, Emory, UCSF....

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on who you ask. Historically, programs considered to be broad-scope are Bama, Shreveport, New Orleans (at least it used to be), Parkland, OHSU, and probably others. Also, I get the impression that Carle Clinic has really expanded their scope in recent years with the addition of Bailey.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the scope of a program is completely determined by the attending faculty. So obviously, as faculty move around and retire, a program can change dramaticaly, even within the length of a 6 year residency. The legendary programs of old may not be what they used to.......

New Orleans is still rocking! We got it all baby!:thumbup: Can't wait to find out who our "newbies" are.

Shreveport, Parkland, UAB, Pitt and New Orleans are probably the widest scope. Maybe Maryland.

I think we have a pretty wide scope at U of Michigan as well. Our case log includes:
cancer resection +/- neck dissection +/- reconstruction with free or regional flaps, microsurgery in free flap or nerve repair, orthognathic sx, cleft palate sx (we are part of cleft team), bimax for obstructive sleep apnea (we are part of sleep apnea team), all kinds of open TMJ sx, trauma, trauma reconstructions, pediatric oral surgery (anything from simple dentoalveolar to craniofacial stuff), tracheostomy (we do all trachs for medical ICU here), and office procedures (sedation, 3rds, implants, bone grafts etc).
The only thing we don't do much is cosmetics, although there are usually some cosmetic components in the trauma reconstructions that we do.

For overall scope I'd agree with Jedi (Shreveport, Parkland, Pitt, New Orleans, UAB) - it sounds like Carle might have a comparable scope - Kentucky has a broad scope although lacking in cosmetics - they do a lot at Emory as well - there are other programs too that perhaps are not as well rounded but you could argue are "broad scope" because they do things a lot of programs don't - Knoxville and their cancer caseload comes to mind

I've heard UMDNJ is the northeast sleeper program. LIJ has a pretty good scope for the northeast. Not sure about scope of surgery, but everyone loves Louisville. Some would say Miami is broad scope. Also heard they do a lot at UMKC. As for California, I forgot Loma Linda, which is super busy and a very strong program.

Carle is weak in TMJ and elective cosmetics. The orthognathics are adequate, not great. Along with some of the programs mentioned above it has very strong craniofacial/cleft lip/palate/alveolus/VPI, dermatologic surgery, and head and neck path which from my experience is somewhat rare around the country considering all programs.

There are a ton of programs out there that can say, "we do tons of everything but Fill in the blank" San Antonio does a lot of orthognathics, some cosmetics, a fair number of implants and a ton of trauma. Fairly traditional program. It does not have a TON of cosmetics and it has zero cancer or CL/P surgery. If you don't want to do cancer or CL/P, then it is okay.

As far as "broadest scope" goes, Parkland, Shreveport, New Orleans (prior to Katrina? Dunno now), UAB, Pitt and maybe Maryland are the ones that I have always heard spoken of in that manner.

Carle is weak in TMJ and elective cosmetics. The orthognathics are adequate, not great. Along with some of the programs mentioned above it has very strong craniofacial/cleft lip/palate/alveolus/VPI, dermatologic surgery, and head and neck path which from my experience is somewhat rare around the country considering all programs.

Very strong in Trauma as well.... No Plastics or ENT coverage for trauma. The only Level 1 Trauma center for a 40 county radius. It all falls on OMFS shoulders. They don't get a lot of "penetrating trauma/gunshot wounds" from urban warriors, but you will be amazed at the # industrial accidents and the #of MVA rolloever ejections/panfacial fractures and horrific lacerations people sustain on FLAT STRAIGHT ROADS!.

What's everyone's opinion of MetroHealth? Any specific focuses? Is it a good program?

At least they know how to "match residents"

There are a ton of programs out there that can say, "we do tons of everything but Fill in the blank" San Antonio does a lot of orthognathics, some cosmetics, a fair number of implants and a ton of trauma. Fairly traditional program. It does not have a TON of cosmetics and it has zero cancer or CL/P surgery. If you don't want to do cancer or CL/P, then it is okay.

As far as "broadest scope" goes, Parkland, Shreveport, New Orleans (prior to Katrina? Dunno now), UAB, Pitt and maybe Maryland are the ones that I have always heard spoken of in that manner.

I looked at the numbers for each area of OMS the year after Katrina and compared them to the numbers for the past 2 years before Katrina. Procedures in cosmetics, TMJ, orthognathic, implants were close to the same. Trauma has dropped by about 1/3, but that may actually be a good thing since if anything the Big Easy was heavy there. The residents have always spent several months in North Carolina at the private practice of M. Tucker which always keeps the numbers high.

I looked at the numbers for each area of OMS the year after Katrina and compared them to the numbers for the past 2 years before Katrina. Procedures in cosmetics, TMJ, orthognathic, implants were close to the same. Trauma has dropped by about 1/3, but that may actually be a good thing since if anything the Big Easy was heavy there. The residents have always spent several months in North Carolina at the private practice of M. Tucker which always keeps the numbers high.

Oddly enough......Our trauma has increased by 1/3.

Oddly enough......Our trauma has increased by 1/3.

With all that extra trauma, have you figured out how to wire jaws without stabbing yourself with the wires? Or is that limited to practising on plastic mandibles while staring at large-breasted, blonde, ENT attendings?

I agree with River. The only current issue is now our program is split between 2 cities (Baton Rouge and NOLA). University Hospital, a sister hospital of Charity and down the street, recently re-opened and is our planned future home base.

I agree with River. The only current issue is now our program is split between 2 cities (Baton Rouge and NOLA). University Hospital, a sister hospital of Charity and down the street, recently re-opened and is our planned future home base.

Good for you guys. That is a lot of crap to have to deal with and I wouldn't wish it on anybody, particularly during a residency. It is also good to hear New Orleans is up and running well. It was one of the top five and should remain so.