what are the cutoffs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdforlife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of you talk about computer cutoffs when applying to med school- that's when applications get cut off before even being looked at by a computer.
Does anyone know what are those cutoff #s (GPA and MCAT)?
Any school that you know?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school - some have automatic cutoffs, some don't. When I was at UCSD, someone called the office to ask about this, and I remember the admissions secretary answering quite politely what the minimum MCAT was - I *think* it was a 7 in each section, but I'm not sure at all, so get it from a better source than me. I don't think you should be afraid to call schools that you're interested in individually and find out so you don't waste your time and money if you're going to be automatically rejected.

Cutoffs are what people wore in the 80's when they wore holes in their jeans and figured they could use a new pair of jean shorts. Can also double as a classy swimsuit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Northerner
Cutoffs are what people wore in the 80's when they wore holes in their jeans and figured they could use a new pair of jean shorts. Can also double as a classy swimsuit.

You bastard, you stole my line!! :mad:

UCSF is 30 MCAT, 3.5 gpa to get a secondary. Take this with a grain of salt of course, but it comes from a reliable source, so it is [at least] how they did things two years ago. I'm sure applicants with <30,3.5 get secondaries all the time for other reasons though, but it might give you an idea of where cutoffs can be...

I got rejected presecondary with 3.69 and34Q. :cool:

*hands you your grain of salt* ;)

haha thanks. also, thanks for providing distractions from my studying for a midterm.

midterm shmidterm.

Why study when you can busy yourself wondering about the complexities and absurdities of the med school admissions process? :p

I've been doing that (along with others) the past 8 months.

P.S. Hey I saw your location; thought that was cool since I'm in Davis, CA. :)

Woohoo! YAY UCs! :clap: