mdforlife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2004
Status (Visible)
A lot of you talk about computer cutoffs when applying to med school- that's when applications get cut off before even being looked at by a computer.
Does anyone know what are those cutoff #s (GPA and MCAT)?
Any school that you know?

scrabbler

too much sugar
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
It depends on the school - some have automatic cutoffs, some don't. When I was at UCSD, someone called the office to ask about this, and I remember the admissions secretary answering quite politely what the minimum MCAT was - I *think* it was a 7 in each section, but I'm not sure at all, so get it from a better source than me. I don't think you should be afraid to call schools that you're interested in individually and find out so you don't waste your time and money if you're going to be automatically rejected.

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Status (Visible)
Cutoffs are what people wore in the 80's when they wore holes in their jeans and figured they could use a new pair of jean shorts. Can also double as a classy swimsuit.

About the Ads

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Outside your orifice
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Northerner
Cutoffs are what people wore in the 80's when they wore holes in their jeans and figured they could use a new pair of jean shorts. Can also double as a classy swimsuit.

You bastard, you stole my line!! :mad:

oasis786

Hated by mice everywhere
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
UCSF is 30 MCAT, 3.5 gpa to get a secondary. Take this with a grain of salt of course, but it comes from a reliable source, so it is [at least] how they did things two years ago. I'm sure applicants with <30,3.5 get secondaries all the time for other reasons though, but it might give you an idea of where cutoffs can be...

leavesam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
haha thanks. also, thanks for providing distractions from my studying for a midterm.

oasis786

Hated by mice everywhere
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
midterm shmidterm.

Why study when you can busy yourself wondering about the complexities and absurdities of the med school admissions process? :p

leavesam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
I've been doing that (along with others) the past 8 months.

P.S. Hey I saw your location; thought that was cool since I'm in Davis, CA. :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.