What are the differences in residencies' ease and options between SABA and US school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJCU05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know in details the differences in residencies' options, ease to get, and availability between SABA graduates, US MD graduates, and US DO graduates.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

NJCU05 said:
I would like to know in details the differences in residencies' options, ease to get, and availability between SABA graduates, US MD graduates, and US DO graduates.

Thanks in advance

Saba Residencies: mostly IM, FM, OB/GYN http://www.saba.edu/residency_match.php

US Med/DO: Any Residency your heart desires (and Step 1/2 score allows) .

Thanks for your reply. However I would like to clarify more.
1. It is well known that teaching hospitals are provided less Medicare reimbursement for FMG's residency compared to US medical school graduate. So, do you really think that SABA's graduates would have the same ease in getting residency in any type of speciality as US MDs and DOs?
2. Do SABA's graduates have better chance that US DOs in residencies' options and ease to obtain?

Members don't see this ad :)
NJCU05 said:
Thanks for your reply. However I would like to clarify more.
1. It is well known that teaching hospitals are provided less Medicare reimbursement for FMG's residency compared to US medical school graduate. So, do you really think that SABA's graduates would have the same ease in getting residency in any type of speciality as US MDs and DOs?
2. Do SABA's graduates have better chance that US DOs in residencies' options and ease to obtain?

1). Saba grads will get Mostly FM, IM and OB/GYN and they tend to pay less than other specialties. You sign your own contract so if you have good scores and LOR's then you decide what salary you receive. Many FMGs sign outside of the match and usually get paid less because of that.

2). US DO have more choice than all MD's b/c the DO's have access to MD & DO residencies.

McGillGrad said:
1). Saba grads will get Mostly FM, IM and OB/GYN and they tend to pay less than other specialties. You sign your own contract so if you have good scores and LOR's then you decide what salary you receive. Many FMGs sign outside of the match and usually get paid less because of that.

2). US DO have more choice than all MD's b/c the DO's have access to MD & DO residencies.

That's right, but don't forget that a DO is not recognized outside of the US. So if you want to practice overseas an MD is most probably going to be needed.