What are the math skills of a Vet Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyssamae

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a music education major at a liberal arts college, but I am seriously considering going into the veterinary field as a vet tech. I've always wanted to be a vet, but I didn't think I'd be able to do it if there was a great deal of math involved.

So, my question is: Is there a lot of math involved in the field of a vet tech? I've read that there is basic math involved, but what would you call "basic"? For example, what math courses would be taken in math? Also, would there be any chemistry or sciences that involve math?

If you have not gathered it by now, I am not very good at math. I've had trouble with it all through high school, but even as a music education major, I've got to use math, which is why I'm having such trouble now.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most vet schools require a year of calculus and a semester of statistics. But they also require general chemistry and some require biochemistry. So far working as a tech I haven't had to do any higher math--just lots of conversions and dosage calcluations. IE you have a dog that weighs 20 lbs and the dose of drug x is 3mg/kg and comes in a bottle that is 5mg/ml how much of drug x do you draw up in ml to give the dog--this is using random numbers. I don't know what math courses are required to become a licensed vet tech.

Hope that helps!

Math can be essential in figuring out dosages, anesthesia flow rates, etc. So basically you need to know all your conversion factors (lb to kg, mg to g, mL to L to fluid oz, etc). Not much "higher math" i.e. calculus, but you need to have all your basic math skills down pat.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's math, but it's basically the same basic thing over and over. So if you get the method down pat, I think you'd be fine. As for required classes, I have no clue. It shouldn't be anything like physics or calculus for vet tech school, so you probably don't have too much to worry about.

Alright, that's what I figured the math would involve. I know I've had a bit of trouble with that in high school, but I guess that's because I didn't work hard enough on it and I didn't think I'd need it. That sounds very do-able. I'm just very, very terrible at math, and I'd need a calculator to figure everything out. As long as I knew that, I think I'd be okay.

Thank you for your help!!

Heres some additional (more detailed) info you might find helpful. For whatever program your interested in, go to the course description and it will tell you what objectives will be required for the course. Heres the info from my program. Student here must take a placement test to take this course, if they dont pass they also have to take a developemental (refresher) math course. Dont forget, unless your doing an online program, most schools have tutoring centers to help you out. I found mine indispensable(esp with chemistry) I would say during my career, Ive used all of these except maybe drawing graphs ?? Cant figure why thats in there...Interpreting graphs.. Definately!

A. Fractions, Decimals and Percents
1. Perform arithmetic operations.
2. Convert from one form to another.
3. Incorporate precision and accuracy.
4. Solve exercises involving percent.
5. Only use a calculator to confirm computations.* (stress correct entry of multiple operations.)

B. Scientific Notation

C. Ratio, Proportion, Variation
1. Use dimensional analysis when computing with units.

D. Logarithms
1. Find the log of a number using a scientific calculator and a log table.

2. Use the formula pH = - log[H+] to find the pH given [H+].

E. Simple Equations
1. Solving equations in one variable.
2. Evaluate formulas, given values for all but one of the variables.

F. Graph equations with two variables.

G. Create and interpret charts and tables.

H. Systems of Measurement
1. English
2. Metric
3. Apothecary
4. Household
5. Perform conversions within and between these systems.

I. Prepare dosages and solutions.
1. Abbreviations and symbols
2. Liquid and tablet dosage computations
3. I.V. rates of flow
4. Reconstitutions and mixing from stock solutions
5. Calculating dosages based on weight/volume ratios

* Students should also be informed that when they take their licensing exams, they might not be able to use a calculator. They should be [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]able ..to do all calculations by paper and pencil methods when required.

Last edited:
Have you had any experiences volunteering, working in a vet clinic yet? Just like for vet school, you should/ will possibly need to shadow a vet tech before you make a decision or get accepted into a program. I hate to see people without experience get into a tech program. Some schools dont require any shadowing experience before admission and there is ALOT of attrition.
Yes, being a tech can be fun and rewarding but I dont think people realize how much work and stress it can bring into your life. If its not something your really committed too, you could end up with a whole lotta debt and buyers remorse.

Sorry, not trying to be negative, just being honest. I love being a tech, so much I cant get enough out of it (if that makes sense..ie I cant learn enough or do enough, hence my attempt at VS) But not everyone does. According to the last (and past) VVMA survey(s)the average life of a tech is only 8 years. Most leave bc of pay or schedule reasons. Lack of recognition and utilization is a big problem too, albeit thats getting a tad better depending on your state.

If youve done all that and your still smitten, Then I say go for IT!

I am currently a music education major at a liberal arts college, but I am seriously considering going into the veterinary field as a vet tech. I've always wanted to be a vet, but I didn't think I'd be able to do it if there was a great deal of math involved.

So, my question is: Is there a lot of math involved in the field of a vet tech? I've read that there is basic math involved, but what would you call "basic"? For example, what math courses would be taken in math? Also, would there be any chemistry or sciences that involve math?

If you have not gathered it by now, I am not very good at math. I've had trouble with it all through high school, but even as a music education major, I've got to use math, which is why I'm having such trouble now.

Thank you!!

I've had lots of experience with animals... just not very much with vets. I did job shadow a vet in my senior year of high school, but that was just for school in a small vet's office rather than a large clinic. It gave me a slight taste, although not much. The only other experience I've had with animals is the experience with my own animals (I've got 9 cats, 2 dogs, 5 rabbits, 1 crab, and 5 fish...) and the summer that I've spent at the humane society doing a good bit of volunteer work like cleaning litterboxes, walking/bathing dogs, fun stuff like that. But other than that, I haven't had much experience with vets...

Yeah, that's what I've been worrying about, whether I can actually handle the stress of it. I mean, I love animals with a passion, and I've always thought about starting some sort of rescue, specifically for feral cats and pets that could not get adopted at shelters. Since the past three years, I've been questioning why I wanted to do music, but I don't know.

I guess all I'll have to do is ask more questions at the vets next week and perhaps get some more shadowing in...

Come on, dude. That was pretty funny.

Good luck in your future practice if you treat all the techs like they're *****s... I'm pretty sure that help will be scarce when you need it.

You can tell a lot about a person based on how the people who work for/with that person relate to him/her. One of the vets in my area has a great rapport with his techs, and in return, they work hard and represent his practice very well. I think it's very important to respect the people you work with, and know that even if they don't get as in-depth an education as you have, they still have a high degree of technical skill and experience-based knowledge that no vet school can teach. Think how the human medical system falls apart without physician's assistants and nurses. But back to the topic at hand.

I'd agree with the others here who are suggesting you shadow before you decide if this is for you--many techs work long, hard hours for measly pay, so it's something you want to do because you love doing it. Shadow at a variety of places and ask lots of questions; get a good idea of what a typical day is like, and then ask yourself if you can see yourself doing that full-time for years on end. Also, it might be prudent to check out the job market for techs, especially if you have a particular place you want to be.

Good luck!

Amen! We have a tech at the teaching hospital that I lovingly call "the fastest stick in the West." Without her (and a couple other top-notch techs) the fourth year students would be a bumbling, sad bunch - clotted EDTA tubes, bothering the doctors about the ordering system, and getting things confused overall. The techs do a lot to help the fourth year students figure things out, get used to the pace, and not make fools of themselves in front of the doctors. They're much better off for it, trust me. Techs are invaluable. So, you know... can't agree with the count to 10 thing. Sorry. *shrug*

Good luck in your future practice if you treat all the techs like they're *****s... I'm pretty sure that help will be scarce when you need it.

lol i knew somehow when i wrote that some one will respond negatively to it...but in fact i wanted to highlight the fact despite all the high requirements for vet/vet tech there is really very little use of it.

i had to score well in physics and maths...the 2 most stupid n irrelevant subject to vet medicine in order to secure a place at uni for vet, fast forward 2 years into vet i am still waiting to see if there is any real world application for all that intense cramming i did for physics and maths back in high school

High school math isn't exactly the most involved, but one definitely needs to at least have a solid foundation in algebra.

Figuring out dosages, dilutions and compounding is all algebra. Haven't found a need for much of anything beyond that though.

Well, the not using physics/calculus thing is true enough. You should be clear about what you're saying! I got my feathers ruffles for nuttin'.

Ever watch "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"?

I can tell an ICU or anesthesia tech I need an MLK CRI for a 40 lb dog for 12 hours and in less than 30 seconds they can tell me how many ml of each 3 drugs I need and what rate to set the syringe pump.

Then they will show the student how to do it.