What are the most popular residencies for FMG's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Floyd77803

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most FMG's obtain IM residencies but what are some other common ones? I've heard that as many as 50% of current anest. residents are FMG's, any truth to this?

Members don't see this ad.

fmgs in general obtain residency positions that american grads do not want. Therefore currently primary care is not popular and you will see many more fmgs matching into fp, im etc. fmgs are not worse physicians in general but if I were to go to India and apply for residency I would expect to have some discrimination against me.

Why would american grads not like anesthesiology? Doesnt that specialty pay well, have a nonmalignant residency, and good working hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
the outlook for the field has become very uncertain in the past few years. this is due mainly to the growing number of CRNA's

the job market was awful several years ago. The thought of working under surgeons makes many people cringe. The uncertain future of the role of crnas. spending all day in the or. some of the reasons

Anesthesia was unpopular 3-4 years ago because of reduced reimbursement and difficulty finding jobs. (There was 1 year when no anesthesia graduate could find a job in California.) So less AMGs were interested in it and many slots were filled by FMGs. Many programs have cut residency slots in the last few years as a result.

Now the pendulum has swung back. The demand is back up. The supply is down. The job market is hot. The pay is REALLY good. Anesthesia has become very, very popular in the last 2 years.

The reason you are still seeing many FMGs in anesthesia program is because they were the smart ones who anticipated the turnaround 3-4 years ago. From this year on, the number of FMGs in anesthesia programs will likely be down substantially from 3-4 years ago.

I concur...Fp falling in first, with IM a sure second. Don't think 50% in Anesthesiology, that's a bit on the high side.While hours and pay may be great, the mal. Ins levels the playing field,one of the hightest, right up there with ob/gyn. This may surprise some of you but some FMG's are right up there in the scoring and qualiications and compete rather well with AMG's, and yes there are hints of discrimination in the equation. Happy to know there are some third-world countries who would and do accept any medical staff, including Doctors with profound gratitude,void of any discrimination. While I admit not all.

Hi,

FMGs in anesthesia residencies is at around 50%, BUT if u look at the no. of CA-1 now they are at I think around 37% or so.

SO, this shows that the dominance of FMGs in this field was during the slow and unpopular nature of the field 4-5 yrs. back. And now that it is again hot, the no. of FMGs seem to be dec. dramatically again.

Like many have already said, the fields FMGs have a reasonable chance at are the fields AMGs do not want. Unfortunately, this is true.

Good luck.

Using this formula, IMGs have a reasonable chance at the fields AMGs do not want, and given that the surgery programs have experienced a drop in numbers in the last few years, are we going to see a lot of IMGs in the surgery departments in the next few years? Is that a yes?

As far as more IMGs able to get into surgery ... that's also my impression. But the actual numbers may not support this impression.

Non-AMG matching to Gen Surgery (from NRMP data)
1999 2000 2001
13.0% 13.1% 14.7%

I have also seen many IMG's in psychiatry, neurology, and pathology. :wink: