What are the negatives of applying after senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wlee43

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I want to take the extra year to beef up my app and get more time to study for mcat

Members don't see this ad.

This can be a really good idea. Things to consider beforehand:

-what will you do for $$ during that year?
-if you don't do enough to actually strengthen your app during this time, you'll look like a turd.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I want to take the extra year to beef up my app and get more time to study for mcat

If you are using your extra year to study for the mcat, odds are you need to find stuff to do for two years post-graduation.

If you are using your extra year to study for the mcat, odds are you need to find stuff to do for two years post-graduation.

um no I just want to get a high score (35+) and don't want it to interfere with my school work.

I graduated not-so-long ago and only recently decided to start pursuing medicine. A big sorry of mine has been getting a letter from my undergrad's premed committee. I've got letters from professors who know me well -- but I've had minimal contact with faculty on the pre-health committee and I haven't the faintest what they could possibly say about me in a letter, especially two years down the road.

I'm still not entirely sure if you really need the committee letter if you're not applying straight out of undergrad.

um no I just want to get a high score (35+) and don't want it to interfere with my school work.

He's just saying that you can't start medical school until at least one year after you take the MCAT, so factor that into your planning.

Ya you would need to take the MCAT sometime this summer to apply and go to med school in 2012. If you want to take a year off to study for the MCAT, you will be going to med school in 2013. I also agree with everyone else that taking this year off will help your application (and will not have any negative aspects) if you do something worthwhile, such as working and/or volunteering.

I graduated not-so-long ago and only recently decided to start pursuing medicine. A big sorry of mine has been getting a letter from my undergrad's premed committee. I've got letters from professors who know me well -- but I've had minimal contact with faculty on the pre-health committee and I haven't the faintest what they could possibly say about me in a letter, especially two years down the road.

I'm still not entirely sure if you really need the committee letter if you're not applying straight out of undergrad.

And how does that relate to this thread :confused:

You may want to meet with them so they can get to know you before they write the letter.

And how does that relate to this thread :confused:

Its a negative to applying after senior year, isn't it? Professors go through a lot of students -- they might remember you as bright and insightful while you're in their class, but what sorts of meaningful things can they put in a letter when you approach them years later?

He's just saying that you can't start medical school until at least one year after you take the MCAT, so factor that into your planning.

So if I take it before I apply(in June after senior year ends) I'm fine right?

Its a negative to applying after senior year, isn't it? Professors go through a lot of students -- they might remember you as bright and insightful while you're in their class, but what sorts of meaningful things can they put in a letter when you approach them years later?

I was going to ask professors for letters my junior and spring of senior year rather than approach them at the end of the senior year

You can get your letters before you graduate and store them in Interfolio.

Do you think it's overkill to devote over a year to study for the mcat

Ya, any more than 3 months would be too much in my opinion. If you are very weak in verbal, it may be a good idea to take more than 3 months and read many complex articles and books while optimizing your strategies.

Do you think it's overkill to devote over a year to study for the mcat

If the year is devoted to nothing but MCAT, this is overkill. To study at a slow-to-moderate pace over the course of a year, while you are taking other classes, is not overkill. But it may not be effective. Depends on how you retain information.

there are no negatives to applying after senior year