Romeo1

7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

I am an IMG with>200 on each steps(step 1 second attempt), had 5 interviews in Psych but went unmatched. Now I am searching for some of the options before starting the next ERAS season(and ya scramble sucks big time specially if u need visa.....). I am pretty sure about where I wanna go and that means I am again going to apply in psych.

Now here is the problem..
As psychiatry seems to be getting tougher and hardly around 1091 spots all over US is it going to be a wise decision? Considering that if I find some places may be research in psych how my CV shapes up(I already have more than 1 year of externship)?

secondly, I am also looking for some research opportunity in Psych(specially if somebody is ready to sponsor visa....enough of volunteering I suppose:laugh: and I also need to take care of my financial situation........so pls PM me). So if anyone has suggestions specially senior members. Thanks in advance.

Jul 20, 2009
Status
Hi,

I am an IMG with>200 on each steps(step 1 second attempt), had 5 interviews in Psych but went unmatched. Now I am searching for some of the options before starting the next ERAS season(and ya scramble sucks big time specially if u need visa.....). I am pretty sure about where I wanna go and that means I am again going to apply in psych.

Now here is the problem..
As psychiatry seems to be getting tougher and hardly around 1091 spots all over US is it going to be a wise decision? Considering that if I find some places may be research in psych how my CV shapes up(I already have more than 1 year of externship)?

secondly, I am also looking for some research opportunity in Psych(specially if somebody is ready to sponsor visa....enough of volunteering I suppose:laugh: and I also need to take care of my financial situation........so pls PM me). So if anyone has suggestions specially senior members. Thanks in advance.
Im assuming based on the visa issue you aren't a us citizen img?

If so, going to be tough.....

you have poor board scores(one failure by definition makes for poor scores overall).

you did get 5 interviews though, which is a low number but people have obviously matched with less...how many programs did you apply to total?

Romeo1

7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
Status
Medical Student
You are right Psychotrope I am IMG needing visa and I applied total in 74 Psychiatry programs(some around 30 programs in FM as a back up). I knew going is not that easy specially given my board scores and my visa status. So any further suggestions beside giving step 3? Specially finding the position in research in the same field whish is visa eligible??

whopper

Former jolly good fellow
15+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
OK, here's my advice on touching up your application.

1-get a visa. In fact, if you can, become an American citizen. Several programs I know won't even consider a candidate without a visa. The citizenship thing is not so much as a big deal as far as I'm aware, but if you can, do it, because it could help.

2-you can't change your past board performance. IMHO one failure, I'd be willing to overlook. Not all programs are of the same opinion. Your scores are actually decent, that's another reason why I'd be willing to overlook the first failure.

This IMHO could make it difficult in getting into a top tier program, but shouldn't significantly reduce your odds of getting into a 2nd tier program.

3-You're a non-U.S. citizen. Do you have a strong accent? That could hurt. Psychiatry is a field where the doctor must be able to communicate very well as well has have a good understanding of the person's specific culture. Your status as being from another country could actually help you out if you are seeking to go to a program with a high population of people from your specific culture. E.g. several programs I knew of in NJ & NY wanted Spanish speaking residents.

Romeo1

7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
Status
Medical Student
thanks whopper for the advice. Well becoming a citizen is not easy as you might know!! I am not sure what you mean by saying strong accent? does that mean thick accent?? well I am not sure about that either but being from south east Asia (I am not sure what kind of accent we call that but ya I can speak fluently for sure). And I am not good at Spanish language either.

About getting the visa....well that is my main question in the interim. Is anyone aware of any research/ program in Psychiatry that sponsor visa to IMGs before getting into the residency?
you can PM if that's the case. Thanks everyone..

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
thanks whopper for the advice. Well becoming a citizen is not easy as you might know!! I am not sure what you mean by saying strong accent? does that mean thick accent?? well I am not sure about that either but being from south east Asia (I am not sure what kind of accent we call that but ya I can speak fluently for sure). And I am not good at Spanish language either.

About getting the visa....well that is my main question in the interim. Is anyone aware of any research/ program in Psychiatry that sponsor visa to IMGs before getting into the residency?
you can PM if that's the case. Thanks everyone..
You may be able to find a spot in a post-doc research program that takes MDs. Those are relatively rare, though.

As for being southeast asian, you might try to play that as an asset as Whopper mentioned. There are a number of communities with a large southeast asian population that really hurt for a lack of psychiatrists with a strong cultural/language background in that area. Denver for instance has a large vietnamese population and there is a complete lack of vietnamese shrinks to be found here.

I have no idea if you're vietnamese or not but you get the idea.