What are the Statistics behind the Waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejpcuse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So unfortunately I was put on the waitlist at LECOM - Erie.
Does anyone know how many people they put on the waitlist and how many they take off?

When you would be notified that you will not be getting in or will be getting
in?

How do they choose who gets taken off the waitlist?

I don't really like this waiting game :(

Members don't see this ad.

I have another question to add to that...

I know that for AMCAS they have the date of May 15th for people to choose one slot and so after that a whole bunch of slots open up.

What about for DO schools? :D

do-ca said:
I have another question to add to that...

I know that for AMCAS they have the date of May 15th for people to choose one slot and so after that a whole bunch of slots open up.

What about for DO schools? :D

First of all the waitlist just closes after I believe orientation is over or maybe a day or so into when school starts? This was the case last year if you search the topic I think.

As for Do-ca's question, spots open up for DO schools when MD people drop their seats. This is usually the case because they have DO schools as their backup plans...

Members don't see this ad :)
ejpcuse said:
So unfortunately I was put on the waitlist at LECOM - Erie.
Does anyone know how many people they put on the waitlist and how many they take off?

When you would be notified that you will not be getting in or will be getting
in?

How do they choose who gets taken off the waitlist?

I don't really like this waiting game :(

A large percentage of our class is from the waitlist........which thinking about it now....explains alot.......

OSUdoc08 said:
A large percentage of our class is from the waitlist........which thinking about it now....explains alot.......

Really, in another thread they said that only 10-30 ppl were chosen from the waitlist. Is most of the class really from the waitlist? Where did you find this information? :oops: Thanks!

Jezzielin said:
Really, in another thread they said that only 10-30 ppl were chosen from the waitlist. Is most of the class really from the waitlist? Where did you find this information? :oops: Thanks!

Ah, you don't know what class I'm in! It varies from year-to-year.

I got this information from my classmates, who were waitlisted.

OSUdoc08 said:
Ah, you don't know what class I'm in! It varies from year-to-year.

I got this information from my classmates, who were waitlisted.

Oh, sorry I misread! :rolleyes:

ejpcuse said:

I was on one school's waitlist and I can say if that school is any indication, this is sacred information that won't be released. So unless you go in super commando style with cool black ninja suits and computer hacking skills, I think you'll have to stay on pins and needles.

Redneck said:
I was on one school's waitlist and I can say if that school is any indication, this is sacred information that won't be released. So unless you go in super commando style with cool black ninja suits and computer hacking skills, I think you'll have to stay on pins and needles.

Thanks! I think your right... I called them and they were super secretive. RARRR, why can't they make our lives a little easier? They probably laugh everytime nervous waitlister calls!

ejpcuse said:
Thanks! I think your right... I called them and they were super secretive. RARRR, why can't they make our lives a little easier? They probably laugh everytime nervous waitlister calls!

OH YEA :laugh: ! I have called too many times and am debating calling again. I know they won't tell me anything but it just makes me feel better to try. :rolleyes: Anyone feel like calling with me today and try to get anything out of 'em? :confused:

What school are you waitlisted at?

Anyone waitlisted at COMP?

do-ca said:

LECOM-Erie +pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
ejpcuse said:
LECOM - Erie

Hey sorry! New post!

I just called LECOM and found out that the waitlist is suppose to move anytime from now until June. Not much info but I tried! :)

I also wanted to know if I turned in a 2007 app, if the admissions committee would see it and she said no, in case anyone was thinking of doing that! I talked to Melissa, fyi!

If anyone feels like callin' em up today and asking again how they take people off the waitlist that'd be great! I am curious what they say this time!

:luck: :love:

I'm wailtisted at LECOM-Erie, CCOM, and TUCOM-CA. Hopefully I'll get in somewhere, but I think I'll be submitting my 2007 AACOMAS June 1st just to be safe. Last year, I was waitlisted at LECOM-Erie and I heard that some people received phone calls asking if they were still interested in taking a seat for the fall and then getting called a couple days later with an acceptance. This shows that LECOM will rank proabably the top 10 or so, then will re-rank when/if necessary. Go waitlisters! ;)

jschro21 said:
I'm wailtisted at LECOM-Erie, CCOM, and TUCOM-CA. Hopefully I'll get in somewhere, but I think I'll be submitting my 2007 AACOMAS June 1st just to be safe. Last year, I was waitlisted at LECOM-Erie and I heard that some people received phone calls asking if they were still interested in taking a seat for the fall and then getting called a couple days later with an acceptance. This shows that LECOM will rank proabably the top 10 or so, then will re-rank when/if necessary. Go waitlisters! ;)

Jshro21,
Do you mind me asking what your stats are? And what you did to improve your application from last year? Good luck, your on three waitlists that seems promising!

ejpcuse said:
Jshro21,
Do you mind me asking what your stats are? And what you did to improve your application from last year? Good luck, your on three waitlists that seems promising!

My stats aren't stellar by any means. 3.7 GPA, 21P MCAT, plethora of leadership, clubs, etc, and about a million hours of clinical exposure. My MCAT is obviously holding me back, and I'm just hoping to get in somewhere so I don't have tp retake it again! If so, oh well. We just have to keep our heads up! :)

jschro21 said:
My stats aren't stellar by any means. 3.7 GPA, 21P MCAT, plethora of leadership, clubs, etc, and about a million hours of clinical exposure. My MCAT is obviously holding me back, and I'm just hoping to get in somewhere so I don't have tp retake it again! If so, oh well. We just have to keep our heads up! :)

Hey Jschro21, have you heard back at all yet? :oops:

ironmaidenrules said:
Anyone have any news on KCUMB

Have you called and talked to them? I'm pretty sure they interview until their seats are full and then sometime (not sure if its May or June) they relook at all of their waitlisters and rank them. They were always seemed very willing to help applicants out, so I would call them and ask.

I'm high waitlisted at TUCOM-CA (first tier, although I'm not sure this means anything at this point).
Good luck to all!

Yeah so I'm waitlisted at CCOM and of course its my top choice. I've sent a letter of intent, but that's really all I can do because I'm done with school and working. I called them and they said that there are about 100 people on the waitlist and that its active up until the first week of school. They also said (rather snobbishly in my opinion) that IF the waitlist moves, it doesn't until July usually. The list is unranked, meaning all apps are viewed competitively when it comes time to pull from the list. Anyone know how many people usually get pulled from the waitlist for CCOM? Any other tips? Thanks!

Khia18 said:
Yeah so I'm waitlisted at CCOM and of course its my top choice. I've sent a letter of intent, but that's really all I can do because I'm done with school and working. I called them and they said that there are about 100 people on the waitlist and that its active up until the first week of school. They also said (rather snobbishly in my opinion) that IF the waitlist moves, it doesn't until July usually. The list is unranked, meaning all apps are viewed competitively when it comes time to pull from the list. Anyone know how many people usually get pulled from the waitlist for CCOM? Any other tips? Thanks!

In picking competitive people, did CCOM specify how they would do it? Like by only GPA/MCAT or by ECs/LORs/etc...

Good luck though :luck: !

OSUdoc08 said:

That is why you go to the sports bar so much...geez!

Bumpity bump! :)

oh man... i can just see myself in your shoes next year this time lol. my stats arent stellar either... :) oh well... theres always next year :-D

I just have to ask. So I have heard that there is alot of movement in July. Really, why is this?

All of a sudden from June 30th to July 1st movement starts?

I don't understand... :confused: I am thinking since there hasn't been movement yet and all the seats are 'taken' as of now, maybe the seats that have been given up have not yet been filled with those people from the waitlist?

That's my hope at least, that would be very nice. Then again, there is the one that has already been called off the waitlist. But that is all I know of.

No clue.

Sorry, bump. :p

Jezzielin said:
Sorry, bump. :p

If my phone does not ring and I do not see a phone # with an 814 area code on the Caller ID soon, I am gonna scream!!!!!

I think this waitlist is a ruse for the faculty to pull our legs, then crush our hopes and make us think we are not med school material.

Corrupt200 said:
If my phone does not ring and I do not see a phone # with an 814 area code on the Caller ID soon, I am gonna scream!!!!!

I think this waitlist is a ruse for the faculty to pull our legs, then crush our hopes and make us think we are not med school material.

Yea, not gonna lie but I'm starting to feel sick. I think it is getting pretty late to get off the list but hopefully I am wrong. Anyone feel like calling Cinda today? :rolleyes: Just curious what she thinks, whether or not there will be movement at all for this class.

ironmaidenrules said:
Anyone have any news on KCUMB

~Ironmaiden~

One of our classmates (KCUMB c/o 2010) just got pulled off a waitlist and I think he/she is going to take it. I hope his/her spot goes to you!!!! Good luck!

do-ca said:

i am =( are you? have u heard of anything?

For those of you waitlisters out there that are losing hope and feel that its getting too late, stay positive. I know plenty of people who have got in at the midnight hour (2 weeks before orientation). A friend of mine was accepted the week of orientation a few years back. For most schools they will accept students up until the first day of school. Personally I feel that July and August are the months with the greatest movement on the list.

Some years the list moves quicker than others and being persistant can pay off. Get to know the admissions director it can pay off. Call the admissions director weekly to get a feel of where you are on the list and if its moving or not. Last year I was waitlisted at AZCOM and I made a point to get to know the director of admissions. Last year after I didn't get in I asked him what I could do to improve my chances. Alot of his information was common sense (retake the MCAT, volunteer, etc) but other advice was helpful. He told me that many med students struggle with anatomy so I got a job as a TA for an anatomy professor during my year off. I also took Kaplan and retook the MCAT. So this year during my interview when they asked me how I improved my app I told them everything I had done. I was waitlisted for a month and then I got the call.

I realize that many of you are busy and may not have time for such measures however, if you want it bad enough you will find a way in. Good luck all of you and please don't lose hope.