What are transitional year and preliminary programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashar008

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am about to being my 3rd year of medical school as an AUC student at Kern Medical center. I received a step score of 252. I am researching and looking up how to prepare and do well in my clinical years. I came upon transitional programs and preliminary programs. I researched up on what they are but haven't gotten a clear answer yet. What are these programs? Are they generally looked up to or down upon? From what I think I've learned is that these programs are kind of like the "post baccs" of residency programs. I don't mean to boast about my step score but rather posted it to gauge what my chances are at matching at these programs. I hope to get into a categorical position and I know coming as a US IMG I am at a disadvantage. So in summary I hope to get into these kinds of programs to get into a categorical position. Am I going the right way with my planning? Any advice? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just an M1 but I'll give it a shot.

Transitional and preliminary programs are similar in that they are essentially only an internship / the first year of residency, and not a full residency in and of themselves. These programs are usually pursued by people who have matched into certain residencies that require them, such as DR, anesthesia, derm, and ophthalmology (I think?). You basically finish your prelim/TY, then start the residency that you matched into and intend to pursue.

Transitional years programs with a broad focus, where you rotate through a number of different areas. Prelim years are either in Internal Medicine or Surgery.

The ideal thing to do is to match into your desired specialty and your TY/Prelim during the same match. However, some people don't match in their desired specialty or aren't competitive enough for it, and either SOAP or match into a Prelim without having anything set up for after the Prelim.

In this sense, prelims are not very competitive. People who match into a prelim alone (without a residency lined up to follow it) are generally there because they didn't match. A prelim is a backup for these people, because they hope that they can apply for the match again directly into the advanced program after they finish. Sometimes an advanced spot opens up in the desired field and it can be finagled to move directly into that spot.

Basically, prelims are either a necessary part of training, or a backup for people who didn't match.

I'm not too sure about TY's being used as a back up because I think they are generally more competitive than prelims. Same thing applies though - these aren't necessarily full residency programs.

As for your planning, you definitely want to aim for a Categorical spot. If you want to go into DR, you'll have to do a prelim, but finding a prelim isn't the hard part. Having the advanced spot lined up is. If you don't get one in your desired field, a prelim is something productive to do to kill the time until you can apply for the match again.

Reactions: 1 users