What Are Ways To Sell Yourself In an Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2Xtrouble2X

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really get the concept of selling yourself for a med school interview. Can someone please list some ideas on selling thyself haha?? it would clear up a lot of questions I have about interviews...it's just that it is being mentioned a lot on this board nowadays...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

*Resists temptation to use below-table humor*

Make plenty of eye contact. And smile. And for goodness sake, don't use "like" as a comma when speaking.

2Xtrouble2X said:
I don't really get the concept of selling yourself for a med school interview. Can someone please list some ideas on selling thyself haha?? it would clear up a lot of questions I have about interviews...it's just that it is being mentioned a lot on this board nowadays...thanks!

There was another post about this a bit ago. Selling yourself, I mean. Let me see here... Ah! here we are:

jebus said:
are you sexy? Being sexy helps. MCATs are but a piece of the puzzle. Sexy is a bigger piece.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wear a non striped colored dress shirt (I use a light blue or burgandy shirt depending on my mood,) it makes you stand out (which suggests self confidence) without being outragous (like a powder blue suit, which makes you appear arrogent and/or not respectful of the school.)

Think like a used car salesman:
1. make eye contact, and
2. seductively ask them to take you for a test drive

i whip out my peepee and hit the interviewer in the head with it.

ismelllikepoop said:
i whip out my peepee and hit the interviewer in the head with it.

This is why.

:) is this thread turning into a playground ?? haha im actually being serious...I know that a big part of an interview is if someone is social?? I'm not really good at starting or fluff (with the extra spice for good taste) in conversations -- im a man of few words. Any suggestions ? or is this just something i've inhibited?

2Xtrouble2X said:
:) is this thread turning into a playground ?? haha im actually being serious...I know that a big part of an interview is if someone is social?? I'm not really good at starting or compounding in conversations -- im a man of few words. Any suggestions ? or is this just something i've inhibited in my life?

mmm neither am i, i've haven't had those marvelous interviews where we talk about anything from politics to gardening. i think the most challenging kind of interview is the kind where i have to direct the topic.

When they asked me to tell them why I should be accepted and/or asked for parting words, I highlighted my strong suits (i.e nontrad, emotional maturity, sacrificed job for uncertainty of med school, my unique major) and tried to make amends for any deficiencies (my lower than avg GPA was due to abnormal load a couple of semesters but it showed I could work hard, had ambitions).

i'd just say be confident and make good eye-contact. dont act aloof or cocky, but i'd say making good eye contact and being relaxed just helps everything else. If you have problems with actual eye contact, do what george from seinfeld says, look right between their eyebrows.

i've heard that, when selling yourself, it's best to negotiate all the prices and exactly what you are and aren't willing to do up front...avoids any unpleasant confrontation when it's over.

Members don't see this ad :)
jbrice1639 said:
i've heard that, when selling yourself, it's best to negotiate all the prices and exactly what you are and aren't willing to do up front...avoids any unpleasant confrontation when it's over.

I will not take any exams. I’ll have one of your full ride scholarships. I’ll also need a BMW fully loaded. I’ll be staying at the Hiltons for the duration of my studies and forward you the bill. I’ll be eating at no place other than four star restaurants. And, lastly, I’ll be getting my MD in two years.

BOOBIES!!!

Wait, you wanted something serious?
I'd recommend that if you don't have alot of interview experience, try practicing with friends/family members (so at least you can work out some of your jitters... fidgeting while talking, saying "um" or "like").

If you have enough time between now and then, joining a group like Toastmasters might help. Or at least pick up some books from the library that can give you some solid pointers on interviewing (often found in the career section). I've heard that How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie is good for helping well, "win friends & influence people." I don't know - I have it, haven't read it yet.

lol...this thread killed me. i'm reading this in the library and it's seriously hurting not to laugh out loud and get kicked out.

but in real advice, the only true poison pill in an interview is to be arrogant. if you don't "sell yourself" you'll never get noticed, but coming across arrogant is the worst thing you could do, short of fedonking the interviewer (which someone already mentioned). So like a previous poster said, practice showing yourself off in front of an honest friend and make sure you aren't crossing into arrogant territory. Yeah, it's a delicate line, and we as interviewees never find out where we stand, exactly, even if we do get in. It depends a lot on your interviewer's personality, too. But err on the side of caution.

Do some magic tricks. Works every time. No one can resist.

don't do anything you wouldn't do on a date...

ok, i know this sounds a little superficial, but what kind of shoes should i get? i want to wear a navy, black, or gray suit (skirt), and i want shoes that will be cute, yet comfortable enough for walking around campuses. let me know what you wore or, even better, post links to suggestions at neimanmarcus.com or wherev.
i would ask abt suits too, but i don't want to be too much of a poser ;)

top said:
but in real advice, the only true poison pill in an interview is to be arrogant.

Actually, in my experience, the biggest poison pill is to be too passive. Too many interviews involve the interviewee answering questions in short responses, not asking questions of their own, not making any attempt to direct the interview to their strengths or things they ought to want to highlight, really not telling the interviewer anything other than what was asked. If the interviewer felt like it was like pulling teeth to find out stuff from you, it will be considered by him/her to be a bad interview. You should have a handful of things you want to emphasize, and topics you think make you an interesting candidate and find a way to subtly direct the conversation and work those things into the interview. Every question asked is an entree to highlight one of your skills or accomplishments, if you handle it right.
The best interviews are conversational, not an inquisition. Be relaxed, enthusiastic, and an active participant of the interview. Don't just sit back, answer the questions asked, and let the interviewer feel like they did all the questioning.

jbrice1639 said:

And before you do anything ask them if they are a cop -- it will help with an entrapment defense if you get busted for solicitation after the "interview" starts. :)

Law2Doc said:
And before you do anything ask them if they are a cop -- it will help with an entrapment defense if you get busted for solicitation after the "interview" starts. :)

I actually think I suggested to my Stanford interviewer that I would strip at the end of the interview. He asked me if this was my last interview, and when I said yes, he said "I guess it's about time to retire the suit then, eh?" I replied with "Yes, I was actually thinking of tearing it off on the way out." All I have to say is THANK GOD HE HAD A SENSE OF HUMOR and laughed.

whitney06 said:
ok, i know this sounds a little superficial, but what kind of shoes should i get? i want to wear a navy, black, or gray suit (skirt), and i want shoes that will be cute, yet comfortable enough for walking around campuses. let me know what you wore or, even better, post links to suggestions at neimanmarcus.com or wherev.
i would ask abt suits too, but i don't want to be too much of a poser ;)
Look for beautifeel shoes. They're AWESOME. A bit pricey, but worth every single penny. Cute, comfortable, able to walk in them for hours.
http://www.footwearetc.com/static_links/225-1.html

Just keep this in mind: What would Jesus do?

2Xtrouble2X said:

I sold myself for $37 as was accepted within a month.

Here's my SERIOUS advice!.....For starters, I would go on job interviews or have a group of random people interview you...don't do friends/family, you know them too well and won't be nervous. Secondly, selling yourself is knowing without a doubt that YOU are a great fit for that school (WITHOUT BEING ARROGANT!!) Be proud of what you've accomplished in your 4 years of college, know your EC's without having to even think about them and talk about them like they completely changed your life/views, and basically know your accomplishments. The interviews will most likely be very conversational and they will expect you to talk about things that aren't in front of them on the application (if open-file)....so know your biggest selling points! Also, knwo what each school focuses on....and make yourself fit into that category!! (I think that's MOST important...that way you look like a "great fit" for their school).

My biggest "selling point" I saved for the middle of the conversation so that I wouldn't look arrogant in the beginning. When I finally mentioned it, the interviewers were shocked that I hadn't talked about it (shocked in a good way)...then they were intrigued for more information.

Mainly, just be yourself.....you know yourself best and you feel that you are going to be a great physician otherwise you wouldn't be going into this profession, so just let your interviewer see everything that YOU see! ;)

First rule: be yourself. That is what I have heard over and over again, and I think it works. Not only will you have no problem with that role (I hope), but you won't have to worry about covering any "exaggerations" you may make if you try to be too false. I would also say that you should keep in mind that you don't know anything. This is why you want to go to school, so you can fix this. You might have opinions, which is fine, but you certianly don't have a first hand account of medical life, I don't care how much clinical experience you've had.
The interviewers (at least in my opinion) want to see that you can think about a situation, question, whatever and formulate a good answer. Show that you can do this (or wing it anyway) but don't be afraid to take a stance in the end (i.e. yes or no for doctor assisted suicide).
Oh, and as far as dress, conservative is a good way to go. White dress shirt, dark or grey suit, tie that's not too crazy (I enjoy blue personally). This part is probably not as important, but lets face it, medicine is an old profession and conservative dress is the norm.
One last thing: all the advice you get from people (including me, obviously) is crap. Take it all with a gigantic grain of salt and use common sense. But then that too is advice, so maybe you shouldn't listen to that either!

Prospero said:
First rule: be yourself. That is what I have heard over and over again, and I think it works.

While this is generally good advice, it sort of depends on who "yourself" is. I know plenty of folks who would want to be slightly enhanced, improved, more conservative, less abrasive, less offensive versions of themselves if they hope to gain admissions. :D

2Xtrouble2X said:
:) is this thread turning into a playground ?? haha im actually being serious...I know that a big part of an interview is if someone is social?? I'm not really good at starting or fluff (with the extra spice for good taste) in conversations -- im a man of few words. Any suggestions ? or is this just something i've inhibited?

You are going to be a doctor. Unless you end up in a "no patient contact" area of medicine (and there arent' many of these anymore, even the radiologists are doing interventions and talking with patients now), you are going to have to introduce yourself to a stranger and make small talk to put them at ease.

In a med school interview, the interviewer should do this but you should be comfortable enough to be able to answer a couple of questions that are meant to loosen you up. (Is this your first visit to St. Louis? How are things up in Chicago; have you had much snow this year? )

Some interviewers are going to jump right to "tell me about yourself" so you should think (but don't memorize a script) about how you might describe yourself in 3 minutes. Think "well rounded" so be sure to mention not only your college, your major and your research & clinical experinece that has led you to apply to medical school, but mention things that are seemingly unrelated that you do to help you unwind such as athletics, performing arts, fine arts or crafts, (but leave out the things that you do to unwind that you wouldn't tell your grandmother about :p ).

LizzyM said:
You are going to be a doctor. Unless you end up in a "no patient contact" area of medicine (and there arent' many of these anymore, even the radiologists are doing interventions and talking with patients now), you are going to have to introduce yourself to a stranger and make small talk to put them at ease.

In a med school interview, the interviewer should do this but you should be comfortable enough to be able to answer a couple of questions that are meant to loosen you up. (Is this your first visit to St. Louis? How are things up in Chicago; have you had much snow this year? )

Some interviewers are going to jump right to "tell me about yourself" so you should think (but don't memorize a script) about how you might describe yourself in 3 minutes. Think "well rounded" so be sure to mention not only your college, your major and your research & clinical experinece that has led you to apply to medical school, but mention things that are seemingly unrelated that you do to help you unwind such as athletics, performing arts, fine arts or crafts, (but leave out the things that you do to unwind that you wouldn't tell your grandmother about :p ).

I never really managed the tell me about yourself question.... I always managed stumbling and rambling through, but now I'm done so no point in worrying about it anymore.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread...Most of my doubts on "selling yourself" makes a lot more sense !!! I agree being yourself, humble, and loose helps in an interview...maybe now that everyone put emphasis on these values i'll remember them when im with an interviewer!! thanks again !!!

Can't stress enough the avoidance of arrogance. Premeds (especially on SDN) tend to attract compensating type-A personalities and it's death in any interview.

As for the conservative dress thing, I see the point, but I don't think you have to follow it so closely. Personally, if I see someone in dark navy or black slacks, a plain white dress shirt and a dark tie, I'm going to assume they're missionaries. I used to work at UCSF and it killed me seeing armies of 21 year old men trying to imagine what 60 year old men think conservative attire is.

say hey baby, lookin' for a good semester? then lift your trenchcoat to discretely reveal some transcripts. then wink twice.

The way to bridge the "be yourself" imperative with the "sell yourself" is simply to develop a good story about yourself. Why are you going to be a good doctor? Why are you an accomplished student? Why are you a potential asset? Answers to those questions can also be honest explorations of your personality and character, if you approach them in a positive way.

LizzyM said:
(but leave out the things that you do to unwind that you wouldn't tell your grandmother about :p ).

but former surgeon general jocelyn elders says it's okay! :thumbup:

i like the idea of charcoal suit, blue shirt, silver tie.

before i even got a chance to start hitting on my interviewer, she seriously told me she already has a bf.