What are you looking for in a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djack240

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my list (NOT in order of importance) based on what I have heard from advisors/residents:

1) resident clinic in a county hospital
2) VA hospital
3) private university hospital
4) children's hospital
5) faculty well represented in all sub specialties
6) no competition for patients with other programs in the area (or at least very little competition)

And obviously excellent clinical/surgical training, fellowship matches, location, happy residents etc. I know that programs will NOT have every single one of the factors I listed, but it's nice to have some criteria!

Residents or attendings, are there any other factors that you did not consider important when submitting your rank list, but which were ultimately revealed as important when you started your training?

Applicants, are there any other factors you consider important?

Members don't see this ad.

Not a resident, but I think this line is the most important: "clinical/surgical training, fellowship matches, location, happy residents etc", everything else is details. A lot depends too on if you want to go into private practice or fellowship. There are a lot of decent clinical programs with stellar fellowship match and a lot of excellent clinical programs with mediocre match.