What are you looking for in an EM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Un rxed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With an eye toward creating a preliminary rank list, I've been spending a lot of time crunching numbers (visits per year, admit rates, etc) and pondering intangibles ("feel" of the program, quality of training, etc.).

The process has made me curious what others in the same position are looking at. Is it acuity? Program reputation? Are you driven by geography, do you really like the program director, or are you just looking for a cool group of people to hang out with during your training? I know there are many different answers and moving parts to this question but thought it might be interesting to see what is being considered in making this decision.

Best of luck with applications and interviews to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

When I was a 4th year student, I did the same thing.

But the truth is (in my opinion), is none of that really matters. At the time I thought it did...but it doesn't. You will get good training wherever you go.

Just make sure its geographically ideal for you, and you mesh well with the people.

There was a great thread in the past describing just the things you are talking about. I'll try to search for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Found the thread and bumped it. Look at the thread "What are the most important things to ask". Written for those on the interview trail it gives some great suggestions to think about when looking at programs.

I want to go where there are fellow residents that i'd enjoy going and getting a beer with to decompress after a bad shift...

I believe it's true that every EM program offers good clinical training, so I'm not as concerned with number crunching the visits per year or admission rates. Instead, I'll be focusing more on the subjective feel of the programs, on the strength of the programs in my area of interest, and on things that would make my daily life easier, like being able to avoid a lot of long-distance commuting. And like Richspiders07 said, supportive fellow residents for when the going gets tough is huge. :thumbup:

Truthfully, you'll always see patients no matter where you go. You want to go somewhere where you can see as many patients as you need to get out of it what you can, but don't feel like you have to see patients to move the department as an intern. I think "running a zone" as a senior is a good skill. I think seeing 2+ patients per hour as an intern is poor planning on the part of the department.
Also, make sure where you go has a good teaching element. And by teaching, they explain the logic behind their arguments, and not simply "that's how we do it here". Everyone has their own style, but you need a good background of actual knowledge, and if you have to learn it on your own, you spend a lot of time hitting your head against the wall with attendings who either don't know it or don't "believe" it.
Also, don't pay for food or parking. That's ****ing ******ed.

I'd say go to a program where there isn't much scutwork and you are treated well as a resident. I'm sure a lot of people can say that they work hard and get some crazy training at their programs, but how many of them can say that they also feel spoiled by their programs from time to time? That's how I feel about my program(Maimonides) at least.

I think doing residency at place where it serves your carreer goal ( like tox, US, peds ect) is one of the factors helps deciding which programs to rank. Another factor is geography, as mentioned. All the programs prepare you to be a good enough attending.

I know I have posted this before, but here goes:

First and foremost, when you start building your rank list, the absolute most important issue is personal fit. Yes, yes, I know that there are eyes rolling already. But here me out.

1. The EM RRC is an incredibly tightly regulated RRC's that exist (probably due to it being one of the younger residencies). (The RRC is the governing body of residencies.. each specialty has its own RRC that determines what allows programs to be accredited). Trust me, ours is tight and specific. What does this mean for applicants? That when it comes to what you are going to see and do as a resident, programs are all meeting a very high bar. This is actually a *good* thing for you. It means that you can focus on other things and not have to worry if you are goign to learn the things you need to learn to become a competently trained EM physician.

2. Happy residents produce. Period. If you are happy with your colleagues, faculty and program director, and where you are living, etc, you will do more, which will make you more competitive- if this is the path you want to take. Do not underestimate this component. Even the happiest residents go through periods in residency that are exceptionally difficult. Residency is hard. You want to do everything you can to be able to counter that and be as happy as possible. If you are in a city you hate, or with people you don't get on with, or have no support or release outside of work, youw ill be a miserable resident and not produce.

Now, with that out of the way, an eye to some of these other things are helpful: Is there diverse faculty who can expose you to a variety of areas of EM (meaning wilderness, ultrasound, global health, etc etc etc). Benefits.... its nice to have insurance, etc.

Location.