What are your different ways?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannabeOrtho

Surgery Go'er
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking for a variety range of different volunteer activites to do that not very common, but very fun!

What are the different ways you volunteered, or volunteer?

From the usual hospital, to volunteering helping your neighbor with their garden.

List them please.

Members don't see this ad.

WannabeOrtho said:
Hello all,
I am looking for a variety range of different volunteer activites to do that not very common, but very fun!

From the usual hospital, to volunteering helping your neighbor with their garden.

List them please.

Volunteer in the ER. That's pretty much the best thing you can do.

OSUdoc08 said:
Volunteer in the ER. That's pretty much the best thing you can do.

I am planning on doing that. I was really thinking of more "unique" ways, and wondered all the different ones people have done. I know it's early, but I like to plan ahead. One example is that I was the first person registered, and paid for for this fall semester of undergraduate, lol. If I was a interviewer I would get sick of the same, ah volunteered in the local ER, and shadowed acouple doctors. I have a list of all my doctors in the area, I plan to shadow every single one. Question for some of you already in interview, or filling out your applications. Did/Are you adding another "add new entry" in the volunteer/communtiy service, or whatever for each doctor that you have shadowed? Also, when you send in letters of recommendation can you send in more than they request? Like if you have one from 5 different DO's in five different areas of medicine can you send all 5 in, plus the other required 2 from science faculty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright all I am sorry for asking so many questions. Some of you may be getting annoyed at me, or are tired of the newbie questions, but I cannot find answers elsewhere so I guess I call you all my "resource". Do medical schools typicall not like a person with multiple degrees? (Ex. Bachelors in Nursing, Bachelors in Spanish) Also do they typically care if you got a degree from a online univeristy if it is accredited?

Sorry if my constant questions bothers some of you.

Justin

WannabeOrtho said:
Hello all,

List them please.
Cub scout den leader.

WannabeOrtho said:
Hello all,

List them please.

I volunteer at a free clinic in Tampa. The schools really love it because I am giving back to a part of the community that is underserved and under represented. It is also so much fun. You end up with more patient contact then volunteering at a hospital and it is something a little different from the average student who just volunteers at the hospital.

Coached Special Olympics
Big Brother/Big Sister
Behavioral Therapist for Child w/ Autism
Organized Blood Drives
Organized 5k Runs to benefit Cancer Research
Visited Childrens Hospital
Cooked Meals at Ronald McDonald House