SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What are your major non-clincial, non-research EC's?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SMW, Aug 31, 2002.

1. SMW

SMW Grand Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    i.e. what do you all do for fun that you can put on an application or talk about at an interview that shows you have a life outside of trying to get into med school? I'll start.

SMW - music (playing and listening), reading, hiking, camping

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Smitty3L

Smitty3L Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Music (huge CD collection, attend concerts, play piano & a little guitar); reading; I love independent films; my biggest extracurricular activity - my dog (who I treat like my child....it's pretty sad)

4. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major 7+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Florida,USA
    I doctor my family and 4 dogs, does that count? I even took care of my beagle(her name is Pork Chop) when she got breast cancer. Poor baby. It's quite a story.;)

5. Street Philosopher

Street Philosopher freebird 10+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2000
    ann arbor
    i like to walk around outside all day. then when i get home i get to pick the fruits of my labor. there is nothing quite like the satisfaction of removing a large piece of snot from your nose with your bare fingers, then flicking it across the room, making an audidle noise as it hits an unknown piece of furniture on the other side of the room.

6. blackbird03

blackbird03 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2002
    Is it really possible to put hobbies on a medical school application that does not relate to medicine?? I mean, Would you seriously consider putting "Classical music" under vocational activities if you simply enjoy rather than actively perform in an ensemble?

7. Zurich5

Zurich5 Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Hoosierville
    Street Philosopher : i like to walk around outside all day. then when i get home i get to pick the fruits of my labor. there is nothing quite like the satisfaction of removing a large piece of snot from your nose with your bare fingers, then flicking it across the room, making an audidle noise as it hits an unknown piece of furniture on the other side of the room.

Haha, Yes! Right on.

8. do you guys actually not do anything not related to medicine??? Thats absurd.

I am the photography editor of my daily college newspaper.

9. leorl

leorl Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Rowing, a couple Classics (Latin and Greek) leagues, various positions for my college newspaper, serve on faculty committees, tutor for AOL.

10. tatabox80

tatabox80 Super-Duper Member 10+ Year Member

May 24, 2002
    Ohio
    I work at a daycare center. The pay sucks, but it's a ton of fun!!

11. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 1999
    ?
    I'm a figure skating coach!

12. lll505

lll505 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Couldn't live w/o my outside interests...

Play piano and guitar, dance hip hop, afro-cuban folkloric, rumba, salsa, merengue, cuban rueda,, writing poetry, advanced scuba diver, world traveler...

13. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    There is a specific EC category on the AMCAS app for Hobbies/Avocations. I wouldn't put just listening to music down, but did put all my music lessons, ensembles, etc.

14. bruinmojo

bruinmojo Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2001
    New York
    Other than athletically active (or try to be), I have sung for the past two years (being trained in Opera and Persian music). I have performed in different events and concerts.

I'm also one of the officers of a student group in my school.

Lately, I've become a nerd and I'm actually enjoying reading a casual book. Finished up on "First, do no harm," and now i'm starting to read "House of god"

15. efex101

efex101 attending Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2002
    MN
    personal training, teaching dance classes/kickboxing/step aerobics, international presenter for fitness conferences, reading, going shopping with my daughter.

16. buglady

buglady We need more cowbell 10+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Evergreen State
    I run....and run and run... I'm getting closer to running "ultra's" (distances longer than a marathon, >26.2 miles). The longer the better, I say! I ran my first 30k today up in the Sly Park/El Dorado Forest area (near South Lake Tahoe)...wahoo! Fun times.

I also like to do yoga and rock climb....oh, and when it snows, I'm on my snowboard or cross country ski's....:cool:

I'm glad to see we are a diverse group of people....I'm very impressed!

17. Pickle Salt

Pickle Salt *curtsies* 7+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2002
    TX
    any and all live music (preferably euro rock); help fill an art gallery on campus; painting (with my breasts)

18. bruinmojo

bruinmojo Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2001
    New York

I have always been a fan of modern art ;)

keep up the good work!!

19. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent 7+ Year Member

Jun 13, 2002
    good question.... ;)
    lacrosse (play/coach), run a tutoring program (do a lot of tutoring and volunteering), running (but nothing ultra...:)), improving my french :love: , tour guiding....couple other college things, but that's the end of the big ones!

20. JScrusader

JScrusader Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2002
    FL
    football, football, football, oh, and rehabing from orthopaedic surgeries.

21. Forensic Chick

Forensic Chick 10+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2002
    California
    JSCrusader,

I'm with you on the orthopaedic surgeries... I've had four. I figured out that I've been on crutches for over a year's time and in physical therapy for almost three years. I won't be adding those facts to my application or resume though... :p

22. UCLA Paratrooper

UCLA Paratrooper Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Push-ups, sit-ups, 2-mile runs, road marches, assualting bunkers, conducting ambushes, jumping out of airplanes, conducting troop leading procudures, giving operation orders, leading PT, recon missions, rapelling...all with Army ROTC, my biggest non-medical activity.

UCLA Paratrooper

23. lll505

Aug 22, 2002
    I can't believe I forgot this one...

SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX

You get the idea...

24. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    You're going to put that on your application and/or discuss it in interviews? ;)

25. lll505

Aug 22, 2002
    Only if the interviewer is male :love: