What are your major non-clincial, non-research EC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW

Grand Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i.e. what do you all do for fun that you can put on an application or talk about at an interview that shows you have a life outside of trying to get into med school? I'll start.

SMW - music (playing and listening), reading, hiking, camping

Members don't see this ad.

Music (huge CD collection, attend concerts, play piano & a little guitar); reading; I love independent films; my biggest extracurricular activity - my dog (who I treat like my child....it's pretty sad)

I doctor my family and 4 dogs, does that count? I even took care of my beagle(her name is Pork Chop) when she got breast cancer. Poor baby. It's quite a story.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
i like to walk around outside all day. then when i get home i get to pick the fruits of my labor. there is nothing quite like the satisfaction of removing a large piece of snot from your nose with your bare fingers, then flicking it across the room, making an audidle noise as it hits an unknown piece of furniture on the other side of the room.

Is it really possible to put hobbies on a medical school application that does not relate to medicine?? I mean, Would you seriously consider putting "Classical music" under vocational activities if you simply enjoy rather than actively perform in an ensemble?

Street Philosopher : i like to walk around outside all day. then when i get home i get to pick the fruits of my labor. there is nothing quite like the satisfaction of removing a large piece of snot from your nose with your bare fingers, then flicking it across the room, making an audidle noise as it hits an unknown piece of furniture on the other side of the room.

Haha, Yes! Right on.

do you guys actually not do anything not related to medicine??? Thats absurd.

I am the photography editor of my daily college newspaper.

I work at a daycare center. The pay sucks, but it's a ton of fun!!

I'm a figure skating coach!

Couldn't live w/o my outside interests...

Play piano and guitar, dance hip hop, afro-cuban folkloric, rumba, salsa, merengue, cuban rueda,, writing poetry, advanced scuba diver, world traveler...

Originally posted by blackbird03
Is it really possible to put hobbies on a medical school application that does not relate to medicine?? I mean, Would you seriously consider putting "Classical music" under vocational activities if you simply enjoy rather than actively perform in an ensemble?

There is a specific EC category on the AMCAS app for Hobbies/Avocations. I wouldn't put just listening to music down, but did put all my music lessons, ensembles, etc.

Other than athletically active (or try to be), I have sung for the past two years (being trained in Opera and Persian music). I have performed in different events and concerts.

I'm also one of the officers of a student group in my school.

Lately, I've become a nerd and I'm actually enjoying reading a casual book. Finished up on "First, do no harm," and now i'm starting to read "House of god"

Members don't see this ad :)
personal training, teaching dance classes/kickboxing/step aerobics, international presenter for fitness conferences, reading, going shopping with my daughter.

I run....and run and run... I'm getting closer to running "ultra's" (distances longer than a marathon, >26.2 miles). The longer the better, I say! I ran my first 30k today up in the Sly Park/El Dorado Forest area (near South Lake Tahoe)...wahoo! Fun times.

I also like to do yoga and rock climb....oh, and when it snows, I'm on my snowboard or cross country ski's....:cool:

I'm glad to see we are a diverse group of people....I'm very impressed!

any and all live music (preferably euro rock); help fill an art gallery on campus; painting (with my breasts)

Originally posted by Pickle Salt
any and all live music (preferably euro rock); help fill an art gallery on campus; painting (with my breasts)

I have always been a fan of modern art ;)

keep up the good work!!

lacrosse (play/coach), run a tutoring program (do a lot of tutoring and volunteering), running (but nothing ultra...:)), improving my french :love: , tour guiding....couple other college things, but that's the end of the big ones!

football, football, football, oh, and rehabing from orthopaedic surgeries.

JSCrusader,

I'm with you on the orthopaedic surgeries... I've had four. I figured out that I've been on crutches for over a year's time and in physical therapy for almost three years. I won't be adding those facts to my application or resume though... :p

Push-ups, sit-ups, 2-mile runs, road marches, assualting bunkers, conducting ambushes, jumping out of airplanes, conducting troop leading procudures, giving operation orders, leading PT, recon missions, rapelling...all with Army ROTC, my biggest non-medical activity.

UCLA Paratrooper

I can't believe I forgot this one...

SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX, SEX

You get the idea...

You're going to put that on your application and/or discuss it in interviews? ;)

Only if the interviewer is male :love: