You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What are your thoughts on the Mayo Clinic (Rochester) residency program?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I grew up in Rochester and trained there. Rochester's kind of lame, but Mpls is close enough to get dinner and catch a concert or sporting event occasionally. Training program is excellent. If I had to pick a weakness, I'd say peds (no freestanding children's hospital, lower volumes than big-name peds powerhouses). Lots of CRNAs, and there is an SRNA program, but these things work to your advantage in that you get to all your didactics and don't spend all night in the OR. You never compete for cases with SRNAs (way more than enough to go around). You get a lot more supervisory experience (both with residents and CRNAs) than most big-name programs, which I found particularly valuable when starting a mostly ACT practice job. I finished up with multiples to orders-of-magnitude higher than ACGME required numbers for every category (including peds, which I mentioned above as a relative weakness). Did a ton of cardiac (>200 pump cases, >400 CVC/PAC, >100 TEE), nerve blocks (>400), labor epidurals (>300), etc. Lots of zebras mixed in with your bread and butter. I once did two pheochromocytomas back to back (ended up with ~10 total), as well as back to back cardiac amyloid cases. Did 5 liver transplants in a weekend. Multiple thoracoabdominal aneurysms. Combined c-section/aortic valve replacement. And so on. We did 7 months of CCM (including intern year) when I was there. "Senior" ICU months (2) have you functioning interchangeably with CCM fellows from all disciplines (med/cc, pulm/cc, trauma/cc, anesthesia/cc). Culture is pretty laid back. Faculty very nice and respectful for the most part. Surgeons can be dickbags, but that's just academics I think. I think the program and city attract a lot of married with children types (low cost, safe, good schools, pretty non-existent nightlife, etc). Lots of Mormon folks, in all specialties, but especially anesthesia. Overall, I was 100% prepared to hit the ground running in a busy private practice on day 1 after finishing my training. Purely from a training standpoint, it's hard to beat. There are definitely other great programs with better weather/city life. Pick what's important to you and rank accordingly.
M
misteratoz
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted171991
Sounds like a fantastic program. 👍I grew up in Rochester and trained there. Rochester's kind of lame, but Mpls is close enough to get dinner and catch a concert or sporting event occasionally. Training program is excellent. If I had to pick a weakness, I'd say peds (no freestanding children's hospital, lower volumes than big-name peds powerhouses). Lots of CRNAs, and there is an SRNA program, but these things work to your advantage in that you get to all your didactics and don't spend all night in the OR. You never compete for cases with SRNAs (way more than enough to go around). You get a lot more supervisory experience (both with residents and CRNAs) than most big-name programs, which I found particularly valuable when starting a mostly ACT practice job. I finished up with multiples to orders-of-magnitude higher than ACGME required numbers for every category (including peds, which I mentioned above as a relative weakness). Did a ton of cardiac (>200 pump cases, >400 CVC/PAC, >100 TEE), nerve blocks (>400), labor epidurals (>300), etc. Lots of zebras mixed in with your bread and butter. I once did two pheochromocytomas back to back (ended up with ~10 total), as well as back to back cardiac amyloid cases. Did 5 liver transplants in a weekend. Multiple thoracoabdominal aneurysms. Combined c-section/aortic valve replacement. And so on. We did 7 months of CCM (including intern year) when I was there. "Senior" ICU months (2) have you functioning interchangeably with CCM fellows from all disciplines (med/cc, pulm/cc, trauma/cc, anesthesia/cc). Culture is pretty laid back. Faculty very nice and respectful for the most part. Surgeons can be dickbags, but that's just academics I think. I think the program and city attract a lot of married with children types (low cost, safe, good schools, pretty non-existent nightlife, etc). Lots of Mormon folks, in all specialties, but especially anesthesia. Overall, I was 100% prepared to hit the ground running in a busy private practice on day 1 after finishing my training. Purely from a training standpoint, it's hard to beat. There are definitely other great programs with better weather/city life. Pick what's important to you and rank accordingly.
I'm curious...Can you describe the setting where a CT surgeon would do an AVR the same time as a C-section? Really bad Endocarditis maybe?
I'm curious...Can you describe the setting where a CT surgeon would do an AVR the same time as a C-section? Really bad Endocarditis maybe?
Severe AS plus pregnant.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20075539/
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
M
misteratoz
I spent some time there as a student.... all I can say is... AMAZING PROGRAM, SECOND TO NONE !!!
Based on? In comparison to what other program?
Based on? In comparison to what other program?
Layers of clothing needed to go to your car?
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
M
misteratoz
Layers of clothing needed to go to your car?
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Again, the thread was in reference to things other than weather. I get it, it's Rochester. Nobody is going there to vacation.
like many places, it's 2nd to none, that's all you gotta know
M
misteratoz
I sense sarcasm but I'm not sure why....
I sense sarcasm but I'm not sure why....
It's a very good program if you can handle the extremely cold winters (long too) as well as the relatively small town location.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 1K