What area of pharmacy interests you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATOR Girl

Jenny
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what type of pharmacist you all what to be? I personally love working in retail pharmacy as a technician, but I would love to explore other options after I become a pharmacist. With a BS in nutrition, I was considering nutritional support pharmacy. I was also considering geriatric clinical pharmacy - I love our wise elders! What interests all of you?

Members don't see this ad.

A slow, slow deterioration of ambition. It has gone something like this:

P-1: I want to get a PhD in medicinal chemistry!
P-2: I think I'll settle with a residency.
P-3: Eh, screw it. Mail order or night shift. Anything that doesn't involve people. I'm gonna go watch TV.......
P-4: ????

Based on the regression, by this time next year I'll probably just decide to do nothing and go on welfare.

I was thinking of getting an MBA in the joint PharmD/MBA program.... just because it offers so many opportunities for advancement in management etc. Not sure yet but I'm hoping it can be done!
I also enjoy retail but there are so many practice settings out there, most of which I'm embarassed to admit I don't understand all that well.... Looking forward to all the experiences I'll have in pharmacy school that will hopefully gear me toward my future career ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
From the little I have learned about it in my PTCB classes, I'm thinking I would love to be involved with home infusion therapy. I'm looking forward to learning more about it.

Chris

Anything EXCEPT retail. Retail Pharmacy = Evilness. :smuggrin:

Ha, seriously though I really like hospital pharmacy. I'm looking forward to PY4 and all those rotations! I'll decide in a few years... :)

WVUPharm2007 said:

P-3: Eh, screw it. Mail order or night shift. Anything that doesn't involve people. I'm gonna go watch TV.......

Based on the regression, by this time next year I'll probably just decide to do nothing and go on welfare.

I concur. At this point, I just want to get it overwith. Working in a mail order assembly line with an iPod sounds great right now.

Going to go to law school after pharmacy school..

WVUPharm2007 said:

:laugh: :laugh: You are outta control...that is soooo messed up on so many levels

The combined JD degree was a thought for a BRIEF moment (till DH asked me when I'd EVER be done with school). Seriously, since I was already career switching we really couldn't afford another 3-4 years for yet another degree and to start a family.

Right now I'm really interested in long term care consulting. It sounds very interesting and a good use of my education.

ApothRM said:

That's crazy coincidental! I just found out that one of our overnight pharmacists has a law degree in addition to her pharmacy degree. What is up with that combination?

Chris

I know someone wanting to go into law after pharmacy to start up some kind of pharmacuetical law firm.

You all do realize some pharmacy schools (i.e. the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy) as well as a few others, offer a joint pharmd/JD degree. If going to law school is a thought, then applying to a school with this type of program would be a good choice. This would save you time, as well as the money and effort it would take to get accepted to both pharmacy school, and law school.

I'm going to get a MD after pharmacy school. Yeah...I have no life.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is SO bad about retail? Maybe I want to go into it because I have yet to experience it. I guess I will know for sure after rotations/clerkships, eh, whatever they're called.

MaybeCO2010 said:
what is SO bad about retail? Maybe I want to go into it because I have yet to experience it. I guess I will know for sure after rotations/clerkships, eh, whatever they're called.

I work retail at a private pharmacy, and I love it!! The pharmacist who I work for has owned the pharmacy for over 30 years, and he still has most of his original customers. Most of his customers are doctors, ect. It's a bit different than CVS, Walmart, etc. I guess.

ApothRM said:

I never thought about that route. What do you plan to do when you are finished with law school?

BelowTheMean said:
I'm going to get a MD after pharmacy school. Yeah...I have no life.

Why did you decide to do pharmacy before MD?

GATOR Girl said:
Just wondering what type of pharmacist you all what to be? I personally love working in retail pharmacy as a technician, but I would love to explore other options after I become a pharmacist. With a BS in nutrition, I was considering nutritional support pharmacy. I was also considering geriatric clinical pharmacy - I love our wise elders! What interests all of you?
That sounds interesting and I want to be involved in something similar. My husband and I are in the process of starting another business and we are leaning to buying a Nutrisport here in San Diego. Maybe if and when I finish pharmacy school I can start a business that combines both nutritional support and perscription medication. :thumbup:

animal_lover said:
Why did you decide to do pharmacy before MD?

That's an interesting question. If I were to answer that...hmm...maybe getting an education in pharmacy offers quite a lot more career flexibility, as in the number of things you can do with pharmacy. You can jump within one field of pharmacy to another. But perhaps with an MD, years of studying and residency will put you at one place, and if you wanted to do something else that's medicine-related, more years of studying/experience will be needed to try a different aspect of medicine. :D

MaybeCO2010 said:

Think of the mentality folks have when they go through the drive thru at McDonalds... crappy food fast, right? Well, they have that same expectation when they come through the pharmacy drive thru? "What?! I don't just drive to the next window and you have my medications right away?! Just go grab the bottle off the shelf and give me the damn pills!!!"

...and that is just ONE of the joys of retail.

Chris

I spoke with a pharmacist today who loved her job in industry- working at Wyeth doing Drug Safety work. Sounds kind of bland but when she explained it, it seemed kind of interesting. Something like that might be nice. She would take calls from people who had such-n-such side effects from such-n-such drug and create reports and studies based on that info.
This was a few years back and did not require her to have a residency or rotation in industry. Anyone know if this would this still be true today? Or does a position in industry require a rotation/internship or residency?

WVUPharm2007 said:

Well, I would have discouraged you from the PhD in Med Chem right away.
Where are you going to work? A pharmaceutical co?
I am a medicinal chemist wiht a BS. If you want to work in drug discovery you need a PHD in Organic chemistry in a top univrsity with a Nobel Prize professor. YOu must take the abuse for 5 years and never see the light of day. You must work in natural product synthesis with some emphasis in methodology. You would be a hard core scientist.

ndearwater said:
I spoke with a pharmacist today who loved her job in industry- working at Wyeth doing Drug Safety work. Sounds kind of bland but when she explained it, it seemed kind of interesting. Something like that might be nice. She would take calls from people who had such-n-such side effects from such-n-such drug and create reports and studies based on that info.
This was a few years back and did not require her to have a residency or rotation in industry. Anyone know if this would this still be true today? Or does a position in industry require a rotation/internship or residency?
This requires a knowledge of regulatory affairs if you want to eventually get more responsibility. Is a nice desk job. Also you would be in meetings with the FDA representing your company (provided you are good and can keep your cool in stressful meetings.) I think is big $$$$. But some long hours. It depends what you take on this can be the case in smaller burgeoning biotechs.
In pharmaceuticals you need to know somebody. NETWORK!

after working in a cancer lab, oncology pharmacy.

One of my classmates who works at CVS says his pharmacist in charge has a big (500 count) empty bottle that he keeps near the drive-thru window. The bottle has "NOW" taped on it in big block letters, and when somebody comes through the drive-thru and says they want something now, then he hands them the bottle.

Think of the mentality folks have when they go through the drive thru at McDonalds... crappy food fast, right? Well, they have that same expectation when they come through the pharmacy drive thru? "What?! I don't just drive to the next window and you have my medications right away?! Just go grab the bottle off the shelf and give me the damn pills!!!"

Chris

One of my classmates who works at CVS says his pharmacist in charge has a big (500 count) empty bottle that he keeps near the drive-thru window. The bottle has "NOW" taped on it in big block letters, and when somebody comes through the drive-thru and says they want something now, then he hands them the bottle.

Now THAT is a good idea. I've never worked in a drive-thru pharmacy so I've never gotten to have fun with that.

Now that it's been 1.5 years since that original post (DAAAMNN, time flies...) I would like to change mine to "nuclear pharmacy."

Hi!!!
Probably if you go to law school you can specialize in the Intellectual property law and be Patent Attorney and patent drugs.Even though I have never heard of the person who patents drugs probably because the law firm that I work for just isn't specializing in the stuff like that. (patentaion of the drugs).I was thinking about that but you know let me just get into the pharmacy school.

Chris

I think retail suits some people. I had a preceptor this semester who grumbled about his job, but still loved it and genuinely cared about his patients.

I'm planning to do an internship in retail this summer. Next summer, I hope to do a hospital internship. I'll decide which one I like best.

Here's why I quoted Chris. I believe that we, as professionals/students, should put pressure on industry to close those gard-danged drive-thru windows. :smuggrin: Neither of the companies I'm interviewing with for internships do drive-thrus and I make it known that I appreciate that. If I decide on retail, I won't work a drive-thru.

Now back to the topic. I have no idea what I want to do yet. :laugh:

I am presently only completing my pre-pharmacy courses, but I have an interest in hospital pharmacy in the pediatrics field. I have conisered a specialization in oncology, but like I said, I am at the beginning of the road.... so we will see :)

I think I wanna go into geriatric pharmacy. I think I would like to work with all those baby boomers!!

Is there anyone out there who really loves working in retail? Since most pharmacists work in retail, there has to be some people out there who like it and are planning on going that route.

after working in a cancer lab, oncology pharmacy.

I am considering this route, too. Otherwise, I am interested in nuclear pharmacy. Perhaps I may go into retail intitially, but I would like to specialize.

Is there anyone out there who really loves working in retail? Since most pharmacists work in retail, there has to be some people out there who like it and are planning on going that route.

I have worked in retail for about 7 years and I plan to work in a retail pharmacy position when I get out of RX school. I really enjoy it. Sometimes people are buttholes, but more often they are nice. Some people think I'm crazy, but it's always interesting!!

I have done quite a bit of thinking about what area of pharmacy I would do. My first choice would be clinical managed care, then drug information, then would teach.

After my experiences in a retail pharmacy, you'd have to pull me back kicking and screaming!!!!!!!! LOL :laugh:

what a great question! im so undecisive :D i workout consistently and take supplements, and it was when i was learning how supplements work that got me interested in pharmaceutical science. i want to create new supplements :laugh: i am also very interested in nutritional science and i'm trying to figure out if i can tie these two fields together for future athletes/bodybuilders/etc

im also interested in the field of neuroscience and neuropharmacology sounds SO interesting.

decisions decisions..

After what I've read about compounding it sounds really interesting. I've also read a bit about the history of pharmacy 100-150 years ago when compounding was very common. I told my wife how cool it must have been to be a pharmacist at that time, but she just thinks I should have been born a century ago.

I'd love to hear experiences from those who have worked in a compounding pharmacy.

:) I already answered this, but i know i may work some retail prn to help pay off my loans but not full time though.

I'm thinking about working in a hospital pharmacy setting after getting experience (and hopefully paying off loans) in the retail setting.

I am interested in doing oncology, possibly might even do an oncology residency....I have to live up to what I said in my interview now :)

Last edited:
I think I wanna go into geriatric pharmacy. I think I would like to work with all those baby boomers!!

Excuse me, but some of those baby boomers are still in their early to mid-40s...not ready for geriatrics yet!

neuropharmacology sounds fun to me, but time will tell.

WHERE DO YOU WORK WITH SUCH SPECILIZATION? AND HOW MANY YEARS OF RESIDENCIES DOES IT REQUIRE?VWOULDNOT IT BE BETTER TO HAVE A PHD TO DO SUCH A THING RATHER THAN A PHARMD?
Neuropharmacology for me too

Most of the specialtiy fields like oncology, peds, neuro, etc require a PGY1 pharmacy practice residency and a PGY2 speciality residency.

With that...DI or ID for me!

I am going to do a residency in nuclear pharmacy. :oops: If I can survive working in that area, I am going to specialize in compounding cancer chemotherapy drugs. :scared: First, you will have to sign a waiver releasing me from all responsibility in regard to the chemotherapy in order to get the meds though me because I know you are going to eventually die.:laugh:

Mike