What books should I get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already purchased the Gevitz: Osteopathy in America, and am eagerly waiting its arrival.
Any other good Osteopathic books which might be work getting for a 2nd year undergrad such as myself?
What about good books on medical schools? I have found tons of books which outline each and every Allopathic school, but what about good books that give details on Osteopathic schools? Something that can help me find a school that is best for me and so that I can learn about them?
Any books that may help me in an interview?
And what are some good MCAT books?

Thank you very much

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I have Iserson, and it really helped me even in dental school interview prep'n. It's about $30, but as Paul's Boutique said, very helpful w/Q and A's. Many books have lists of questions; very few actually talk about what TO say and what NOT to say in an interview.

As for guidebooks on schools, I ran into the same problem for dental schools (all kinds of allo med books in the world, but next to nothing for dental). The solution for me was the guidebook put out by the American Association of Dental Schools. Is there an Osteo. assoc'n that might have a web site and sell a guide book??? Just a thought.

------------------
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Members don't see this ad :)
Josh,
Some of the books I found helpful are:
1. "Barrons Guide to Medical and Dental Schools" - This book gives info on ALL medical school (DO included), stats, tuition, stuff like that.

2. "Getting Into Medical School" I think the author is "Brown". A good book for reviewing what to do to get into schools.

3. "Intern Blues" and "Learning to Play God" by Marion. These are really fun books to read I just couldnt put them down. They are true stories from Residents and Interns and the trials they must go through

4. EMERGENCY! I just bought this book and am unsure of the author, I will let you know. This is another fun book. IT IS VERY GOOD. I read it in one sitting. Tons and tons of stories from the ER (some funny, some sad, some scary etc.) Most are by MD's but a good portion is contributed from DO's, Nurses, PA's.

Let me know if you have any questions about DO school. I start at DMU come August.

Later,
Stasch

JP,

I just finished reading a book called "A Not Entirely Benign Procedure" that is about one student's experiences through medical school. It was more entertaining than anything, but I feel a little more "clued in" on the next few years. I'm also reading a book called "White Coat..." that also describes medical school from a student's point of view. These books don't give you advise about getting in to medical school, but they will help you grasp what medical school is really like.

------------------
Rhett
UHS Class of 2004