What can be done about back pain??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

say_awwww

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im a long time lurker, but a first time poster. I am a rising 2nd year, and I have a question regarding back pain. It seems like after every COD lab, or after doing an amlagam in a real patient (which I have done only one), my upper back aches, particularly between my shoulder blades. Is this due to a technique problem, if so are there any suggestions, or is this something you just get used to?

Thanks guys

UNC 2007

Members don't see this ad.

say_awwww said:
Hi, Im a long time lurker, but a first time poster. I am a rising 2nd year, and I have a question regarding back pain. It seems like after every COD lab, or after doing an amlagam in a real patient (which I have done only one), my upper back aches, particularly between my shoulder blades. Is this due to a technique problem, if so are there any suggestions, or is this something you just get used to?

Thanks guys

UNC 2007

Hi say_awwwwwwwwwwwwwww :D

For new dentists/ dental students, the chance of getting back pain solely due to dentistry is low( unless you already had back problem before). Afterall, you haven't done that much. Most often reasons for back pain in your case would be

(1) as a new dentist, you are nervous and therefore use all your muscles everywhere while doing dental work.It is just like when you learn biking or skiing, you do not know which muscles to use and which to relax, therefore you become sore faster.

If this is the case, just try to relax and and do not hurry yourself through procedures

(2) if you are pretty relaxed while working and still get back pain, it might be caused by bad posture. This is not good at all. Bad posture will take toll on you very soon

here are what I think can help
-- when you work on patients, if you have a doc's chair with a small back support, turn the back support to the front and use it for your weight support as you lean forward. But it is only used temporarily

-- lower your chair all the way until your entire soles touch the ground and your knees are bent close to 90 degrees.

-- Only lean forward to a minimal degree possible, move your chair close to the patient's head/ lab work table

-- do not shrug shoulders while working

-- always have fulcrum no matter what you work on

-- put your elbows close against your body, do not have the flying elbows out like a chicken

-- maintain your back straight up

-- get up and move around every 30mins, do a bit of head and shoulder movements.

-- there is more stress on your back when you sit than when you stand ( lying down is the least stressful position for your back, but unfortunately we can't do dentistry that way) a lot of people do not realize that and keep on sitting for the entire day. Get up from time to time, walk around.

-- reduce your back curve. At the lumbar area, our back has this natural curve. It is the area where lower back pain starts. Reduce your curve as much as possible during daily posture ( do not stick out your butt). From time to time, wrap your arms around the legs( bent legs) and reduce yourself to a ball like position ( we call that " jelly fish" position..) and extend your back curve in the opposite way

-- do not pick up heavy things with your back bent over, always stand as close to items as possible and pick them up with the weight of the items directly over your feet and align with your axis

-- do lots of sit ups, it helps to train your abdo muscles to support your back.

-- when you stand, "tighten your butt " so that you can reduce back curvature. if you stand for long time, try to alternate weights on right and left legs

Have you had back pain problem before? If you have, you want to be extra careful with your daily postures.

for now, just avoid picking up heavy stuff and rest well. Do not worry, those with displaced discs and pinched nerves can still play football, human ability to adaptation is huge, but it takes time

:)

hope it helps

organic said:
Hi say_awwwwwwwwwwwwwww :D

-- lower your chair all the way until your entire soles touch the ground and your knees are bent close to 90 degrees.

This might help your back, but I was told that the angle of your knees should always be greater than 90 degrees (i.e. you're sitting up higher).

Otherwise you run the risk of deep vein thrombosis...The same thing you worry about when flying, and that killed David Bloom.