What can I do before applications open?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThNeal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can I do before applications open to expedite the process? And how much do applications cost? I know everyone doesn't apply to the same schools but I would like to know an estimate of each school and if there are secondary application fees etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

The best you can do is know what's coming and prepare. There's going to be a lot of sending in items like transcripts, letters etc. So:

- it's $60 per school and $540 for ALL 9 schools. Determine how many you want to apply to and have your money ready

- you'll need transcripts for ALL schools attended (even those college programs where high school kids get college credits). If you have any holds on your bursar / registrar, pay it off before applications begin so you can get your xcripts sent on time

- start writing down who you want recc letters from and let them know when you need it by. This is the one that slows people down the most because letter writers usually are professors and doctors and they have busy schedules. Tell them during the summer and have it ready by July

- draft, edit, edit, edit, and re-write your personal statement. Have many people read it and give you feedback so you can perfect it. (Also beware, one of the 9 schools asks for a 2nd essay about diversity. I think it's scholl; not sure)

- Apply with confidence that you'll get in somewhere or at least land an interview so get your interview gear ready. Save up for a nice suit, get it tailored if you must do any alterations. Also have money ready for plane tickets / bus tickets in case you must travel for an interview

- Print yourself copies of your transcripts because you'll be entering your grades for all semesters, classes (unless you have them enter it for you for; you'll pay for that service though)

- Finally, learn something about podiatry. Read up on histories of schools, schedule some visits if you live close by so you can decide which schools you like.

There isn't a secondary application fee with the podiatry program

The best you can do is know what's coming and prepare. There's going to be a lot of sending in items like transcripts, letters etc. So:

- it's $60 per school and $540 for ALL 9 schools. Determine how many you want to apply to and have your money ready

- you'll need transcripts for ALL schools attended (even those college programs where high school kids get college credits). If you have any holds on your bursar / registrar, pay it off before applications begin so you can get your xcripts sent on time

- start writing down who you want recc letters from and let them know when you need it by. This is the one that slows people down the most because letter writers usually are professors and doctors and they have busy schedules. Tell them during the summer and have it ready by July

- draft, edit, edit, edit, and re-write your personal statement. Have many people read it and give you feedback so you can perfect it. (Also beware, one of the 9 schools asks for a 2nd essay about diversity. I think it's scholl; not sure)

- Apply with confidence that you'll get in somewhere or at least land an interview so get your interview gear ready. Save up for a nice suit, get it tailored if you must do any alterations. Also have money ready for plane tickets / bus tickets in case you must travel for an interview

- Print yourself copies of your transcripts because you'll be entering your grades for all semesters, classes (unless you have them enter it for you for; you'll pay for that service though)

- Finally, learn something about podiatry. Read up on histories of schools, schedule some visits if you live close by so you can decide which schools you like.

There isn't a secondary application fee with the podiatry program

Thank you so much! I read on another forum that I can start filling out classes that I've taken before the interview? Do I have to sign up for through a main access portal for podiatry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! I read on another forum that I can start filling out classes that I've taken before the interview? Do I have to sign up for through a main access portal for podiatry?

I wish I was home at a computer. I would have taken some screen caps to show you.

(1) Yeah, it's a centralized app service so you don't apply direct to the schools. Makes life very easy for you

(2) You will have to enter all your classes before the interview. It's how they'll know your GPAs.

(3) You could actually go on now, create a user ID & passwd then play with the interface as if you were actually apply. Don't apply or send transcripts or anything though. Just play with it. Get a feel for entering classes, grades, what categories the classes go under, etc. But don't submit. Then in August you'll know how to do it. I personally was halfway though applying this cycle but I withdrew at the last minute. I still have my app and transcripts on file. If I was at my computer at home, I would have provided pics for you. I'm at work now.

Btw, have you taken your MCAT? Graduated from college already?

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I was home at a computer. I would have taken some screen caps to show you.

(1) Yeah, it's a centralized app service so you don't apply direct to the schools. Makes life very easy for you

(2) You will have to enter all your classes before the interview. It's how they'll know your GPAs.

(3) You could actually go on now, create a user ID & passwd then play with the interface as if you were actually apply. Don't apply or send transcripts or anything though. Just play with it. Get a feel for entering classes, grades, what categories the classes go under, etc. But don't submit. Then in August you'll know how to do it. I personally was halfway though applying this cycle but I withdrew at the last minute. I still have my app and transcripts on file. If I was at my computer at home, I would have provided pics for you. I'm at work now.

Btw, have you taken your MCAT? Graduated from college already?

Thank you so much for replying! Sorry for the late response btw.

I will be graduating Spring 2017 (May) and studying until late July for the MCAT - I plan on taking it just before the August application opening. I will then apply as soon as I can in August; most likely to all eight schools.

-thoughts?

Thank you so much for replying! Sorry for the late response btw.

I will be graduating Spring 2017 (May) and studying until late July for the MCAT - I plan on taking it just before the August application opening. I will then apply as soon as I can in August; most likely to all eight schools.

-thoughts?

- there are 9 schools, not 8
- plan sounds fine. MCAT results take about a month so if you take it in August you'll have your scores in September. So just factor that into your time frame. I scheduled mine for June so I'll have scores by July and if I need a retake I can squeeze it into anywhere from Sept-Jan.

But you're good to go and your plan is fine. Good luck to you!

- there are 9 schools, not 8
- plan sounds fine. MCAT results take about a month so if you take it in August you'll have your scores in September. So just factor that into your time frame. I scheduled mine for June so I'll have scores by July and if I need a retake I can squeeze it into anywhere from Sept-Jan.

But you're good to go and your plan is fine. Good luck to you!

Is September still considered an early applicant?

I'm now several years out from the process, but I recommend (as indicated above) creating a profile just to see what the menu looks like and what the prompt is for the essays. This can be very helpful for a number of reasons - obviously it lets you write your statement ahead of time. Additionally, you may have a rough idea of the extracurrics you participated in, but you might not have ever sat down and written out the dates or time commitments or attempted to describe them in the most flattering light. Better to start that sooner rather than later. Things tend to be less painful when started earlier with small commitments along the way rather than last minute big time crunches.

Reactions: 1 user