What can I do besides practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeep69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
long story short I'm a D2, Absolutly hate dental school, nothing what I thought it was going to be like and I prolly got into the field for the wrong reasons. I'm debating dropping out or trying to stick it out but not sure if that is a wise idea if I dislike demtistry. If I get my DDS simply due to sheer stubbornness what options do I have besides practicing.

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't shadow or work in the field prior?

You can teach, conduct research, go into an oral pathology residency or an oral and maxillofacial radiology residency. See if those areas interest you. They entail work that is a little different than the direct clinical work that most dentists deal with day in and out. Also a subspecialty of prosth is maxillofacial prosthetics, which is quite different than traditional dentistry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
long story short I'm a D2, Absolutly hate dental school, nothing what I thought it was going to be like and I prolly got into the field for the wrong reasons. I'm debating dropping out or trying to stick it out but not sure if that is a wise idea if I dislike demtistry. If I get my DDS simply due to sheer stubbornness what options do I have besides practicing.

Are you HPSP? NHSC? Are you at a private school and do you have significant student loan debt? What do you imagine yourself doing if not dental school? What is it about dental school that you hate? Do you hate the field of dentistry itself, or just school?

@ncide covered your dental options pretty well, but I doubt you will endure an OMFS residency if you can't stomach dental school. Does research interest you? Getting a DDS out of stubbornness sounds like a really bad idea if you have no interest in being a dentist.

From your other thread:

Future you telling younger you to skip that interview and don't go to anymore, go with your gut, don't be afraid to fail at something your passionate about because you can fail at something you "safe",break up with that girl ASAP, distance yourself from your inner circle so you can think for yourself, and spend more time with your family while you could have.

What is your passion? What does the girl and the inner circle have to do with anything? Did they persuade you to go to dental school when you didn't want to?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@ncide covered your dental options pretty well, but I doubt you will endure an OMFS residency if you can't stomach dental school. Does research interest you? Getting a DDS out of stubbornness sounds like a really bad idea if you have no interest in being a dentist.

oral and maxillofacial radiology

It'd be insane to recommend OMFS to OP lol

Other paths include working for dental technology firms, consulting, or if you'd like you could go into law and with your DDS degree and represent doctors in litigation.

You could also consider management positions in corporate dentistry offices (I worked with several managing dentists who oversaw other dentists and they didn't have too many clinical days), you could enter the public health sector, or work for an organization like the ADEA or ADA.

You didn't shadow or work in the field prior?

You can teach, conduct research, go into an oral pathology residency or an oral and maxillofacial radiology residency. See if those areas interest you. They entail work that is a little different than the direct clinical work that most dentists deal with day in and out. Also a subspecialty of prosth is maxillofacial prosthetics, which is quite different than traditional dentistry.

I did not work In the field before but yes I did shadow, I
Are you HPSP? NHSC? Are you at a private school and do you have significant student loan debt? What do you imagine yourself doing if not dental school? What is it about dental school that you hate? Do you hate the field of dentistry itself, or just school?

From your other thread:

What is your passion? What does the girl and the inner circle have to do with anything? Did they persuade you to go to dental school when you didn't want to?

sent you a pm

There's always the business industry. You could work for Colgate, OralB, etc. or you could work for other dental product companies as a sales rep.
I know someone who sells Panoramic XRays for a living.... a really nice living... $25k for commission.

Not sure how much you are not interested in dentistry, but you can always go into lecturing, or research. Or maybe try to analyze the way you look at the field, I can tell you as a fellow D2 that it does wear you down mentally and physically at times, but then I think about how gratified a patient will be in the future if I execute a good filling or implant, crown, bone graft (insert whatever the hell). I have heard numerous people ahead of me and D1s, as well, who have said, "man, I made a mistake, I can't see myself doing this in the future" I think nearly all of them are still in it and are thriving, if not just content. With that being said, you can always go into a private dental-related company like others have mentioned.

I wish you the best of luck, man!