What can i do with a Pre-veterinary degree...? Also, Bachelors question for future plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zachomania

Reaction score
(International student going USA) I got accepted into a community college's Pre-vet program. I was wondering if I was to pursue this to the degree mark, at a full four year college, but not go another four years for my DVM, what would be the options available to me?

Also, I am aware you can be a vet by going to Australia by attaining a bachelors in a 4+2 years layout. I am unable to find any information about doing a bachelors in veterinary sciences for the US, I am only able to find a four year doctorate course. I was wondering if anyone here would be so kind as to enlighten me on this aspect? From my understanding, lots of vets here just have an Australian bachelors and they are able to practice.

For reference, this is my country's regulation on practicing:

Generally, veterinary degrees from veterinary schools fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) or the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council (AVBC) are acceptable qualifications for obtaining a veterinary licence in Singapore. These degrees may be issued by the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and AVMA-accredited veterinary schools.
Those who hold veterinary degrees from non-recognised universities may still be eligible for licensing based on the number of passes they obtained in one of the following examinations:

• RCVS Statutory Examination for Membership.
  • North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) through the Education Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) Certification.
  • National Veterinary Examination (NVE)
Thank you for helping me seek some clarity. I'm looking for something six years.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know there really isn't a bachelors in veterinary medicine here in the states or a program similar to what you described! You could pursue technician school and become a veterinary nurse as that is about a 2 year program! In order to practice as a veterinarian here in the states you are required to have a doctorate though!

Reactions: 1 users
I got accepted into a community college's Pre-vet program. I was wondering if I was to pursue this to the degree mark, at a full four year college, but not go another four years for my DVM, what would be the options available to me?
What is the actual degree in? Animal Science? Biology? Usually the "pre-vet" programs are one of those, it's not an actual free-standing "pre-veterinary" degree. You'll have a decent amount of options if only pursuing that, but you won't be able to be a veterinarian without additional study.

In order to be a practicing veterinarian in the US, you need to have a DVM/VMD or equivalent. That is a doctoral degree in the states.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As others have said, we do not have a bachelors degree that allows you to be a doctor (human or veterinary medicine) and practice medicine, like they do in Australia and the UK/Ireland . *Some* US schools will have a program where after 3 years of undergraduate studies you can go automatically into their doctoral program for vet med (where it’d be 4 more years) but you still have to apply and be accepted for one of those programs and some students are able to be accepted to a 4 year vet program after just 3 years of undergrad if they have the prerequisites finished. A lot end up finishing a full 4 year degree prior to vet school in the US

Honestly though, your best bet would be to stay in Australia and complete veterinary studies there. You’ll be out of state for most (if not all) US vet schools, depending on where that community college is. And tbh I don’t know the rules about international students and if they’re always considered out of state or if they can get in-state tuition if they’ve lived there since they’re not a US citizen, so that would also be something to look into. This pretty much means a minimum of $50,000 USD (80k AUD) in just tuition per year of vet school for 4 years. And then housing and living expenses on top of that.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a US citizen and attended a US veterinary school, but I did consider studying in Australia and South Africa. In those countries, you can complete a 5-6 year BVS (Bachelor of Veterinary Science) degree which makes you eligible to become licensed as a veterinarian. However, in the US, BVS degrees are only pre-veterinary medicine programs and do not make you license eligible. My undergrad program had a combined AS in veterinary technology and Bachelor of Veterinary Science degree. The AS was an accredited vet tech program and the BS contained the pre-requisites for a DVM program. With just the BVS degree, you could work in a lab, as a veterinary assistant, hospital administration, etc. Essentially anything that doesn't require a veterinary license.