What Can I Improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

HCHopeful

I just finished my sophomore year at a small liberal arts school in Nebraska. I have a few friends who just finished their applications and noticed I always catch myself nitpicking when I have no right. Since I am clearly looking through goggles at my own application, I would be grateful for a few unbiased opinions. Here is what it looks like thus far:

Major: Biology | Overall School GPA: 3.89 | Overall AMCAS GPA: 3.90 | BCPM (Science/Math) AMCAS GPA: 3.95

MCAT: TBD (I have signed up for the final testing date of the current format, which is January 23, 2015)

I will be applying in the Fall of 2015, with hopes of being accepted to start in Fall of 2016. My first choice is UNMC, as I am a rural Nebraska resident. I will be applying for early decision there.

EDIT: I am a white male. So my background is nothing intriguing. I want to practice in a rural setting, so I will likely stay in the Midwest even if I am not accepted into UNMC.
Extracurricular Activities:
  • University of Nebraska Medical Center's (UNMC) Shadow-a-Student Program
    • This was an opportunity to shadow students of the medical school program during class hours
  • Member of a few peer education groups on campus, such as:
    • BACCHUS: Boosting Alcohol Consciousness Concerning the Health of University Students
    • PHIVE-O: Peer HIV Education Organization
      • Both groups provide opportunities to deliver presentations and training to students on campus. PHIVE-O also presents such presentations and training to high schools around the area.
  • Member of the American Chemical Society - College Chapter
    • Responsible for founding a children's science fair at the local museum. Hope to make it an annual event.
  • Member of Beta Beta Beta Biology National Honor Society
    • Make charitable donations by participating in canned good drives, walks, and sales. Membership determined by good-standing, GPA, and overall work ethic.
  • Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) at UNMC
    • Six-week summer program designed to show students what to expect during medical school. Consisted of seven-hour lectures four days a week, clinical experience, shadowing, and lab experience (anatomy).
  • Hospital Pre-Medical Internship from January 6th - January 23rd, 2014.
    • During this internship, I was introduced to the intricate parts of a hospital. I not only visited every medical department in the hospital, but I also spent time with the IT Department, the Mechanical Department, and even the Janitorial Staff. Three weeks for eight hours a day.
  • United States Meat Animal Research Center Summer Internship (Current)
    • Conducting research with scientists concerning antimicrobial resistance in cattle. Specifically focused on the colon at death.
  • In the process of creating a group on campus. It will be a disaster relief group. Currently in the process of getting funds and organizing.
Volunteering (After writing this, I noticed this is a GAP. Any ideas are helpful.):
  • Referee for peewee baseball, football, and basketball. Total of 13 hours.
  • About 4 hours of service to a local ambulance company. Spent time cleaning ambulances and observing paramedics.
  • Approximately 20 hours dedicated to on campus activities.
Employment:
  • Self-Employed Karaoke D.J. (2012-Current)
    • Play events around the area. Have a monthly event set up with a local bar and have hosted many parties. Duties include setting up, providing background music, creating a good environment, singing, and tearing down.
  • Meat Animal Research Center (as mentioned above) (Summer of 2014)
    • I know things shouldn't be mentioned twice. Perhaps someone could tell me which it would be better placed under?
Artistic Endeavors:
  • Lead singer of a band playing shows around Nebraska.
    • Opened for the artist Chiddy Bang. Invited to UNMC to play at this year's (2014) SMDEP kick-off event and UNMC's student orientation in the fall. We have played shows in four different cities/towns. Note: This could also be considered a form of employment, as we do receive payment.
Shadowing Experience:
  • Total hours: 128 in three different settings. 120 hours over a three week period with a multitude of doctors. Namely three. Eight hours at UNMC with two separate doctors (Sorry for not including this initially, Goro).
I believe that is everything of importance. I appreciate you all taking your time to read this, and any input is greatly appreciated. Any (constructive) criticism is great. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of admirable service there, but have you actually ever set foot in a hospital? Smelled patient? Time to start clinical volunteering and shadowing. Show us you know what you're getting into (and I don't mean being a medical student).

I just finished my sophomore year at a small liberal arts school in Nebraska. I have a few friends who just finished their applications and noticed I always catch myself nitpicking when I have no right. Since I am clearly looking through goggles at my own application, I would be grateful for a few unbiased opinions. Here is what it looks like thus far:

Major: Biology | Overall School GPA: 3.89 | Overall AMCAS GPA: 3.90 | BCPM (Science/Math) AMCAS GPA: 3.95

MCAT: TBD (I have signed up for the final testing date of the current format, which is January 23, 2015)

I will be applying in the Fall of 2015, with hopes of being accepted to start in Fall of 2016. My first choice is UNMC, as I am a rural Nebraska resident. I will be applying for early decision there.

Extracurricular Activities:
  • University of Nebraska Medical Center's (UNMC) Shadow-a-Student Program
    • This was an opportunity to shadow students of the medical school program during class hours
  • Member of a few peer education groups on campus, such as:
    • BACCHUS: Boosting Alcohol Consciousness Concerning the Health of University Students
    • PHIVE-O: Peer HIV Education Organization
      • Both groups provide opportunities to deliver presentations and training to students on campus. PHIVE-O also presents such presentations and training to high schools around the area.
  • Member of the American Chemical Society - College Chapter
    • Responsible for founding a children's science fair at the local museum. Hope to make it an annual event.
  • Member of Beta Beta Beta Biology National Honor Society
    • Make charitable donations by participating in canned good drives, walks, and sales. Membership determined by good-standing, GPA, and overall work ethic.
  • Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) at UNMC
    • Six-week summer program designed to show students what to expect during medical school. Consisted of seven-hour lectures four days a week, clinical experience, shadowing, and lab experience (anatomy).
  • Hospital Pre-Medical Internship from January 6th - January 23rd, 2014.
    • During this internship, I was introduced to the intricate parts of a hospital. I not only visited every medical department in the hospital, but I also spent time with the IT Department, the Mechanical Department, and even the Janitorial Staff. Three weeks for eight hours a day.
  • United States Meat Animal Research Center Summer Internship (Current)
    • Conducting research with scientists concerning antimicrobial resistance in cattle. Specifically focused on the colon at death.
  • In the process of creating a group on campus. It will be a disaster relief group. Currently in the process of getting funds and organizing.
Volunteering (After writing this, I noticed this is a GAP. Any ideas are helpful.):
  • Referee for peewee baseball, football, and basketball. Total of 13 hours.
  • About 4 hours of service to a local ambulance company. Spent time cleaning ambulances and observing paramedics.
Employment:
  • Self-Employed Karaoke D.J. (2012-Current)
    • Play events around the area. Have a monthly event set up with a local bar and have hosted many parties. Duties include setting up, providing background music, creating a good environment, singing, and tearing down.
  • Meat Animal Research Center (as mentioned above) (Summer of 2014)
    • I know things shouldn't be mentioned twice. Perhaps someone could tell me which it would be better placed under?
Artistic Endeavors:
  • Lead singer of a band playing shows around Nebraska.
    • Opened for the artist Chiddy Bang. Invited to UNMC to play at this year's (2014) SMDEP kick-off event and UNMC's student orientation in the fall. We have played shows in four different cities/towns. Note: This could also be considered a form of employment, as we do receive payment.

I believe that is everything of importance. I appreciate you all taking your time to read this, and any input is greatly appreciated. Any (constructive) criticism is great. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
Where is your physician shadowing?? Aim for roughly 50 hours
Where is your medical/clinical volunteering? Roughly 150 hour should be your target
Where is the non-clinical volunteering?
Get research too if you can

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of admirable service there, but have you actually ever set foot in a hospital? Smelled patient? Time to start clinical volunteering and shadowing. Show us you know what you're getting into (and I don't mean being a medical student).

That's my fault, I edited my post to include shadowing experience.

Where is your medical/clinical volunteering? Roughly 150 hour should be your target

I have edited my post to include my shadowing hours. Sorry for the misinformation.

I have edited my post to include my shadowing hours. Sorry for the misinformation.
Ok remove shadowing from my list, work on clinical experience, that's something you really need to get involved in. I would say look for hospice, nursing homes, VA/etc. start up a long-term commitment with them

Also, when you say research, does the research I am assisting with currently not meet standards? I am conducting it with scientists at the United States Meat Animal Research Center. Are you referring to independent research?

Also, when you say research, does the research I am assisting with currently not meet standards? I am conducting it with scientists at the United States Meat Animal Research Center. Are you referring to independent research?
Depends on what kind of research work you are doing/how involved you are. Also you stated it was an internship, not sure if that means a month, 3 months, 6 months? It would be optimal to spend a good amount of time doing research, and since you still have 2 full years to go, it should be something that you can realistically get involved in for a somewhat extended amount of time. Especially if you are hoping to aim for top-tier, research-based schools - then you'll want a strong amount of research, ideally with publications for your best shot.

Depends on what kind of research work you are doing/how involved you are. Also you stated it was an internship, not sure if that means a month, 3 months, 6 months? It would be optimal to spend a good amount of time doing research, and since you still have 2 full years to go, it should be something that you can realistically get involved in for a somewhat extended amount of time. Especially if you are hoping to aim for top-tier, research-based schools - then you'll want a strong amount of research, ideally with publications for your best shot.

Alright. It is a summer internship. May 19th through August 22nd. So three months. And I have only been involved for three weeks, but it seems I will be heavily incorporated. I can see what you mean about the benefits of being involved for a length amount of time, though. Thank you for the input! I appreciate it very much.

You need to work on your volunteering overall, not just clinical. I don't see 13 hours of refereeing and 4 hours cleaning ambulances as worthy of slots on an application.

You have too much stuff that looks like application fluff. Get involved with something unique and LONG TERM (and preferably that will give you some clinical experience) that you can use as a foundation for the rest of your app.

Thank you all for your replies! I am now in the process of setting up some shadowing with two local doctors. I hope this leads into some clinical volunteering experiences. Also, I am looking into opportunities at the local nursing home. As a new member to this forum, I just want to say how amazing I believe this site is. I will most definitely be using this resource from here on out. Thank you, once again.