What can we do to help shut St. Chris down?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Amit1, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Amit1

Amit1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4410020.stm

Schools like this are a disgrace to mankind. In an effort to probe how corrupt these schools are, I called them as a prospective student. They assured me if I was a graduate from any US high school with a SAT above 1000 or ACT over 21 they could "guarantee me a spot in their medical school, provided I could pay the fees". In addition they asked if I knew anybody else who would like a degree - ANY degree "provided they could pay the fees".

They are sullying the reputation of the entire medical community and need to be dissolved as soon as possible. We should bear some responsibility if we are aware of such insults to our profession and choose to sit idly, rather than to take action.

2. At this point everything is just an allegation. Noone wants to see the students at St Chris lose their dreams. I hope it all works out

3. JO300

JO300 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think any new school have to start somewhere. and as long as it's students pass USMLE I, II they will be doctors like anyone else.
    I always believe that being a good doctor depents on me more than my school, 60/40 ratio.

4. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This could not possibly be farther from the truth. You may be able to sit and pass the Steps, but licensure (i.e., being able to legally call yourself "doctor") is wholly dependent on individual state licensure requirements. Before you're so cavalier with your statements, check the laws of the individual state in which you want to practice. Diplomas from certain schools are flat-out denied, no "ifs, ands, or buts", in many states.

-Skip

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JO300

JO300 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I do not have to chech with any laws. you said in many states not all the states so still they will be doctors somewhere and they will be like you and me.
    Good Luck

6. Waiting4Ganong

Waiting4Ganong Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Not really. Students from the Luton Branch of St Chris are currently not recognized by either ECFMG (US) or GMC (UK). They are certainly not on course to become doctors like "you and me" and there is a good chance they will never become doctors unless they manage to transfer/re-apply elsewhere.

Just thought a reality check was needed here. Of course it would be terrible to be so desperate to even consider an operation like the "Luton Branch of St Chris" for your medical training and I don't think any of us can properly imagine what it must feel like to have that house of cards of delusion/self-justification come falling down so dramatically. We should certainly support these students in their efforts to transfer to legitimate medical schools (if accepted by meeting the conventional entry criteria) or other careers in healthcare, science or elsewhere.

At the end of the day though I can't believe that students who can't get in SGU, Ross and the like (given the low entry standards at these places) have what it takes to be the kind of doctors I'd want treating my family members.
    Medicine is very easy to do badly and very difficult indeed to do well. I know this sounds really harsh but I think it needs to be said.

7. Quash

Quash Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

was browsing the forums on a study break. why is this post in the caribbean forum, when the school is in the UK? I vote to move this thread to the appropriate sub-forum: UK & Ireland

8. Waiting4Ganong

Waiting4Ganong Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

We in the UK certainly don't want it either!!! Not a real British medical school. It is a squatter school currently banned by GMC. It was probably posted in Caribbean forum because it caters to mainly NA applicants.

I doubt the Africa forum (St Chris is *maybe* chartered by Senegal) would want to be associated with it either.

I once suggested a subforum be created for unaccredited and squatter schools but the mods wouldn't agree. The compromise we came up with is I created a thread in the general international forum which was supposed to be turned into a sticky so that threads to do with St Chris and similar could be merged with it. Maybe this thread could be moved there.

9. oldpro

oldpro MS IV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Looks like the schools sinking all by itself any way go to Value MD and read. :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...