What can you really do with a degree in History?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgmg1230

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a History major and have done all the pre-reqs for medical school. Besides applying to medical school, what other options are there for a History Major?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MPH programs usually don't care about your undergrad major, especially since you've taken lots of science classes. You could also look into History of Science programs and possibly work in Natural History or Science museums. You could also get a masters in journalism and write about health/science related topics. Honestly the possibilities are endless if you follow where your interests take you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a History major and have done all the pre-reqs for medical school. Besides applying to medical school, what other options are there for a History Major?

Thanks
You should consult your history department faculty instead of SDN.

Reactions: 4 users
Being a historian. :D
This is possible -- I have a friend who is a business historian. She is hired, essentially as a consultant, by large businesses that have her research historical issues pertaining to their business, including their own corporate history.

Collect unemployment.

Or yeah, any of the above.

So did you really not consider the career outcomes for your major?

Reactions: 1 users
Data analysis
Technical writing
Teaching
Law
Paralegal
Military
Politics
Insurance

Don't take my word for it, visit your school's career center.

Thanks

So did you really not consider the career outcomes for your major?
Not everyone thinks of college in a career manner for a variety of reasons. Some people are genuinely interested in furthering their education in a field of interest (I was a history major). Perhaps they originally wanted to be a historian in some capacity. Also, the combination of a history and science background makes for a quite fascinating perspective on medicine.
Other people mature later and do not consider the prospect of a career when they are 18 years old. I cannot speak for the OP, but I am completing a post-bacc program right now because medicine was not even a glimmer in my eye when I was an aimless, confused undergrad experiencing the same existential crises that many of us go through.

Law, college professor, along with being an author of a handful of books sprinkled in there.

lets be real, your best option here is gonna be med school.

but you could be an author! That sounds fun

There are doctoral programs in the history of science and the history of medicine. Some alumni of such programs end up as faculty in medical schools (medical humanities) which provides a title and a desk where one writes as well as the responsibility to teach a little bit. You write grants to travel to archives where you will have access to the materials you need for your research. You can also end up a history dept in a college or university. Or you can end up piecing together a bunch of teaching gigs through community colleges and, in essence, working out of the trunk of your car. The doctoral degree in the humanities is fraught with peril.

Not everyone thinks of college in a career manner for a variety of reasons. Some people are genuinely interested in furthering their education in a field of interest (I was a history major). Perhaps they originally wanted to be a historian in some capacity. Also, the combination of a history and science background makes for a quite fascinating perspective on medicine.
Other people mature later and do not consider the prospect of a career when they are 18 years old. I cannot speak for the OP, but I am completing a post-bacc program right now because medicine was not even a glimmer in my eye when I was an aimless, confused undergrad experiencing the same existential crises that many of us go through.

No offense but that's some crazy reasoning (though I know it's true), especially considering how expensive university is in the US. I used to be an advocate that everyone should attend college but over the last decade I've come to the conclusion that:
1. College isn't for everyone
2. Before taking on an investment (or "debt" if you're cynical) of college, high school students should really take a break and consider what they want as a career. And consider alternatives.

I get going to college for academic edification, but it's way too expensive of an endeavor to not have a plan in mind by the time one is a sophomore, especially for pre-meds, since not everyone is going to get into med school. That being said - congrats @sbart518 on finding your calling to medicine.

Last edited:
Direct entry NP programs, anesthesiology assistant, physician assistant, fry cook, sandwich artist, cashier- basically it's grad school or bust.

Thanks

Starbucks, Burger King among other fast food retailers. What amazes me is how people ask these questions after they've already pretty much completed the major. Truly speaks for the lack of foresight which is an important quality for a physician.

Reactions: 1 users
No offense but that's some crazy reasoning (though I know it's true), especially considering how expensive university is in the US. I used to be an advocate that everyone should attend college but over the last decade I've come to the conclusion that:
1. College isn't for everyone
2. Before taking on an investment (or "debt" if you're cynical) of college, high school students should really take a break and consider what they want as a career. And consider alternatives.

I get going to college for academic edification, but it's way too expensive of an endeavor to not have a plan in mind by the time one is a sophomore, especially for pre-meds, since not everyone is going to get into med school. That being said - congrats @sbart518 on finding your calling to medicine.

Yes, but that is logic that comes after many apply or, as I stated, after maturing a bit. I was not concerned with the cost of it and that perspective certainly comes from a privileged standpoint. I am aware of that, but generally speaking, people who come from households in which parents hold college and graduate degrees are heavily encouraged to attend college regardless of (lack of) self-awareness or career goals.

I think there is certainly a trend in the direction of gap years and alternative paths (such as trade schools) given the prohibitive cost of education, but I would safely say that the majority of people coming from academically oriented backgrounds will go straight into college.