What cases give you the most units per case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevoflurane

Ride
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming rapid turnover... T & A's? Cabg's?

I will likely be joining a gorup that is productivity based... sort of like an eat what you kill type of setup. I want to know if the schedule will be picked over by the older guys in the group when I get there.

I'm already a little skeptical because one of the partners is not going to take call. He won't make as much as the rest of the partners, but it's pretty darn close considering he goes home around 3:00pm every day and has weekends off. He has been with the group for 30 + years. I assume this is not unheard of.

What is an average blended unit value in the US? This place is around $50 a unit, so I think it's pretty good.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes that is a pretty good blended rate considering Medicare pays on average $20 per unit. Do expect the older, more experienced cats to "cherry pick" the high paying cases.

I'm right there at 20/unit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow 50/unit is a really nice blended unit... they must not do any Medicare. We are about 35/unit... which isn't bad I must say... Sounds like not a true eat what you kill (bc the units are blended- ie insurance blind) but as you said productivity based...

Endo, hand surgery, anyplace where you are rocking and rolling will get you some units... That 8 hour colectomy... Time units great, but startup units are few.....

you can make some serious money in a busy OB practive... I have a buddy who on call makes some serious bank but is working for it... apparently average number of epidural is somewhere 16-20 per night (plus c-sections)... apparently they have talked about more than one provider but then their billings decrease...

Wow 50/unit is a really nice blended unit... they must not do any Medicare. We are about 35/unit... which isn't bad I must say... Sounds like not a true eat what you kill (bc the units are blended- ie insurance blind) but as you said productivity based...

Endo, hand surgery, anyplace where you are rocking and rolling will get you some units... That 8 hour colectomy... Time units great, but startup units are few.....

you can make some serious money in a busy OB practive... I have a buddy who on call makes some serious bank but is working for it... apparently average number of epidural is somewhere 16-20 per night (plus c-sections)... apparently they have talked about more than one provider but then their billings decrease...

16-20 epidurals per night:eek: Wow. That's a busy busy night.

Assuming rapid turnover... T & A's? Cabg's?

I will likely be joining a gorup that is productivity based... sort of like an eat what you kill type of setup. I want to know if the schedule will be picked over by the older guys in the group when I get there.

I'm already a little skeptical because one of the partners is not going to take call. He won't make as much as the rest of the partners, but it's pretty darn close considering he goes home around 3:00pm every day and has weekends off. He has been with the group for 30 + years. I assume this is not unheard of.

What is an average blended unit value in the US? This place is around $50 a unit, so I think it's pretty good.

ask why that guy doesnt take call?

that is heaven. come in do the well paying cases and leave the nights and weekend non paying cases for the othe guys..

Which question do you really want to ask?

What is the most units per case? Liver transplant 30 base plus lines, TEE, etc.

I think what you're really asking is what will give me the most units per day. That depends entirely on how fast your surgeons are. A day of ear tubes and T&A with a fast surgeon can be very productive. Hearts have the potential if you've got a fast surgeon and if you've got a blended unit. If not blended, then not good because most are medicare.

ask why that guy doesnt take call?

that is heaven. come in do the well paying cases and leave the nights and weekend non paying cases for the othe guys..

-He has been there for 30+ years... so he has "earned it"