What changed in the board exam with those high pass rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctr1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was looking last year at the published data on the passing rate of board exams and recently the ABP updated the data to include the new passing rates. Comparing the new ones with the old ones, every program and I mean it by saying every program, was successful in rising the passing rate 15% to 20% !

I remember someone here mentioned something about ABP changing the structure of the exam which led to increase passing rate. What exactly changed?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It used to be that the top x% (I don't know the exact number) of people passed the boards each year. Now there is a set level and theoretically everyone could pass it one year if they all got enough questions right.

Reactions: 1 user
that's great for everyone! so there is no longer a bell curve? It is possible for everyone to pass? wow!

Members don't see this ad :)
It used to be that the top x% (I don't know the exact number) of people passed the boards each year. Now there is a set level and theoretically everyone could pass it one year if they all got enough questions right.

Thanks. Another question, is it only pass/fail or there is a score? Does the score matter for fellowship placement?

Thanks. Another question, is it only pass/fail or there is a score? Does the score matter for fellowship placement?

If you go straight from residency to fellowship, you take the boards after starting fellowship. So no, fellowships cannot use it at all. I have no idea if there is a score or just pass/fail. I think you do get some sort of graphic so you can see what areas you better and which area you did worse.

There is a score, but the only words people care about are pass and fail. They will report the score and the mean for all test takers (or at least the first time test takers).