doctr1

7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2011
Status
So I was looking last year at the published data on the passing rate of board exams and recently the ABP updated the data to include the new passing rates. Comparing the new ones with the old ones, every program and I mean it by saying every program, was successful in rising the passing rate 15% to 20% !

I remember someone here mentioned something about ABP changing the structure of the exam which led to increase passing rate. What exactly changed?

Last edited:

PTPoeny

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It used to be that the top x% (I don't know the exact number) of people passed the boards each year. Now there is a set level and theoretically everyone could pass it one year if they all got enough questions right.

Reactions: chairman

drkristy85

7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
that's great for everyone! so there is no longer a bell curve? It is possible for everyone to pass? wow!

OP
D

doctr1

7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2011
Status
It used to be that the top x% (I don't know the exact number) of people passed the boards each year. Now there is a set level and theoretically everyone could pass it one year if they all got enough questions right.
Thanks. Another question, is it only pass/fail or there is a score? Does the score matter for fellowship placement?

PTPoeny

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thanks. Another question, is it only pass/fail or there is a score? Does the score matter for fellowship placement?
If you go straight from residency to fellowship, you take the boards after starting fellowship. So no, fellowships cannot use it at all. I have no idea if there is a score or just pass/fail. I think you do get some sort of graphic so you can see what areas you better and which area you did worse.

BigRedBeta

Why am I in a handbasket?
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
There is a score, but the only words people care about are pass and fail. They will report the score and the mean for all test takers (or at least the first time test takers).