What class to take? Micro or Cell bio????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrSexyLatinDr

Single and looking =o)~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey , How is it going amigos/as??

OK, For next semester I got to choose of of these 2 classes, Microbiology or Introduction to cell Biology. Which class you guys think will help me better in the future ( MCAT)? Which one requires more work? None of these two are upper division. The Cell Bio class is designed for Lab technicians and microbiology a lot of bio majors and pre-nursing/pre-pa students take it. Any Advice???

Gracias,

Eduardo

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same question as you a while back, and found that Cell and Developmental Biology was more helpful for the MCAT than Microbiology.

It may be different for you because your school seems to have the Micro class geared towards health majors. I would also ask a counselor at your school, or at one of the 4 year schools in the area who are used to advising pre-meds.

I'd second that... Cell Bio was much more applicable for me. Have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
My vote is for Microbiology.

I believe cell bio will prepare you for the MCAT better, also you can study Micro, Cliff notes style, but you can't do that will cell as easily..

IMHO,

Mike

Now, I took the MCAT a couple of years ago, and was about 24 hours post-surgery at the time and full of pain killers, so I MAY not remember everything all that well...but I honestly don't remember there being anything to do with micro on the MCAT. What I DO remember was thinking "Geez, I can't believe PHYSIOLOGY isn't one of the 'requirements' for this test!" I didn't take micro in undergraduate school, and I am doing fine in that class in medical school. However, strictly talking MCAT, I would go for cell biology. At least you cover some metabolism and stuff that I DO remember being on the mcat. That, and aromatic compounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!