You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What classes are the first years taking?
Started by pressmom
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doctoring (stuff about communication, leadership, financial management)
Radiology
Clinical skills
Locomotor Anatomy
Cardiovascular and respiratory system structure/function
Cell and Tissue structure/function
physiological chemistry
ethics and law
behavior
epidemiology
oh and electives. I'm doing small animal radiology case discussions.
Radiology
Clinical skills
Locomotor Anatomy
Cardiovascular and respiratory system structure/function
Cell and Tissue structure/function
physiological chemistry
ethics and law
behavior
epidemiology
oh and electives. I'm doing small animal radiology case discussions.
Anatomy
Histology
Physiological Chemistry
Bacteriology
Nutrition
Histology
Physiological Chemistry
Bacteriology
Nutrition
tufts:
gross anatomy I (dog and cat)
developmental anatomy
physiological chemistry for 3/4 of the semester, then physiology for the rest of the year
histology
human-animal relationships
clinical skillz
PBL
adopt-a-vet (program where you spend at least a weekend working on a farm learning about farm animals in general or a new species if you have some experience)
gross anatomy I (dog and cat)
developmental anatomy
physiological chemistry for 3/4 of the semester, then physiology for the rest of the year
histology
human-animal relationships
clinical skillz
PBL
adopt-a-vet (program where you spend at least a weekend working on a farm learning about farm animals in general or a new species if you have some experience)
Gross Anatomy (dog/cat)
Microanatomy (histology)
Embryology
Cell physiology
Friday afternoons--in clinics with 4th years (but not many people go)
Veterinary orientation aka cool stuff to do in the veterinary field
doesn't sound like much, but boy...
Microanatomy (histology)
Embryology
Cell physiology
Friday afternoons--in clinics with 4th years (but not many people go)
Veterinary orientation aka cool stuff to do in the veterinary field
doesn't sound like much, but boy...
If you want a peek into the future, here's what 2nd years take this semester at the U of MN:
-Gross pathology
-Epidemilogy
-Bacteriology
-Pharmacology
-Parasitology
-Professional Skills
-Clinical Skills
-Swine Core
.. and I'm taking an elective course in zoo animal medicine.
-Gross pathology
-Epidemilogy
-Bacteriology
-Pharmacology
-Parasitology
-Professional Skills
-Clinical Skills
-Swine Core
.. and I'm taking an elective course in zoo animal medicine.
At Mizzou, for the first 2 blocks (first full semester), we got:
Anatomy (dog and cat)
Histology
Cell Biology (AKA: lots of biochemistry)
Physiology
I'm taking this optional class on practice management if you want have your own practice and whatnot.
For 3rd block (second semester):
Anatomy (horse and ox)
Histology
Physiology
Nutrition
For 4th block (second semester):
Anatomy (more horse and ox)
Endocrine & Reproductive Physiology
Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Immunology
For 5th block (summer semester):
Pathology
Bacteriology
Immunology
Informatics
Genomics
Anatomy (dog and cat)
Histology
Cell Biology (AKA: lots of biochemistry)
Physiology
I'm taking this optional class on practice management if you want have your own practice and whatnot.
For 3rd block (second semester):
Anatomy (horse and ox)
Histology
Physiology
Nutrition
For 4th block (second semester):
Anatomy (more horse and ox)
Endocrine & Reproductive Physiology
Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Immunology
For 5th block (summer semester):
Pathology
Bacteriology
Immunology
Informatics
Genomics
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, not quite. We have a 6 week summer. The only problem is that by May, I'm gonna be feeling like it's quitting time. But class for another 8 weeks. Boo...but we get more clinical time that way. Nearly 2 full academic years instead of the usual 1 or 1.5, which is cool.
i've read a lot of this on the individual schools' webpages, but man, reading it from you guys really puts it into perspective 😱
Here's semester one classes for CSU:
Functional Anatomy (Dog/Horse along with comparative anatomy of other species)(this class takes up the largest amount of our credit hours)
Histology/Physiology
Principles of Diagnostic Imaging
Veterinary Immunology
Perspectives in Veterinary Medicine
I cant believe we are almost halfway through the semester... only 3.75 years to go!!!
Functional Anatomy (Dog/Horse along with comparative anatomy of other species)(this class takes up the largest amount of our credit hours)
Histology/Physiology
Principles of Diagnostic Imaging
Veterinary Immunology
Perspectives in Veterinary Medicine
I cant believe we are almost halfway through the semester... only 3.75 years to go!!!
So do you basically go to classes from 8-5, study from 5-2am, then wake up and do it all over again, hoping that you can retain all that information?
I think I would be dead by now if I even attempted it!
My schedule is more like 8-5 class, although some days we start later, some days end earlier, and sometimes there are long lunch stretches.
Then usually come home, find some dinner, hit the gym, hang out with the boyfriend & dog for a while, or attend a club meeting, then usually read & study for 1.5-3 hours. During "exam crunches" as I'm learning to call them, when there seems to be an over-abundance of exams in just a few days or weeks, I have spent entire weekends studying straight though, but I almost always try to go to bed by midnight or I'm useless.
I know some people get the "if you're not studying 4-5 hours every single weeknight then you're not going to get through vet school" when they first start, but I think that's a huge exaggeration!
Here at UTK, we're out out of class by 3:00 or 3:30 almost everyday. I usually spend about 4 hours studying a day (more if there is an exam coming up) and play with my dogs, hang out with friends and watch one TV show a day. I almost always go to bed before 11:30. It would KILL me to get less sleep. It really isn't so bad. The time before the first exam is rough because you're not used to having to study that much, but once things get rolling you realize what you have to do and you just do it.
i'm going to wait until i get grades back on my first two tests, but i laughed out loud at this. no freakin' way.So do you basically go to classes from 8-5, study from 5-2am, then wake up and do it all over again, hoping that you can retain all that information?
word. there are definitely some students that spend the majority of their weekends in the library, and then there are some students that go out every night the weekend before the exam. to each their own.how much you study depends on how obsessed you are about your grades. i only study for an hour or two at night and i'm getting by fine. but i know kids that do a lot more than that because they want the perfect grade.
So do you basically go to classes from 8-5, study from 5-2am, then wake up and do it all over again, hoping that you can retain all that information?
class 9-5 most days. i study 2-3 hrs a night. relax, then bed by 11-1130. havent gotten any grades back so we'll know soon enough if its working.
B
Beagingese
VMRCVM:
Anatomy
Biochemistry
Domestication (elective)
Embryology (elective)
Histology
Immunology
Large Animal Husbandry
Physiology
Professional Foundations (p/f)
I usually have class 8-12, lab 1-3 three days a week, lab 1-5 once a week (double labs are no fun). Fridays we're usually out at noon and in September we had several Fridays off for football games. Then I go home, relax for a bit and study from 6 or 7 to 11. I'm not one of those looking for perfect grades, it just takes me a while to retain stuff. Also, I do NOOOOO work on Sundays so I fit all my work in on weekday nights and Saturdays. It's rough sometimes...10 classes, 20 credits.
Anatomy
Biochemistry
Domestication (elective)
Embryology (elective)
Histology
Immunology
Large Animal Husbandry
Physiology
Professional Foundations (p/f)
I usually have class 8-12, lab 1-3 three days a week, lab 1-5 once a week (double labs are no fun). Fridays we're usually out at noon and in September we had several Fridays off for football games. Then I go home, relax for a bit and study from 6 or 7 to 11. I'm not one of those looking for perfect grades, it just takes me a while to retain stuff. Also, I do NOOOOO work on Sundays so I fit all my work in on weekday nights and Saturdays. It's rough sometimes...10 classes, 20 credits.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 13
- Views
- 5K