What classify as a science class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dganaden

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of classes classify as a science class. I know the typical classes do. (Chem,Bio,Physics) But I am wondering what else would help my GPA.

Would my EMT class count as a science credit??

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2005instructionbook.pdf

Check out page 28 or so onward. Of course this is AMCAS but I think the only difference you'll find with the osteo schools is that psych classes are considered part of the science GPA (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and mathematics courses are NOT.

psych classes are considered non-science for AACOMAS

This is from the AACOMAS website:
"The Science category would include all courses with subjects of Biology, Organic, Biochemistry, Other Science, Physics, and Inorganic Chemistry. Non-science would include courses with subjects of Math, English, Behavioral Sciences, and Non-science."

https://aacomas.aacom.org/

Members don't see this ad :)
calichik said:
psych classes are considered non-science for AACOMAS

This is from the AACOMAS website:
"The Science category would include all courses with subjects of Biology, Organic, Biochemistry, Other Science, Physics, and Inorganic Chemistry. Non-science would include courses with subjects of Math, English, Behavioral Sciences, and Non-science."

https://aacomas.aacom.org/

Well that just stinks. I am thinking that my EMT class is not going to count either. I wonder if any my computer classes will count as a science degree.

dganaden said:
Well that just stinks. I am thinking that my EMT class is not going to count either. I wonder if any my computer classes will count as a science degree.

Your EMT Class may count as other science if the EMT course was offered through your college. If you took a course offered outside of your college, you need to contact your college advisor and ask them if they will accept the EMT class as an independent study in biology. Then, the independent study biology credits will be counted towards AACOMAS total biology credits. I'm not sure of this route, but it is an idea that is simple to try. Good luck!

DocGina said:
Your EMT Class may count as other science if the EMT course was offered through your college. If you took a course offered outside of your college, you need to contact your college advisor and ask them if they will accept the EMT class as an independent study in biology. Then, the independent study biology credits will be counted towards AACOMAS total biology credits. I'm not sure of this route, but it is an idea that is simple to try. Good luck!

Would I have to call AACOMAS about the class and verify since I did take it at a local college for credits? I hope I can use it, it was an 8hr class that I got an A in. That will really help my gpa.

dganaden said:
What kind of classes classify as a science class. I know the typical classes do. (Chem,Bio,Physics) But I am wondering what else would help my GPA.

Would my EMT class count as a science credit??

No, EMT doesnt not count.

Only Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math.