What Constitutes a "Science" Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that redhead

10+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
What qualifies as a science course? I'm wondering specifically about the plant science courses I'm taking this semester, one of which is a 400 level. Do you think this would count as an "upper level science course"? All of the classes I'm taking this semester have labs associated with them, but I don't necessarily think that's the defining factor. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes a plant course is a science course. Usually it counts for a bio prereq. Even better if it includes a lab

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you asking what counts as a science course for vet school admissions? Because if that's the case it depends on the school. Although, most of the time Natural Science and Mathematics courses count.

As for the course you're talking about, I would say with high certainty that it does.

A computer science course would most likely count if its something like bioinformatics. Otherwise, it probably wont count for the typical science pre req. You might be able to use it as a math pre req though depending on the class. And like someone else said...all depends on the school. Some have more specific science requirements than others

I'd look into it. I wasn't allowed to use computer science as a math pre-req.

I also wasn't allowed to use my Java course as math or science (I listed it as "other" on VMCAS), but it didn't perturb me too much, since I took it for fun more than anything else :p

It definitely depends on the school. I met with an admissions counselor at UGA, and they have an odd list of classes that they have reviewed that count as upper level biology. For example, herpetology counts, but ornithology doesn't. They have also decided that ecology courses (even upper level) don't count.

Being a natural science major myself, I think some of the schools don't give enough credit to classes like dendrology and plant science. These classes are often associated with long labs and can be quite difficult.

Being a natural science major myself, I think some of the schools don't give enough credit to classes like dendrology and plant science. These classes are often associated with long labs and can be quite difficult.

It makes no sense to me that an upper level course is defined "any course that will be relevant to vet school". So 400 level neurobiology with no lab (which is cross listed as a psych, which makes it easier for some reason) it great, but 400 level insect phylogenetics and systematics with lab looks awful?

Kinda glad I don't have to worry about this bull. I need 4 courses: any micro with lab, any genetics with no lab, and any two cell or vertebrate anatomy and physiology courses :hardy: