What core textbooks would you reccomend to prepare for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WYNN86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What text books would you recommend getting in order to prepare a bit for med school? I'd like to just start reading up and want a couple of staple books to get me started. What would you recomend? What are the core texts you'll be using during your first year?

Anyone else doing this too? Hows it going? If you've done it and are now in med school, did it help or not really?

Members don't see this ad.

What text books would you recommend getting in order to prepare a bit for med school? I'd like to just start reading up and want a couple of staple books to get me started. What would you recomend? What are the core texts you'll be using during your first year?

Anyone else doing this too? Hows it going? If you've done it and are now in med school, did it help or not really?

There is no good reason to prepare for med school -- med school teaches you all you need to know and then some, and you only burn yourself out if you start in on it early. And you won't know the focus or depth anyhow so it will be largely wasted effort. And you won't use text books in med school anyhow. You generally will use a note-set -- a huge, internally prepared tome of notes for the classes, and lecture slides as your primary resources, and then probably some board review type book as your secondary resource. Text books end with college. Honestly the best thing you can do before med school is relax and enjoy your last really free summer. Because if you show up relaxed and refreshed that is ten times more useful than anything you can teach yourself.

Law2Doc. Thanks! I think I'm gonna take your advice!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

There is no good reason to prepare for med school -- med school teaches you all you need to know and then some, and you only burn yourself out if you start in on it early. And you won't know the focus or depth anyhow so it will be largely wasted effort. And you won't use text books in med school anyhow. You generally will use a note-set -- a huge, internally prepared tome of notes for the classes, and lecture slides as your primary resources, and then probably some board review type book as your secondary resource. Text books end with college. Honestly the best thing you can do before med school is relax and enjoy your last really free summer. Because if you show up relaxed and refreshed that is ten times more useful than anything you can teach yourself.

Seconded. The best thing you can do to "prepare" for medical school is to make sure you start off excited, relaxed, and with a fresh mind. All those go away pretty quickly.

Off the top of my head. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Amazing Adventues of Kavalier and Clay. Go have fun, read literature. Cook, relax, have fun this summer