what courses considered to be science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

askadds

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that the bios, chemistry, and physics are all science courses but does ADEA consider other sciences like psychology and sociology in calculating your science GPA? is there any list of classes out there that could give me some insight on this?

Members don't see this ad.

nraouf said:
I understand that the bios, chemistry, and physics are all science courses but does ADEA consider other sciences like psychology and sociology in calculating your science GPA? is there any list of classes out there that could give me some insight on this?

from my understanding psychology and sociology are social science classes and are not considered when determining your science gpa.

math classes, however, are used for calculating science gpa. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

i've heard sociology and psychology do get counted. Its confusing as hell. Who knows the friggin correct answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
soooo... do the applicants themselves put what courses they think are science during the actual aadsas application?? thanks.

marinojones said:
soooo... do the applicants themselves put what courses they think are science during the actual aadsas application?? thanks.

Yes..but I remember I put 1 course down as a science one but when they calculated my GPA's they themselves changed it to a non-science..so you can't cheat by making basketweaving 101 count in your science gpa.

lol, come on!!! someone here knows the right answer about this question... If maths are used in calculating SciGPA then it just went up for me :D So the basic question is this: Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math for the science GPA?? or are there any other classes that can be added, like sociology and nutrition??

bump...

golfmontpoker said:
lol, come on!!! someone here knows the right answer about this question... If maths are used in calculating SciGPA then it just went up for me :D So the basic question is this: Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math for the science GPA?? or are there any other classes that can be added, like sociology and nutrition??

other than those basic science courses, pretty much all engineering courses count as sciences. of 94 credits listed in my AADSAS file, i have 82 science credits

If you snoop around on the AADSAS website, you can find a huge listing of what categories specific classes fall under. I can't remember exactly where it is, but try finding that. Good luck :)

The question everyone has I beleive is does sociology, psychology and anthropology as well as philosophy get counted in the science gpa?

teefRcool said:
The question everyone has I beleive is does sociology, psychology and anthropology as well as philosophy get counted in the science gpa?

answer is no

i called aadsas right now and they said yes. WTF. I got a manager even their all like anything just about anything with ology in the end gets counted into science. Including those listed. Whatever i guess i'll just find out when they do the GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
teefRcool said:
i called aadsas right now and they said yes. WTF. I got a manager even their all like anything just about anything with ology in the end gets counted into science. Including those listed. Whatever i guess i'll just find out when they do the GPA.

ok... well some people are saying no and you just called and they said anything with -ology in the name is counted... i wish those people at aadsas would be more clear. if psychology classes count, then i guess that would definately boost up my GPA... :thumbup:

From my understanding, those classes DO NOT count. Yes, they are sciences, but they are social sciences, which are only included in the cum GPA. Do a search because someone posted a list of classes counted in the sci GPA.

I think the reason they broke down gpa into BCP (biology, chemistry, physics) which includes genetics, evolution, biochemistry, any type of physics etc to include the required courses. and then Science gpa to be a little more broader, so that in science they could include classes such as sociology and psychology, microbiology, biopsychology, botany, math all that BS. Then they have non science gpa, which is stuff like music, art, physical ed, foreign language, english etc.

teefRcool said:
I think the reason they broke down gpa into BCP (biology, chemistry, physics) which includes genetics, evolution, biochemistry, any type of physics etc to include the required courses. and then Science gpa to be a little more broader, so that in science they could include classes such as sociology and psychology, microbiology, biopsychology, botany, math all that BS. Then they have non science gpa, which is stuff like music, art, physical ed, foreign language, english etc.

That's true..but socioloy,psychology and courses like that do NOT count in the science gpa. It's common sense if you think about it..why should I be struggling in advanced exercise science courses right now when I could just take some blowoff sociology course and have that count in the science gpa.
Math,botany,and biology or physiology related courses do count..but not courses like Sociology 104 : Juvenile Deliquency In Our Society (just as an example)

Is sex-ed a science?? :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry couldn't resist :smuggrin:

BUMP BUMP!!

Need an answer to this question!! Anyone from Last cycle KNOW???
FROM MY UNDERSTANDING:
SCIENCE: BCP:
ALL BIOLOGY (INCLUDING Anatomy? Physiology?)
ALL CHEMISTRY
ALL PHYSICS

OTHER SCIENCE:
MATH
PSYCHOLOGY
SOCIOLOGY
ASTRONOMY
ANTHROPOLOGY
NUTRITION

NON SCIENCE:
Music
POLITICAL SCIENCE
ECONOMICS
.....etc...

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM?!?!?! THANKS!

wow..this really is confusing.

I though B C P was STRICTLY BIOLOGY, chem and phys.

So is microbiology or immunology categorized as BIOLOGY for the BCP gpa???

Driller23 said:
wow..this really is confusing.

I though B C P was STRICTLY BIOLOGY, chem and phys.

So is microbiology or immunology categorized as BIOLOGY for the BCP gpa???

Whoa!
I think you are RIGHT!! Good call :thumbup: !
Univeresity of Washington :
http://www.dental.washington.edu/education/ddsadmissions/faq.htm#20

UW considers other Bio courses but it says that Aadsas does not! It seems that it is strictly Bio G CHem, Physics and Ochem!! If someone else can confirm this I would appreciate it!!!

This is so confusing...
I thought biochem counted for sure :eek:
It is bio and chem at the same time!

nraouf said:
BCP Courses (Biology, Chemistry and Physics Courses)
Examples: Anatomy
Biology
Biochemistry
Biophysics
Botany
Chemistry
Genetics
Medicine
Microbiology
Neuroscience
Pathology
Pharmacology
Pharmacy
Physics
Physiology
Zoology

Other Science Courses (Other science courses that do not fall under the categories of Biology, Chemistry or Physics)

Examples: Agriculture
Animal Sciences
Astronomy
Clinical Sciences
Nutrition
Engineering
Health Technology
Geology
Kinesiology
Mathematics
Physical Sciences
Plant Sciences
Sports Sciences

Non-Science Courses (Humanities, Social Sciences, Health Services and miscellaneous courses)

Examples: Anthropology
Art
Behavioral Sciences
Business
Communications
Dental Hygiene
Economics
Education
English
Foreign Languages
Forensic Sciences
History
Humanities
Music
Physical Education
Political Science
Psychology
Public Affairs/Administration
Public Health
Social Sciences
Sociology
Social Work
Speech
Sports Administration

asalazar said:
BCP Courses (Biology, Chemistry and Physics Courses)
Examples: Anatomy
Biology
Biochemistry
Biophysics
Botany
Chemistry
Genetics
Medicine
Microbiology
Neuroscience
Pathology
Pharmacology
Pharmacy
Physics
Physiology
Zoology

Other Science Courses (Other science courses that do not fall under the categories of Biology, Chemistry or Physics)

Examples: Agriculture
Animal Sciences
Astronomy
Clinical Sciences
Nutrition
Engineering
Health Technology
Geology
Kinesiology
Mathematics
Physical Sciences
Plant Sciences
Sports Sciences

Non-Science Courses (Humanities, Social Sciences, Health Services and miscellaneous courses)

Examples: Anthropology
Art
Behavioral Sciences
Business
Communications
Dental Hygiene
Economics
Education
English
Foreign Languages
Forensic Sciences
History