what DAT score would I need to become competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know what DAT score I would need to be called competitive from people in SDN.

I have 3.839 GPA, and 4.0 science GPA in community college (pre-requisites, 56 credits)
3.67 GPA, and 3.66 science GPA in 4 yr institution (upper levels, about 74 cerdits).

I took cell, animal, plant, micro, ecology, and genetics as a bio major requirement,
and then general bio 1,2, vaccine, human phys, biochem, intro to molecular genetics for bio electives
and of course I took physics 1,2,genchem1,2, and ochem1,2 like everyone else.
and I am about to graduate with bachelor's degree in 2 weeks and then I got 5 months to do whatever I need to do (studying for dat, shadowing...).

I have 4 months of research experience,
60+ volunteer hrs in public library,
10+ (more to go) shadowing hrs,

I am planning to get 2 science, 1 non science, 1 dentist, and 1 advisor letter of recommendations.

I am in chess, anime, predental society, Golden key international honour society (but I didn't really do much in any of these)

I was always in dean's list, presidential scholar.

I think that's about it.

How is my GPA and what DAT score would I need with my information?
and what do you think is my weakness and how should I overcome it in next 5 months before the application?

Members don't see this ad.

20 or above would be ideal

One flaw I see is the lack of dental hours try to have over 100 by the time you apply

Also be able to list academically productive things that you have done in your time off such as working as an assistant or research or..... They don't want to hear that you took 5 months off (+ however much time they take to review your app + time till matriculation) just sitting around and waiting for them.

Also I think the cap for letters of rec through AADSAS is four so make sure you letter service will send them directly to the school if you want to send more than that.

With your gpa, I would expect at least 20+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see. Three years of scanning SDN and you still don't know the fundamentals of ds admission?

yup. i agree. you should know after being on SDN for 3 years! anywho, definitely you should get a 20 across the board on the DATs for the grades you got, but i guess its okay to get 19's. Not that your application is weak, but its expected with those grades. You need to do some major volunteering and dental shadowing though IMO. Schools want to know you are applying b/c you want to get into dental school and want to help others.

Just try to get as high as you can. Seriously aim for a 30 :D

People who say get 20's (90th percentile in most subjects) are being a little ridiculous imo. If your goal is to get into dental school (not any specific dental school mind you), then averaging a 19 should be fine with your GPA. I got scores ranging from 17-21, with an AA of 18 and TS of 19, 3.3 GPA (3.0 Science) and I got in. My only caution sign for you is a lack of long-term extracurriculars where you actually did anything.

That said, don't aim for 19, just know that if you get that score, you will probably get interviews somewhere. Then you can impress them more at that time and seal the deal.

Get a damn 30, the competition is getting out of control, look at the DAT subforum and see for yourself

Get the best DAT score that you are capable of getting. In other words, just do your best. It's that simple.

like what everyone else said, just do your best. the better you do, the better the chances. It's great that Ranelar got in with his statistics, but remember its not like it is a walk in the park. Me, myself, honestly will tell you that my statistics aren't the greatest, my DAT isn't the greatest, but I got in. It all depends on what else you offer to schools other than those scores. If you have high grades and high DAT, then it covers for lacking extracurriculars. But people like me who lacked in the academic area, did A LOT of volunteering and dental service work. I got rejected by MANY schools and I will also say that I am lucky to get in. Save yourself from a heart attack and just try as hard as you did in school. It bit me in the ass but luckily I made it through alive.

Thank you everyone for giving me an advice.

Just like you guys suggested, I will try my best to get above 20+ on DAT, and increase shadowing and volunteering hours.

Is there anything else that you guys think I should do?

How much do the admission officers care about extracurricular activities? I am in the 4 clubs that I listed above but do you think they care about quantities of clubs that I am in or what I do in there? If quantity matters, how many should I take?

How much do the admission officers care about extracurricular activities? I am in the 4 clubs that I listed above but do you think they care about quantities of clubs that I am in or what I do in there? If quantity matters, how many should I take?

On the AADSAS app you basically list your extracurriculars with weekly hours and a "brief description", so quantity looks nice and pretty there, but in many secondary apps they ask you to go into detail, at which point I assume they want to know the quality of your participation. I think extracurriculars played a big role in how I got in.

Thank you everyone for giving me an advice.

Just like you guys suggested, I will try my best to get above 20+ on DAT, and increase shadowing and volunteering hours.

Why wouldn't you try to get above a 20+? The goal of the DAT is to get as high as possible.

Get a 20 and you'll get several interviews... A 19 might be ok as well.

I went to a CC, with a 3.82 gpa, went to a great uni, 3.4 gpa. Dat 20 AA, 21 ts 18 PA.

Anything is possible. You just need to make it clear you want to be a dentist and you know what it takes. Be sincere and genuine and you will have no problems.