What did you do with your old white coat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visioneer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i would have posted this in the "everything" thread only to realize it doesn't seem to exist anymore...

i have two old white coats from my internship (not the same hospital where i am doing my residency) that have my name and hospital logo embroidered into it. the original hospital won't take them back. i can't wear it at the new hospital. i don't want to donate it (to avoid it being used maliciously) and yet the packrat in me cannot throw it away. i have been holding onto them for years!

anyone have any creative uses for old white coats that i could do on a resident's time and budget?

Members don't see this ad.

Donate it to some doctor wannabes like these ==>

http://www.umm.edu/shocktrauma/clinical_services/nurse_practitioner_trauma_specialty_group.htm

In all seriousness, I cut mine up into rags which I used to wash my car. My med student coat I gave to my puppy to potty train. That gave me particular satisfaction for some reason.

So how do you make a living now that you left clinical medicine?

I looked through your blog, but didn't see anything about what you are doing now.

Posts like yours make me apprehensive about going into medicine ! :eek:

I only got one white coat during residency, so I think it disintegrated in my last month of residency.

Right before med school graduation a bunch of us got together and had a white coat paintball afternoon where we just ran around in our short coats destroying them. And then burned them. Very satisfying.

Are they long white coats?

I'm sure there is a nurse manager who would love to have them at your hospital.