what did you rank your current program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LotaPower

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know EM has a 90 somthing % match rate, but I was wondering if some of the residents out there could let us know where their current program was on their match list? was it your # 1 choice? #3? # 5? #27?

Members don't see this ad.

LotaPower said:
I know EM has a 90 somthing % match rate, but I was wondering if some of the residents out there could let us know where their current program was on their match list? was it your # 1 choice? #3? # 5? #27?

Mine was in my top 3, which is where over 82% of you will match this year...

LotaPower said:
Great question! I always asked this when I was on interviews. Not sure how it would affect my ROL but nonetheless always asked it.

It was #1 for me and the vast majority of our residents. I think 75% of us ranked it #1.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
#1. ditto for the majority of our residents.

All but one or two interns ranked it #1, as did I.

#1 - which is true of most of my class :D

*edit* I'm at Drexel... Loved the people, great clinical education with strong u/s, large program, multiple clinical sites with balanced community and academic exposure, NO scutty floor months, awesome critical care experience, and its where my gut said to go...

Along with all others I know of in my class.

I ranked my program #1. Out of the all the residents in my class, I only know of 1 that did not rank us 1st, he happens to be one of the happiest residents. He's glad he matched here, and would put this place first if he had to do it over again.

I've heard that many people that don't get their first choice tend to be happier in the long run. I guess there's not as many expectations for the program to live up too.

It would be most helpful to the applicants to provide two pieces of info:

1. How you ranked the program at which you matched
2. Where you are. :)

For me: I was fortunate to match my #1 choice, UAB

Ben

Wow! I never realized that so many people match so highly. Maybe we have a skewed sample here of some very competitive applicants!? Otherwise, very good to hear that so many people did so well! :)

Numero Uno Baby!!

EMApplicant - this does not represent a skewed sample of applicants. Welcome to Emergency Medicine! EM is not like Internal Medicine (which publishes lists of the BEST programs). In IM, most people want to make themselves competitive for fellowships. An IM applicant MUST rank UCLA/UCSF > New Mexico > Martin Luther King > Buttersworth Community Hospital, even if Buttersworth is his fave (not knocking Buttersworth....I don't even think it exists). He needs to make himself as competitive as possible for Cards, GI.

In EM, there is so much parody amongst programs. One man's trash is another man's treasure. The job market is still very good and fellowships are not exceedingly competitive (please don't base your ranking on what place you think will get you the best fellowship....you've been hanging out with the IM fleas too long). As a result, everyone smiles on match day.

In my med school class, 10 of us applied to EM. We all interviewed at the same programs and we all worried that there wouldn't be enough room for all of us. In March, before Match Day, we all went out for beers and compared our rank lists. They couldn't have been more different. Programs I ranked last, others ranked first. We all were looking for very different things.

All ten of us matched. Eight of us got our first choice.

The End.

Syd Barret
PGY-2 EM
Christ on da souf side Chi-town style

That was a beautiful story Syd, I've got tears in my eyes - sniff -

Syd Barrett said:
In EM, there is so much parody amongst programs. One man's trash is

I think you mean "parity"... nor maybe not... :laugh:

Maybe parody is the word when we are trying to compare programs!

Parody = Something so bad as to be equivalent to intentional mockery; a travesty / The practice of reworking an already established composition, especially the incorporation into the Mass of material borrowed from other works, such as motets or madrigals

Parity = Equality, as in amount, status, or value

Whatever, you heard me.

Ali G : "So, Syd, you means that da blokes at dese programs be mockin' one another wif silly concerts, or parody, all da time?"

"That was a beautiful story Syd, I've got tears in my eyes - sniff -" - Wilco

Wilco, my friend, this could be you. Less than two months away. I'm pulling for you. Godspeed.

Syd
PGY-2 Bad MoFo on da souf side
Advocate Christ Medical Center