B

BentalScholar

Now they stress about applying early, but what if the DAT was not taken yet? I take my DAT in September and my application have been mailed out already. I honestly see no difference in me applying early when my file is not complete. Please explain to me why if I am wrong.

MrZ123

DAT: AA/TS/PAT 21/22/21
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Dentist
I would say the biggest difference is the time it takes for the application to be sent out. If you send it out early, before you take the DAT, then by the time you take the DAT and send your scores, your application will already be at the schools ready to be looked at.

If you wait and send the application after you take the DAT, it will take 4-8 weeks for processing through AADSAS and that is a long time.

Thus submitting early before you take the DAT means your application gets looked at a month or two earlier, which is always a good thing considering the earlier they look, the better chance you have of getting in.

Hope that helps.

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Status
BentalScholar said:
Now they stress about applying early, but what if the DAT was not taken yet? I take my DAT in September and my application have been mailed out already. I honestly see no difference in me applying early when my file is not complete. Please explain to me why if I am wrong.
There are numerous advantages in applying early, and I won't go into all of them here. Your file will not be complete until schools have received all materials, including your DAT scores. In your case the advantage to having your application already processed and mailed out is turn-around time: it takes AADSAS a lot longer to process your application than it is for schools to receive your DAT scores. Had you submitted your application the same time you will take the DAT in September it would most likely reach adcoms by late October or into November (AADSAS is typically swamped with applications this time of year) - and by then almost all schools will be in the midst of their application process and lists of accepted applicants will be compiled in preparation for the December 1st mailing.

About the Ads

Cablindian

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Dentist
APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE!! I am reapplying to dental school, mostly because I applied way too late. My advice is: get the AADSAS sent ASAP. Like the previous ppl have said, it takes 6-8 weeks for the schools to process the AADSAS app. Think about it.. if you take the DAT in September and wait to submit AADSAS at that same time, your application may not get processed until November! By that time, schools are well into the interviewing phase of the process. Don't lose out on a seat because you applied late.

Good luck!

OP
B

BentalScholar

Cablindian said:
APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE!! I am reapplying to dental school, mostly because I applied way too late. My advice is: get the AADSAS sent ASAP. Like the previous ppl have said, it takes 6-8 weeks for the schools to process the AADSAS app. Think about it.. if you take the DAT in September and wait to submit AADSAS at that same time, your application may not get processed until November! By that time, schools are well into the interviewing phase of the process. Don't lose out on a seat because you applied late.

Good luck!
Forgive me but that was not my question; I might have not made it clear. What i mean to ask is does it make a difference if they recieve my application mail out before they recieved my DAT scores or if they recieved everything together at the same time some time in August instead of the appl in July and the DAT scores in August. I hope it is clearer now. I mean either way they will wait till they see my DAT score to offer me an interview.

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dentist
there is some difference. Some schools will ask you to send them a secondary even before they see your scores, just as soon as they get your printout or know you are applying. You can get secondaries out of the way so that as soon as they get your DAT scores in sept/october, you have a completed file with the secondaries and application fees already paid up.

Other than that, no, they won't be calling you for interviews or be looking closely at you as an applicant until they get the DAT scores...that's why people say to take the DAT early in the application cycle. What's early? depends on who here you ask.

About the Ads