What do EM-PAs average per hour?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshmir

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard about the annual averages....

I know family practice--boarded MDs make about $80/hr, EM-boarded MDs make about $150-200/hr...

Are EM-PA positions out there for the taking? As in, can anyone get a rural position somewhere? Can this be used as a stepping-stone for a postion in an urban ED?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know when I negotiated for a possible EM position a few years ago, I was going to start (with no EM background, just CV Surg) at $45/hr with a raise to $50/hr after 3-months.

That was in a relatively small hospital in South Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by governator
$50 x 40hr/wk x 50 wks/yr

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$= mondo molla $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Originally posted by NRAI2001
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$= mondo molla $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, 75k after taxes is sweet.

Originally posted by NRAI2001
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$= mondo molla $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

petty cash.

I make EXCELLENT money in a small ED, but you need to decide if it is for you or not. I work in a very small hospital with a 7 bed ED and 2 nurses. No allied health staff and no specialties except for one general surgeon in town. It is almost entirely staffed by mid-levels except for the time one of our supervising docs comes in to fulfill his supervisory requirements (which usually consists of us sitting down for coffee and talking about the weather), or we call them in for something (very rare). They are very good about making themselves available over the phone, so you do have someone to rely on, but you can't be calling them for every patient.

We are also about 80 minutes by ground away from the nearest tertiary care facility, and that's driving like mad. If it is something bad (we have a lot of major traffic accidents), they bring them here for me to stabilize and we have the bird come in to take them.

I would definitely recommend previous experience in Emergency Medicine in some capacity. I was a Paramedic for several years before I went back to school, so EM seemed totally natural for me. If you like being able to really practice as an EM PA, you would love a rural ED. If your vision of Emergency Medicine involves staffing a fast track area, I would suggest you move on.

DITTO TO ABOVE...
I work solo a few days(nights actually) a month and see everything that comes in the door; trauma, mi's, codes, major ortho, etc...
it's a great experience but not for the weak of heart. I was also a medic for a number of years in a busy system before pa school and did a ms level em program after graduation. the em pa's in my group make between 110-200k/yr depending on the # of nights/weekends/holidays/solo shifts/overtime shifts.
em pay for pa's is in the top 3 for all pa's:
em/surgery/ortho

Last edited by a moderator:
How many years of training is required for a PA?

2-3 years after a 4 yr undergrad. there are shorter a.s. and certificate level programs but they are being phased out in favor of an m.s. level degree. the better pa programs want people to have prior professional medical experience( rn/paramedic/resp. therapist, etc for a few years). see www.aapa.org for info on the pa profession and www.appap.org for info on optional post grad residencies.

3 yrs is almost as long as med school. What advantages are there to being a PA over a physician?

1.no required residency.
2.ability to change fields at will. a pa can work surgery 1 year and peds the next, etc.
3. lower debt load of 2-3 yr degree vs 4
4. malpractice covered by employer
5. faster growth rate of profession. the pa field(# of jobs) is expected to grow 50% in the next decade. this makes it the 3rd fastest growing field overall(see prior thread about growth rate)
6. no office overhead
I"m sure there are others but that is just off the top of my head.

Originally posted by emedpa
1.no required residency.
2.ability to change fields at will. a pa can work surgery 1 year and peds the next, etc.
3. lower debt load of 2-3 yr degree vs 4
4. malpractice covered by employer
5. faster growth rate of profession. the pa field(# of jobs) is expected to grow 50% in the next decade. this makes it the 3rd fastest growing field overall(see prior thread about growth rate)
6. no office overhead
I"m sure there are others but that is just off the top of my head.

Yea those are great points. I think reasons 2 and 4 are the greatest points.

if you like # 2 keep in mind that a pa can have multiple jobs in different fields at the same time. a friend of mine works full time in urology and part time in the er plus working a shift a month at a free clinic doing fp/peds.
nra- are you still at ucb? I am a ucsc alum. I love central/northern california....

emedpa said:
if you like # 2 keep in mind that a pa can have multiple jobs in different fields at the same time. a friend of mine works full time in urology and part time in the er plus working a shift a month at a free clinic doing fp/peds.
nra- are you still at ucb? I am a ucsc alum. I love central/northern california....

Yea I am a third year here at UCB, berkeley is an interesting place.... :laugh:

I am also interested in surgery and em. How likely is it to be able to work in one of those areas no more than 50 hours a week? I want to have a family too!