What do employers look for?

Started by vc84
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vc84

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When going for job interviews will an employer really care that if a person has an extra 6 months of clinical education as compared to someone who had 1 year (which is for most schools I think), will it really matter???

Thanks!🙂
 
When going for job interviews will an employer really care that if a person has an extra 6 months of clinical education as compared to someone who had 1 year (which is for most schools I think), will it really matter???

Thanks!🙂

Here's the short ansewer:
Commercial: Anyone with a pulse
Private: Personality, some look at GPA and prefer residencies, others don't care at all. Half the time its probably luck.
Academics/referral sites: Most require residencies and some decent grades.

There are some schools with only 6 months? That's not good.
 
Thanks for the reply, there are NO schools with 6 months, there is a school with an extra 6 months (PCO) so basicaly 18 months vs. the typical 12 months.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's the short ansewer:
Commercial: Anyone with a pulse
Private: Personality, some look at GPA and prefer residencies, others don't care at all. Half the time its probably luck.
Academics/referral sites: Most require residencies and some decent grades.

There are some schools with only 6 months? That's not good.

I've worked in close to a dozen private offices and not a single one ever asked for my GPA. Most of them were happy that I had done a residency but would have hired me even if I hadn't. Having done a residency certainly did not garner me any higher salary.

The times that I have been in positions to hire associate ODs, I looked for someone with a personality and someone who has the ability to generate money for the office. Clinical skills and clinical knowledge were assumed by virtue of the fact that the person had a license.
 
I've worked in close to a dozen private offices and not a single one ever asked for my GPA. Most of them were happy that I had done a residency but would have hired me even if I hadn't. Having done a residency certainly did not garner me any higher salary.

The times that I have been in positions to hire associate ODs, I looked for someone with a personality and someone who has the ability to generate money for the office. Clinical skills and clinical knowledge were assumed by virtue of the fact that the person had a license.


That's a lot of faith KHE! I'm sure there are quite a few with very questionable clinical thinking abilities.