What do employers look for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vc84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When going for job interviews will an employer really care that if a person has an extra 6 months of clinical education as compared to someone who had 1 year (which is for most schools I think), will it really matter???

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

When going for job interviews will an employer really care that if a person has an extra 6 months of clinical education as compared to someone who had 1 year (which is for most schools I think), will it really matter???

Thanks!:)

Here's the short ansewer:
Commercial: Anyone with a pulse
Private: Personality, some look at GPA and prefer residencies, others don't care at all. Half the time its probably luck.
Academics/referral sites: Most require residencies and some decent grades.

There are some schools with only 6 months? That's not good.

Thanks for the reply, there are NO schools with 6 months, there is a school with an extra 6 months (PCO) so basicaly 18 months vs. the typical 12 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the short ansewer:
Commercial: Anyone with a pulse
Private: Personality, some look at GPA and prefer residencies, others don't care at all. Half the time its probably luck.
Academics/referral sites: Most require residencies and some decent grades.

There are some schools with only 6 months? That's not good.

I've worked in close to a dozen private offices and not a single one ever asked for my GPA. Most of them were happy that I had done a residency but would have hired me even if I hadn't. Having done a residency certainly did not garner me any higher salary.

The times that I have been in positions to hire associate ODs, I looked for someone with a personality and someone who has the ability to generate money for the office. Clinical skills and clinical knowledge were assumed by virtue of the fact that the person had a license.

I've worked in close to a dozen private offices and not a single one ever asked for my GPA. Most of them were happy that I had done a residency but would have hired me even if I hadn't. Having done a residency certainly did not garner me any higher salary.

The times that I have been in positions to hire associate ODs, I looked for someone with a personality and someone who has the ability to generate money for the office. Clinical skills and clinical knowledge were assumed by virtue of the fact that the person had a license.

That's a lot of faith KHE! I'm sure there are quite a few with very questionable clinical thinking abilities.