What do I do? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsd2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been browsing this forum alot but this is my first post. I'm going to be an incoming freshmen at UCSD this fall and if I plan to become a pharmacist I was wondering what should I major in? Biology? If I do, how will my course (year by year) go and how many years will I have to spend in pharmschool? Thanks!

I've been having trouble deciding on a career and I know I shouldn't worry about it now, but I'd still like to have an idea. I've been debating between business, nurse practitioner, and pharmacist. I've been on all three forums and I really have no clue what to do. It'd be great if I could recieve any input especially experiences in pharm school (the curriculum-not really a science fan) etc. Thanks so much!:) :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I've been browsing this forum alot but this is my first post. I'm going to be an incoming freshmen at UCSD this fall and if I plan to become a pharmacist I was wondering what should I major in? Biology? If I do, how will my course (year by year) go and how many years will I have to spend in pharmschool? Thanks!

I've been having trouble deciding on a career and I know I shouldn't worry about it now, but I'd still like to have an idea. I've been debating between business, nurse practitioner, and pharmacist. I've been on all three forums and I really have no clue what to do. It'd be great if I could recieve any input especially experiences in pharm school (the curriculum-not really a science fan) etc. Thanks so much!:) :D

Well, it sounds like you don't know what you want. Why do you want to pursue pharmacy? I'd think real hard about that question. You are a freshman in college. For now, I'd spend my time getting gen ed classes done, and maybe shadowing someone in the areas of interest. Then come back in 2 years.

If you do decide to pursue pharmacy, Bio is a good major, because it generally requires all of the same classes as school pre reqs.

Pharmacy would entail at least 2 years in undergrad but might take up to 4 year sin undergrad then another 3-4 years in pharmacy school depending on the school. Bio, chemistry, micro, biochem all would work for majors if you are thinking of healthcare field but any major would work as long as you take the prereq courses along with the courses in the major you choose. The pharmacy FAQ thread could answer many of your questions.

I agree with the above poster, take some science class, liberal arts bac core and some business classes and see what you like. You could also look into doing your undergrad in science with a business minor and then pursuing a pharmacy program that does a joint PharmD./MBA. There are many options out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy would entail at least 2 years in undergrad but might take up to 4 year sin undergrad then another 3-4 years in pharmacy school depending on the school. Bio, chemistry, micro, biochem all would work for majors if you are thinking of healthcare field but any major would work as long as you take the prereq courses along with the courses in the major you choose. The pharmacy FAQ thread could answer many of your questions.

I agree with the above poster, take some science class, liberal arts bac core and some business classes and see what you like. You could also look into doing your undergrad in science with a business minor and then pursuing a pharmacy program that does a joint PharmD./MBA. There are many options out there.

Most schools in California heavily weight the 4 year degree (I don't know if all of them grade applications higher for those that have it, but if you look at who gets accepted, I'd be willing to bet most have 4 yr degrees) That being the case your prereqs for the BA/BS should help refine your area of concentration. Not caring for science isn't usually a good thing for a science oriented degree, but it does depend on Why you don't like science as to whether you should reconsider or not. You'll be required to take economics, and several science classes. Use your undergrad GE requirements to find your niche. If you can work a few business classes in that count toward a Bio degree and then decide you'd like to switch you haven't wasted anything because you'll be required to take at least one science with a lab anyway, make it GChem, and if you like it keep going. Don't just rush in with your eyes wide shut. Take your maths in the mean time b/c they'll be required whether you go business/finance or Bio/Chem.

i heard that biology was the best to major in because i'll be able to get a higher gpa..?

i heard that biology was the best to major in because i'll be able to get a higher gpa..?

It'll help your science GPA if you can do well in those courses. But overloading on science classes that cause you do not perform as well can lower it. You just need limits to maintain a strong, but favorable GPA.

I think you can say that about any major. I certainly could maintain a higher GPA in chemistry than I could in math. Not that math is harder, I just don't care enough about advanced math courses to study it:)sleep: :sleep: ). Of course if you don't like science I'm not sure why you'd say a science major would be easy to maintain a high GPA. My opinion is the easiest major to maintain a high GPA in would be the one you're either most interested in or enjoy the most. If you're not sure what subject that will be, then go for what would be most efficient. That would be a science major, since most prereqs are science/math classes. Usually chemistry/biochemistry/biology have the most synergy.