What do I do if?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothBlaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say I get accepted to a dental school on December 1 (and I only have two weeks to accept/decline). However, my Top choice has not yet granted me an interview yet...
What do I do in this scenario?

Members don't see this ad.

Put in a deposit and you hope you get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if several schools grant me admission on December 1.
And won't the deposit(s) go to waste then?

You can put down deposits at multiple schools. As far as wasting your deposit, it really depends on the school. Some schools deposits are refundable, some aren't.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's a deposit and you could get out of your commitment(you'll likely lose $500 or so though.)

It would suck to lose this money, but I would strongly recommend accepting a spot at the end of the period if you don't hear from your top choice from then. It would really suck not to have a spot and you could make the decision later on if its worth it or not to forfeit your deposit. If its your dream school, I would say it is. But you don't want to have given up a chance to be enrolled somewhere and be stuck on the outside looking in.

EDIT: Put your deposit down at your favorite school you've been accepted to and hold out. No need to waste money putting deposits down for more than one.

What if several schools grant me admission on December 1.
And won't the deposit(s) go to waste then?

Put down the deposit at your favorite school, then hope for an interview from your top choice. But don't put down multiple deposits, because you will then just be holding up spots for other people at a school you wouldn't attend.

Wait the full length of the time you have to put a deposit down...most schools generally give 45 days, some only 30. I would wait until you only have a few days left, and if you haven't heard from your #1, send in a check. If you lose the money, no big deal...you got into your #1 school! I would pay more than just $1000 to make sure I got into a dental school.

I have had several interviews and perhaps several schools will offer me acceptance. I don't even really have a favorite chosen of the several schools I interviewed for. It is really a hard choice to pick from all of them. I have no idea where to send my deposit haha

I have had several interviews and perhaps several schools will offer me acceptance. I don't even really have a favorite chosen of the several schools I interviewed for. It is really a hard choice to pick from all of them. I have no idea where to send my deposit haha

I'm pretty sure everyone is in the same situation. But we all have to make the decision eventually.

Wait the full length of the time you have to put a deposit down...most schools generally give 45 days, some only 30. I would wait until you only have a few days left, and if you haven't heard from your #1, send in a check. If you lose the money, no big deal...you got into your #1 school! I would pay more than just $1000 to make sure I got into a dental school.

I'm 99% certain ALL schools must give you 30 days (if accepted anytime between Dec 1 and Jan 31). It's an ADEA rule, not a school-by-school rule. More info can be found here: ADEA Traffic Rules