What do I major in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdcd67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore in college and I decided that I wanted to do pharmacy, but I'm confused as to what to major in? I understand that it is too late to transfer out to a 0-6 year program...so in the meantime, should I just major in chemistry...get a bachelors...and then apply for pharmacy school? That would be about 8 years...

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in whatever you want as long as you complete the pre-requisites for the schools you're applying to.

I would suggest looking them up and seeing what overlaps with what major choices you have, maybe go see a counselor about it. If you don't care much about your bachelor's and just want to use it as a means to get into school, I could suggest you get a bio degree, as the pre-reqs will line up pretty nicely with the classes you take. I was a bio major partly for that reason, but I ended up liking it pretty well. :)

Well it depends on what pre-reqs you have already taken. When I first started out, all i had taken was chemistry. It seemed more difficult originally than I thought, though it's easier now for me. I started taking bio courses and aced those. Biology isn't necessarily easier to me, but I actually enjoy the studying. It's real life stuff. Just my two cents. Once you start taking the pre-req's, you'll figure it out for yourself. much luck friend. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think chemistry is good for pharmacy major. You will have to understand and be comfortable with difficult structure of the drugs. Biology is better for pre-med students. I personally do not like biology. I took microbiology and It was a hardest course I have ever taken so far.

I would suggest you major in something you are interested in. That way if Pharmacy doesn't work out, you have a back up plan to fall back on.

Okay, I understand that I need to complete my pre-reqs for pharmacy school, but I was checking and each pharmacy school has different pre-reqs. Some require certain courses and others don't.

Okay, I understand that I need to complete my pre-reqs for pharmacy school, but I was checking and each pharmacy school has different pre-reqs. Some require certain courses and others don't.

That's right. Most pharmacy schools vary by 1-5 classes. so it would be best if you hit all "normal" subjects that pharmacy schools are requiring now ...

Biology 1&2, Chemistry 1&2, Microbiology, Anatomy & Physiology 1&2, Organic Chemistry 1&2, Calculus 1&2, Physics 1&2, Statistics, and then all general degree stuff. Then when you narrrow down what school you really want to go to then take those last specialized courses that may be required like immunology, genetics, etc...