What do I need to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rxbound

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Short and sweet. Graduating from Pharm school in May. 3.2 GPA (both under- and grad). Research experience with poster/publication. Want to apply to both MD/DO, but realize my GPA is low. No MCAT as of yet. Would a post-bac help? SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just do the MCAT what is another set of classes suppose to do? You will be fine. Worry about your EC's

I'd recommend working for a couple of years as pharmacist, so that you get full credit for having a bit of a healthcare career, and so that you're not carrying ridiculous debt (if you have debt) into med school. And so that there's a dividing line that separates your 3.2 effort from your 3.7+ effort after deciding to pursue med school.

Meanwhile get a very competitive MCAT score by October (of some year), so that you can apply in October to the good SMPs for the following August.

See the postbac forum for more info on GPA enhancement options.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I should have added that my BA is from 2002, so most of my science credits are close to 10 years old (with the exception of Gen Chem 2, both Organics, and Physics 1). SMP still the way to go?

You definitely need to take the MCAT and see how you do; that is going to determine your course of action; unless you get a stellar score like above 35, because of your low GPA you would have to do a SMP! My GPA was 3.45 and I know that if I don't do at least a 34 or higher I can forget allopathic school and would have to apply to a SMP in order to prove myself to those schools that I can do the work!

for me its either going to be the SMP route or PA school! its all going to depend on the stupid MCAT!!!

best of luck to you!