What do i need to take before applying for UofT pharmacy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madcow043

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi there, i'm in my 3rd year of life sciences at u of t so i'll be able to give u some advice. these grades look good to me! but i strongly recommend that you not choose u of t to do your undergrad b/c it IS very intense and competitive (in my opinion;) ). give yourself an easier time and complete your pre-reqs at a less stressful place. furthermore, u of t does not give admission preference to its own students

competitive admission averages are rising every year, in addition you will be writing the PCAT as part of the requirement when you apply. the rest of the details u can look up on the program website -> www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca

i hope that helped!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi there, i'm in my 3rd year of life sciences at u of t so i'll be able to give u some advice. these grades look good to me! but i strongly recommend that you not choose u of t to do your undergrad b/c it IS very intense and competitive (in my opinion;) ). give yourself an easier time and complete your pre-reqs at a less stressful place. furthermore, u of t does not give admission preference to its own students

competitive admission averages are rising every year, in addition you will be writing the PCAT as part of the requirement when you apply. the rest of the details u can look up on the program website -> www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca

i hope that helped!

Last edited:
umm..anywhere else really is fine.haha. mcmaster, queen's (that's competitive too), waterloo all have good reputation. (you may want to talk to your hs counsellor about this..and also visit their campuses or sth)

since you're at richmond hill location wise you're restricted to the two only pharm schools in canada: u of t and waterloo. i definitely recommend you to apply to both.

again, you can look up waterloo's requirements at www.pharmacy.uwaterloo.ca but here's everything in a nutshell: waterloo is much newer (has only admitted the first class of students) and require pre-requisites that normally cannot be completed until you finish your 2nd or even 3rd year. you will need to write a personal statement describing your interests for a pharmacy career, outline all your ECs (extracurriculars), and any pharmacy experience you've had. Speaking of which, def. try to get pharm experience either working at retail drugstores or volunteering in hospitals, or anywhere else that gives you pharm-related exposure. job-shadowing pharmacists is a good start as well. b/c this background will give more depth to your personal statement if you do write in the future..oh and also you'll need a reference letter preferably from a pharmacist. and if u get through all that you'll be invited to an interview- the stage I'm at now! :)

sounds like a lot of requirements but one good side is you won't have to write PCAT..haha. a lot of students who apply for pharmacy schools for the first time don't get in ..but if you really think pharmacy is your thing then you shouldn't give up! i dont' recommend applying to out-of-province schools b/c a lot of them need first year english (and you wouldn't want to take english again in uni right? :p also if you're choosing to do a life science program at any university they likely won't have space for you to enroll in an english course in your first year.. you can check on that- i might be wrong) and also they tend to favour in-province applicants.

umm..i think that's all i wanted to say. .:laugh:

there are many other ontarians on this pre-pharm forum that can give u advice too..so wait as more comments roll in!

my gr 12 hs average was around 91 and i'm currently an undergrad at u of t
i'm not sure about applying to the states..i never really thought about that option..sorry can't help you on that. but most of the ppl on this forum are from the states =)

LOL i don't remember..haha

but keep in mind hs grades are not reflective of how well you'll do in uni cuz the learning environment will be much more independent and fast-paced. so ..ya although 91 was a shining number ..heh i wished i'd get 10% less of that now =P haha..nah it's not too bad just if you can adapt to the change you'll be fine

man..i might as well add you on msn or sth! jk =P