What do if I don't match peds but still want to keep trying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PediatricMan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor told me that most scramble or have a backup in FM but what if I want to try again the next year for peds? Should I apply to pediatric preliminary programs?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I would forget about the prelim programs. There are very few prelim Peds programs and those spots are filled by very competitive applicants (like people who are also matching derm for advanced).

It's up to you what you would want to do. If you can scramble into a Peds spot, then great. If you can't, however, what would make your application more competitive next year? If you're not more competitive the next time around then it's not likely the outcome will be very different (unless you just didn't apply to a wide enough range of programs this time). If that's the case, why not consider FM, especially if interested in outpatient Peds?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I would forget about the prelim programs. There are very few prelim Peds programs and those spots are filled by very competitive applicants (like people who are also matching derm for advanced).

It's up to you what you would want to do. If you can scramble into a Peds spot, then great. If you can't, however, what would make your application more competitive next year? If you're not more competitive the next time around then it's not likely the outcome will be very different (unless you just didn't apply to a wide enough range of programs this time). If that's the case, why not consider FM, especially if interested in outpatient Peds?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was thinking a TRI year but not sure how much more competitive that will make me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile